E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any interest in Back up camera ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by doba_s' post='1046888' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:16 PM
As fas as I know it doesn't require any additional modules. I will do a test on e60 M5 in a week or so and report back. But I am 99.9% positive that you don't need anything else.

Yes, you will be able to see/hear the PDC sensor diagram on the screen at the same time.

If the license plate light housing is the same as on e60, then it would work on e61 too.

The price is still TBD , but it will be cheaper than BMW OEM kit and it will also give you an option to add extra features like ( night vision, front view camera, ) at extra cost.
Yes, I will do a GBs.
I've done so much research in this area so I thought I'll comment.

You WILL need an integration module for this to be visible on the idrive screen. This can be either ACM/Dension AVR/Nav-TV or BMW's own OEM reverse camera modules.

You WILL NOT get the PDC display on the screen, you have to either choose between PDC graphics or the camera image. The PDC beeps will still be there.

It does replace one of your licence plate lights but you dont loose a light because this has one, however it may not match your other side, so worth thinking about.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i Alpine White Saddle Brown Interior (Gone, but not forgotten) :'( 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE Black/Tan

Originally Posted by doba_s' post='1046672' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:23 AM
Hey guys,

I don't post here a lot, but decided to see if there is any interest in getting a "rear view camera" for your car ... I am working on putting a kit together that will be pretty much "plug and play" without making any changes to your trunk and without loosing your trunk lock. The system will be hooked up to your iDrive system and as an option you will be able to add a front view camera, night vision system and play movies from your iPod or Iphone as well.

Here are some quick pics of the camera on my car ( it is not hooked up yet, I am just test fitting it)

If you think this is something that you would like to have, feel free to pm me or e-mail me ( doba_s@mac.com ). Like I said, I don't post here a lot, so the best way to contact me will be via e-mail !

I have the new idrive and the rear view camera that could be installed on my car is through the BMW accessories at my dealer as an option. The one they would install would be the same camera used in the new 7 series connected to the idrive and I'm thinking of getting it installed its around $1000-$1500 . Where I come from this is cheap
Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by beeming beauty' post='1046903' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:34 PM
I have the new idrive and the rear view camera that could be installed on my car is through the BMW accessories at my dealer as an option. The one they would install would be the same camera used in the new 7 series connected to the idrive and I'm thinking of getting it installed its around $1000-$1500 . Where I come from this is cheap
And don't you feel cheated when the BMW camera does not have IR sensors so in the night the camera is just plain pointless! I am looking to replace my rear camera with an IR camera but the GBP to USD is not what it used to be before.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i Alpine White Saddle Brown Interior (Gone, but not forgotten) :'( 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE Black/Tan

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1046906' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:37 PM
And don't you feel cheated when the BMW camera does not have IR sensors so in the night the camera is just plain pointless! I am looking to replace my rear camera with an IR camera but the GBP to USD is not what it used to be before.
It includes the IR sensors unlike the old unofficial ones used
Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beeming beauty' post='1046915' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:47 PM
It includes the IR sensors unlike the old unofficial ones used
I learn something new everyday. What is the BMW part number for this IR rear camera?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well this is interesting, I would be interested as well, given the correct features, ease of install, and pricing of course.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1046906' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:37 PM
Attached Thumbnails Any interest in Back up camera ?-rear_camera.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW M3

The kit I am trying to put together is oriented for US buyers. You can purchase BMW OEM kit but non of the US dealers will be able to re-flash ECU and make it work ( which is not the case with European vehicles). The price of the kit will be much less of what was posted above ($1000-1500).

You WILL NOT get the PDC display on the screen, you have to either choose between PDC graphics or the camera image. The PDC beeps will still be there.
With my kit you will be able to see both at the same time.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Members

I'm very interested....my wife drives the car a lot
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributors

I'm def interested too -- but like everyone else, I'll have to wait and see how your final product comes out, complete with clear, illustrative photos of everything you have advertised, as well as past references concerning your honesty and business practices. NOT implying anything, really, and I'm sure you understand why someone would need to have this information when handing over funds via a forums-based web site. I have always been lucky in the past and want to keep it that way.

We have all this on our X5, including watching movies, etc. and I'd love my 5 to match.

Quick Reply: Any interest in Back up camera ?