E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ACM/USB retrofit just released

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Nick/Andy - Got anywhere with this kit yet on the older ACMs?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='592799' date='Jun 1 2008, 01:24 PM
Nick/Andy - Got anywhere with this kit yet on the older ACMs?
Bruce, I didn't try it at all

I'll have today the new version ACM installation instructions.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Contributors

Ok, I just got the new instructions. Haven't read it yet, but looks like it's been updated. Much more informative than previous ACM inst. version, since A17, A18, A19, A20 branches have been added

ASAP title: Retrofit kit Round Vision with... ACM kit, part# 65500441372

accesory_menu_ACM.pdf

ACM/USB retrofit just released-asap_65500441372_low.jpg
Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

What is amazing is that BMW still think they can do the installation of the ACM in 1.75 hours. And Hurray I finally learn what the AUX position stuff in the Set-Up menu is all about. These instructions are so much better than all the previous versions.

Nick, even though there are lots of new connectors etc it doesn't really matter because all the new connectors are really doing is avoiding having to go behind the CCC for the Aux connection but instead using the USB port if you have it. The extra power connectors are connected the the existing power cables itself so again nothing really lost here. And as per my previous note, they have converted one of the camera inputs to the USB interface - but the problem is the version of the ACM I have only has 2 camera that can be enabled.

Have you tried connecting the USB interface to one of the working camera inputs after supplying power to see what is displayed on the screen? I still dont understand how the RX, TX and Ground for the USB interface are meant to be connected especially if you have the OEM DVD/DVT connected which expects these inputs to be connected to the ACM for communication.

BMW are quite bad in their documentation because they say the instructions are for all ACM models but imagine the poor installer trying to following these instructions for any of the previous generation ACMs.

What is missing in these instructions is how do you get the firmware of the ACM / CAN upgraded if at all.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Nick, Just compared the two ACM circuit diagrams and the ACM units have changed RX, TX and Ground for the rear DVD/DVT inputs and instead now use new pins and thus the pins needed for the USB circuit are free but on the older ACM those pins have the DVD pins connected. The CAN unit still appears to have the same wiring diagram.

So my summary is that unless you can upgrade the software on the ACM and then rewire the plug going to the ACM - your USB interface will not work with the older ACMs.

With something so fundamentally different I don't understand why BMW do not mention that the USB interface cannot work with any other ACM beside the latest one. Also why do the ACM instructions say it applies to all models when clearly it doesn't.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='594803
With something so fundamentally different I don't understand why BMW do not mention that the USB interface cannot work with any other ACM beside the latest one. Also why do the ACM instructions say it applies to all models when clearly it doesn't.
Our older version ACMs are mentioned in the very first paragraph, so BMW makes us sure that they are compatible ..but they aren't :thumbsdown:

Can we claim for a free ACM upgrade due to their incorrect information about USB compatibility? I have kept the invoice of the USB intact
Old 06-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Contributors

I'm sure you are going to press BMW in this area so keep up posted as to how you get on. For the moment if you are keep to get USB audio and video then simply buy a Media Player and stick a laptop harddrive in there and plug that into your current ACM. Its the same except the Media Player will come with its own remote.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midget' post='582198' date='May 16 2008, 06:22 PM
Installing the ACM is quite a lot of work if you are not familair with removing the trim of your car. It took me a couple of days before the install was complete. The good news is that it does NOT neet coding.

I now see that my ACM is already an older version as I have no menu option "USB".

Hi Midget, I have seen that you

have the dvb-t bmw, you can connect a generic dvd player to the rca of the dvb-t and see a dvd on the idrive lcd with tha ACM??

Can you post some images?? Than you very much and sorry for my English.

Michele
Old 06-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by rantei' post='603031' date='Jun 15 2008, 08:28 AM
Hi Midget, I have seen that you

have the dvb-t bmw, you can connect a generic dvd player to the rca of the dvb-t and see a dvd on the idrive lcd with tha ACM??

Can you post some images?? Than you very much and sorry for my English.

Michele
Is the ACM module included in new May 2008 production cars?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by juris335' post='603060' date='Jun 15 2008, 04:57 PM
Is the ACM module included in new May 2008 production cars?

Why should it be included ?

Quick Reply: ACM/USB retrofit just released