E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Advice on Pre LCI Xenon to LCI Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Georgieb
nomis,
Forgive my ignorance on this. I did some more research in the forums and have come to realize that you are also very adept at programming etc when it comes to our cars. Having said that, I now have more insight on why you might ask this question. Have you had experience in re-coding the LCM and AHL modules and was their a problem with this from your perspective?

Thanks for the input!
The reason I ask is because there seems to be conflicting answers regarding this. A respected member that has done the conversion before me recommended buying new, but I was thinking about it logically, and I would think an used set would work just fine.

That is why I was wondering if there's a confirmation about this.
The following users liked this post:
KingKashi (02-08-2020)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
The reason I ask is because there seems to be conflicting answers regarding this. A respected member that has done the conversion before me recommended buying new, but I was thinking about it logically, and I would think an used set would work just fine.

That is why I was wondering if there's a confirmation about this.
Nomis,
With Patryk's help I should be able to confirm or dispute the functionality of our old AHL modules, re-programmed with the new LCI Lamps. I haven't bought any for my install so I'm hoping for the best also. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Sounds good. Realistically, if someone has an old one and wants me to try to code it, I would know, lol. But it's not everyday that people want to do this conversion.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Well it took some doing and some shrewd negotiations on eBay but I was able to buy the RT light fixture NEW (Hella OEM) for USD $350.00 and the LT light fixture USED but no broken tabs and a very clean lens (Hella OEM) for USD $225.00. Both have the servo motors for AHL but no Xenon bulbs, ballasts or AHL modules (Fairly standard for most headlights found on eBay for the E60). They came from different sellers. So @ $575.00 for the pair, I did fairly well.
This mod has been fighting me tooth and nail! As it turns out the used fixture I bought on eBay was a complete piece of junk! It did not look like the headlight pictures posted in the auction at all. It was missing the mounting bracket altogether, had a huge crack running alongside the bottom of the light, had a hole (yes, you read that right) in the underside where another mounting clip used to be. The list goes on. I've now shipped the headlight back and purchased another one from eBay and am waiting for that to arrive. By comparison the new RT light fixture I bought is in perfect condition!

Hopefully I can finally put this one to bed in a few weeks.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Contributors

nomis_nehc,
I've started fooling around with NCSExpert. Any advice on how to code the new LMAII module once it is installed?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Sure, just code it with a blank .MAN file and it will code it by default from the factory. And voila. Done.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Sure, just code it with a blank .MAN file and it will code it by default from the factory. And voila. Done.
Nice, thanks Simon!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Simon or any others in the know, help!
I did the LCI conversion on my car today with Headlights and Tail Lights and it seems that something is going wrong with the coding portion. Here's what I've done...

- I've added a newer date-code to my VO so that NCSExpert shows the LMA module. (I installed the new module today as I have a pre 0709 production E60). For reference the module shows up as LMA, not LMA2 or LM2. Is this correct?

- I also added +MUEB to my VO

- I coded the LMA with an empty *.MAN file to ensure that I started the module with a clean flash. Front Headlights work flawlessly. I even made some coding changes like disabling the Eyebrows etc which all worked. I even re-coded the CAS with a clean flash for good measure.

The problem is I am getting the following errors in iDrive although the rear Tail lights appear to be working just fine. Driving lights work and brake lights work).

Right tail lamp malfunction
Left tail lamp malfunction
Right brake lamp malfunction
Left brake lamp malfunction

I'm pretty sure my wiring is solid but experience tells me I should not rule anything out. I'm been in the garage all day with this...Arrgghh!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Nigel,

Did you rearrange the pins on the taillight harness? Some of them are not correct.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Did you rearrange the pins on the taillight harness? Some of them are not correct.
Holy crap Nelson, no I did not!!! (Great to hear from you BDW!!!). I was pretty sure the instructions didn't mention re-arranging pins for the E60. Lemmie go check again now.

Quick Reply: Advice on Pre LCI Xenon to LCI Xenon