E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i Project Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
dsm
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Popular Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close, Heated Steering wheel, Dynamic Drive, Voice commands

I am beginning to think that we will see the year 2020 before we see any videos in this thread....
Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wtlb
Nice pics
One of the m5board members took those pics. Thom5. Nice guy, too. Talented photographer.

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Dude, you better marry this girl if she is willing to work on your car with you. Sounds like a keeper.

EDIT: I'm also just a short drive up I-5 away, so when those of you in the PNW decide to meet up for a beer and talk cars, do let me know. Would love to see and hear your car in person.
The "Burgers and BMW's" at XXX is happening this coming Saturday.. Lots of people with different projects. The food is good too if you like burgers and malts/shakes and that sort of thing. The event is free and open to the public as well but it is hosted by the BMWCCA. Here are the details if you're interested: http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=46732

Originally Posted by DaveDinan5
Looking to buy the SC from ESS for my 545i, good luck on the build!
Sweet! You'll love it. Please keep us posted.

Originally Posted by boots
Good job West.
Hi boots. Thanks man.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Cinder
Would love to see some inside/outside/speedo acceleration vids. You also mentioned that you were going to do a run with some M5, it would be really good to see how you stand up to an M5
Yeah. I'm a little curious too. The modded M5 doesn't want to race the 550i from a dig so it might make sense to look for somebody willing to do a more comprehensive experiment. Pretty low on the priority list.

Originally Posted by dsm
I am beginning to think that we will see the year 2020 before we see any videos in this thread....
Sorry guys. Been a bit busy with non car things as of late. Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JjVfdCn7Co

Oh, somewhere around 1:20 a guy with a supercharged Ford pulls past the 550i.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 AM
dsm
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Popular Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close, Heated Steering wheel, Dynamic Drive, Voice commands

amazing sound man.. especially love the part when the cls comes up haha.. now if you could only post some 0- or 60- vids.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

great video! I recognize a lot of the areas in seattle where you filmed this video!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

so how much faster is your car now?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:07 PM
New Members

Quick question.. How much did this all cost, and for that money wouldn't it have been easier to just buy and install a s85 engine? The only reason i ask is because i have a friend who has been begging me to rebuild his 550. He is trying to keep up with my car, and when i looked for mods to get the car upwards of 700 horses there just is not much you can do with this engine.. I mean i could build him a custom twin turbo set up but even then we would spend more money then just transplanting in a different engine...
Old 05-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Members

S85 would cost way more and would be crazy money to even get the S85 to 700hp. 5 series isn't a drag car
Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfiveserie1818
great video! I recognize a lot of the areas in seattle where you filmed this video!
Seattle

Originally Posted by turboawd
so how much faster is your car now?
Dunno yet. Still need to do some benchmarking. Forgive me for being scientific.

Originally Posted by dzero196
Quick question.. How much did this all cost, and for that money wouldn't it have been easier to just buy and install a s85 engine? The only reason i ask is because i have a friend who has been begging me to rebuild his 550. He is trying to keep up with my car, and when i looked for mods to get the car upwards of 700 horses there just is not much you can do with this engine.. I mean i could build him a custom twin turbo set up but even then we would spend more money then just transplanting in a different engine...
Yeah, if you do the work yourself, it might be easier to just buy and install an S85. 700 horses (assuming you mean at the wheels) should be possible to achieve with the N62. The S62 is a different animal, but the closest engine in the BMW family I can use to draw comparisons so here is an S62 build thread you and your friend might think is worth reading: S62: DallasM5 10.0:1 compression S62 forged internal vortech supercharged build. The parts list is pretty straightforward and could be done in a week/weekend.

Oh, ended up re-posted that sound clip video in hidef so the previous link may be broken now:

Last edited by west; 06-21-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by west
The "Burgers and BMW's" at XXX is happening this coming Saturday.. Lots of people with different projects. The food is good too if you like burgers and malts/shakes and that sort of thing. The event is free and open to the public as well but it is hosted by the BMWCCA. Here are the details if you're interested: http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=46732
Thanks for the heads up. I really hope to make it to this.

Quick Reply: 550i Project Journal