E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ACM/USB retrofit just released

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='632297' date='Jul 25 2008, 12:17 PM
Nick is probably the only guy who has new ACM and the USB on the E60. The UK price for the USB is posted in this thread. There was someone else who said that they installed it in the E87.

Nick, what's the status of your ACM/USB install?
Hi chaps,

I am the newbie who mentioned the other day about an official SA6FL retrofit kit as I do not want to lose the multichanger, although it is USB I am after and not ipod interface (maybe in the future but not an itunes fan ). Bruce, you mention in another thread to me (newcomers) about why bother with retrofit 6FL with the ACM/USB kit that is available. Just to clear my confusion as it says in the instructions that I have downloaded from this thread that it is only for cars post 03/2008. Will it work on my 11/2007 LCI. If so does my car already have the ACM or do I need to buy and retrofit both. Certainly sir, I agree that this seems to offer much more than 6FL but my dealer did not mention this option. This would also allow me to install DVD and TV function without the exorbitant cost of the official BMW dealer ones.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, removed the previous and installed the recent ACM Version (level2) along with the USB interface. Here are some pics.

Aux-input has not been coded yet, so I have no comments about sound quality and functionality, but I'll do it shortly.

Overall, a nice add-on, but with ancient (Widows 3,1 like) GUI and not so clear picture at 640x480 pic res, maybe because of the low-res monitor, but I'll check with higher res pictures and videos tomorrow. Quicktime .mov videos does not supported, but all the other most common does, like avi, mpeg, vob, wmv, divx. Picture viewer and superimposed slide show worked nice with .jpgs, also you can go the pictures back and forth with the I-drive knob. Pictures and videos are scalable to 16/9 and zoom-in (4 options)

I used a memory card adapter with a 2GB card on it. It worked well with FAT format, it does not work with FAT32, I also tried with a 2.5" USB powered 60GB external HDD, but had no luck because it was formatter with FAT32 file system.

Bruce, can you please inform me the OEM part#, or where I could find the rear male USB connector for the OEM USB/AUX-IN socket? (or aftermarket extension USB cable with this kind of connector ...for modification) See the last pics. You know much about pins and special connectors, so I hope you can help me on this.

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9431__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9432__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9438__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9440__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9441__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9446__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9447__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9448__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9454__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9455__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9457__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9462__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9482__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9473__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9478__large_.jpg

ACM/USB retrofit just released-dscn9468__large_.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 AM
rah
Members

My Ride: 525dA LCI 08, space grey, M-tech, Advantage, Comfort, Nav Pro 8.8, voice, black dakota, seat heating front and back, active steering, comfort access, comfort seats, glasroof, auxiliary heating, head-up, night vision, bluetooth, DVD multimedia package in backseat, satin chrom, auto headlight control, PDC, adaptive headlights, CDC, HIFI, remaped 240hp 500nm

Should I go fo the ACM/USB or Dension Gateway 500 if my focus is sound?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='655788' date='Aug 27 2008, 11:08 PM
Bruce, can you please inform me the OEM part#, or where I could find the rear male USB connector for the OEM USB/AUX-IN socket? (or aftermarket extension USB cable with this kind of connector ...for modification) See the last pics. You know much about pins and special connectors, so I hope you can help me on this.
I dont know about the round connector because even the ETK wants you to request the part from BMW. But the flat one is a standard 4 pin socket holder I think. So you need one 61138380696 and 4 x 61130005197 or 61130006663 (if you want thicker wires). If you want the contacts without the wires that you will crimp yourself then you need 4 x 61131383776 or 61131393724 (for the thicker wires).

But if you just want the USB socket then why not buy one of these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=6120756 and put them on a panel somewhere in reach rather than the USB stick in the back.

I see that even on the USB display you get the black vertical bars at the side. The only person who I've seen with the ACM that does not get those black bars is

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=561144
Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Bruce!

Well some update here,

This version of ACM and USB units are upgradable via USB port. There's a "USB upgrade" button into the "service menu", so I suppose from now on, it can be updated with new add-ons or fixes, uploading a new firmware via USB port.

I bought a 2.5" WD Passport Essential 320GB USB HDD with thousand of Divx music videos/mp3/jpg and it works perfectly, formatted with FAT32 file system. Also, picture quality is good enough with the higher quality vids and pics I tried today. It even plays VOB files from DVD/VIDEO_TS folder structures.

Seems like the other 60GB (Hitachi) that I checked yesterday is more power-hungry.

You can move to the next and previous video file or audio track via the steering wheel up/down buttons, so I assume, it will work with the voice input as well, although I forgot to check, but for viewing pictures it works only by rotating the I-drive knob, or by the slide show feature. I like it! Now I need to find some time to go and have the AUX input retrofitted and if the sound is good enough for my fussy ears, then I'll be in love with it
Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='657501' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:23 PM
You can move to the next and previous video file or audio track via the steering wheel up/down buttons, so I assume, it will work with the voice input as well, although I forgot to check, but for viewing pictures it works only by rotating the I-drive knob, or by the slide show feature. I like it! Now I need to find some time to go and have the AUX input retrofitted and if the sound is good enough for my fussy ears, then I'll be in love with it
Looks great Nick!

I can't wait to get mine working.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by rah' post='656364' date='Aug 28 2008, 06:38 PM
Should I go fo the ACM/USB or Dension Gateway 500 if my focus is sound?
Yes.
From my experience with GW500, pay attention on driving: having a lot of mp3 brings you to distract.
I am pretty worried about it.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Members

is this available in he uk yet? - will it give me bluetooth for a car that doesnt have TCU or any bluetooth wiring? and voice idrive navigation

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='659187' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:14 PM
Yes.
From my experience with GW500, pay attention on driving: having a lot of mp3 brings you to distract.
I am pretty worried about it.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

ACM is not a miracle option where-in it will give you everything your car doesn't have :-) All it does is allows you to connect VIDEO (not even AUDIO) to your iDrive screen. AUDIO is done via the AUX-IN.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

When I see pictures like that, I know bruce is involved!!

Quick Reply: ACM/USB retrofit just released