E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any interest in Back up camera ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

That BMW OEM reverse camera is not IR enabled.

Also I would be very interested to see the BMW PDC graphics on top of the reverse image. I hope you don't mean the distance label like some manufacturers offer.

Any interest in Back up camera ?-camera_label.gif
Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1046895' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:23 AM
I've done so much research in this area so I thought I'll comment.

You WILL need an integration module for this to be visible on the idrive screen. This can be either ACM/Dension AVR/Nav-TV or BMW's own OEM reverse camera modules.

You WILL NOT get the PDC display on the screen, you have to either choose between PDC graphics or the camera image. The PDC beeps will still be there.

It does replace one of your licence plate lights but you dont loose a light because this has one, however it may not match your other side, so worth thinking about.
Good info Bruce.

To the OP. This looks like a great mod. Hope to see some installed pics of it working.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Contributors

This looks to be a very good mod if all the kinks are worked out and compatibility can be confirmed.

Subscribed.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW M3

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1047008' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:36 AM

Also I would be very interested to see the BMW PDC graphics on top of the reverse image. I hope you don't mean the distance label like some manufacturers offer.

Attachment 93539

I'll try to post a picture as soon as I'll get it ... I have in in PDF, but can't copy and past it ...
Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

I wanted to jump in here and clarify the facts on the two camera systems being discussed.

1) The BMW system consists of the ACM ( accessory control menu ) and the optional backup camera kit. Check realoem.com for part numbers in the retrofits section. This part is not available in all markets ( such as North America ) so you might have to use an importer to get it. There is no programming needed* This unit has front / rear camera inputs and DVD input. You have your choice of PDC or camera image. There is no split screen. This unit works on all E60 with the square LVDS video display cable. You can use factory or aftermarket cameras with the unit. There are no parking guidelines generated by the ACM, however if you use an aftermarket camera with that feature, it will appear on the screen. As a bonus you get a coolant temperature gage.

2) The aftermarket systems are can bus based units that have 2 video inputs + rear camera input. You can use factory or aftermarket cameras. This unit can be programmed to generate parking guidelines. You are not limited to just PDC or just camera image. You can have split screen camera with PDC image, picture in picture, full screen PDC, or full screen camera image. Those options are selected using the star button on the steering wheel. You also have full screen or split screen options on the video inputs. This unit is video input only, so for DVD you have to have the aux input feature enabled. There are two versions of this unit, one if for the square LVDS connector and one is for the new round connector.

* the ACM would need programming to run DVD or USB audio if the aux input is not enabled, however US dealers can add this feature.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by doba_s' post='1046672' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:23 PM
Hey guys,

I don't post here a lot, but decided to see if there is any interest in getting a "rear view camera" for your car ... I am working on putting a kit together that will be pretty much "plug and play" without making any changes to your trunk and without loosing your trunk lock. The system will be hooked up to your iDrive system and as an option you will be able to add a front view camera, night vision system and play movies from your iPod or Iphone as well.

Here are some quick pics of the camera on my car ( it is not hooked up yet, I am just test fitting it)

If you think this is something that you would like to have, feel free to pm me or e-mail me ( doba_s@mac.com ). Like I said, I don't post here a lot, so the best way to contact me will be via e-mail !

All sound very interesting so am I in it... very interested. I'll also like to see it in action and the install DIY kind pictures and hopefully some kind of install help, if needed as I live in the same neck of woods as the OP..
Subscribed and watching.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='1047503' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:03 PM
All sound very interesting so am I in it... very interested. I'll also like to see it in action and the install DIY kind pictures and hopefully some kind of install help, if needed as I live in the same neck of woods as the OP..
Subscribed and watching.

It would be great to have somebody from this forum to participate in the installation of the kit on their car ...

I did a quick camera fitting test on e60 M5 and it fits very nice !

Here are a few pictures ... Sorry for the car being so dirty ( not my car but still feel bad for it )

Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by doba_s' post='1046888' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:16 AM
As fas as I know it doesn't require any additional modules. I will do a test on e60 M5 in a week or so and report back. But I am 99.9% positive that you don't need anything else.

Yes, you will be able to see/hear the PDC sensor diagram on the screen at the same time.

If the license plate light housing is the same as on e60, then it would work on e61 too.

The price is still TBD , but it will be cheaper than BMW OEM kit and it will also give you an option to add extra features like ( night vision, front view camera, ) at extra cost.
Yes, I will do a GBs.
I think I have a good idea what interface you are using from the way you are describing the product. I think you are talking about a really cool camera (slick mount with built in led and infer red) plus this module...( this a 2010 shown here )
Attached Thumbnails Any interest in Back up camera ?-can_bus_interface.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1047008' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:36 AM

Bruce, here is a picture of camera+pdc at the same time

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Any interest in Back up camera ?-pdc.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Members

*** QUOTE***It would be great to have somebody from this forum to participate in the installation of the kit on their car ...

I did a quick camera fitting test on e60 M5 and it fits very nice !

Here are a few pictures ... Sorry for the car being so dirty ( not my car but still feel bad for it )*** END QUOTE***

I think you are selling a backup camera + the aftermarket video interface that I talked about right? If your offering a plug and play harness for everything that would be great.

You showed us the rear camera image with the PDC in the top left corner of the screen, I assume your "system" also offers full screen regular, and slit screen right? These images are off the 2010 I showed earlier.
Attached Thumbnails Any interest in Back up camera ?-split_screen_backup__pdc_.jpg   Any interest in Back up camera ?-full_screen_backup_image.jpg   Any interest in Back up camera ?-pic_in_pic_backup_.jpg  

Quick Reply: Any interest in Back up camera ?