E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i Project Journal

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mapleridge
wow. amazing work. Do you smell gas when idling because of being cat less and how bad is the drone in the cabin?
Thank you sir. A number of people were involved in putting pieces together for this one. You can totally smell the gas when the car is on. It smells like an old car from the 60's or 70's. It smells even better now that it drinks this stuff. The drone is very noticeable.
Name:  Trick_zps36354198.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  93.3 KB

Originally Posted by radzM
impressive gains!
Thanks man. The latest mod might take away from those gains:
Name:  LatestMod_zps458b5914.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  94.3 KB

Last edited by west; 03-12-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick car!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dsblk93gt
Sick car!!!
Thank you. Currently tossing some gauges in it so we can keep an eye on AFR's.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics:
Name:  Wires1_zps83e7d77d.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  Modular_zpsbb343916.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  101.6 KB
Name:  OLED_zpsde9ed06b.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  85.2 KB
Name:  Modules_zpscbe4e883.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  96.8 KB
Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

Hey man looks like your project is moving forward. Thats awesome. I'm glad I didn't move on that charger like you did as you probably know I pulled the plug on a new M5 back in early Dec. and Im happy I waited. Nothing like it man. Best wishes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 550i Black/Sand. Dinan free flow intake, throttle body, carbon fiber strut brace, and exhaust. Carbon fiber engine cover. Blend mount for a Belltronics RD w/mirror tap. Smoke LED taillights. Projector fog-lites w/HID kit.

Originally Posted by boots
Hey man looks like your project is moving forward. Thats awesome. I'm glad I didn't move on that charger like you did as you probably know I pulled the plug on a new M5 back in early Dec. and Im happy I waited. Nothing like it man. Best wishes
Sounds like someone took the "path MORE traveled", LOL!! JK... I'm sure it's made quite a difference none-the-less, hehe
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Congratulations boots. Saw the photos of you picking the car up. Looks really nice.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

Originally Posted by marine8551
Sounds like someone took the "path MORE traveled", LOL!! JK... I'm sure it's made quite a difference none-the-less, hehe
Yea, back then I didn't know what I wanted to do to the 550. I was going to do what West did, but still wanted a different vehicle. But I always wanted an M5 no matter what so I said what the heck and did the damn thang.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 550i Black/Sand. Dinan free flow intake, throttle body, carbon fiber strut brace, and exhaust. Carbon fiber engine cover. Blend mount for a Belltronics RD w/mirror tap. Smoke LED taillights. Projector fog-lites w/HID kit.

Yea, back then I didn't know what I wanted to do to the 550. I was going to do what West did, but still wanted a different vehicle. But I always wanted an M5 no matter what so I said what the heck and did the damn thang.
More power to ya bud, i dont fault you one bit. Im well and truly married to my 550 now, but i gotta tell ya, if i can ever find room in my life for another mistress, well.... Im not saying anything, the driveways way to close, someone could hear me...
Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

Have a number of mods in the works right now so wanted to share a little update.

Sent the brakes out to have the Brembo logos removed, as well as to get a couple small paint chips fixed that were a result of mishandled wheels by Les Schwab and Discount Tire. The brakes should be ready tomorrow, so will make an effort to post some photos of those when they are back in my possession. Looking forward to seeing what they look like!

Dropped the car off on Friday to have the gauges put in. The gauges are PLX gauges and supposedly others are having success with them on the e9x platform. Last time we tried using an older version of a PLX gauge in the 550i (designed for use with an iPhone/Android) it wasn't able to retrieve much more than MPH and RPM from the OBDII port. Hoping these newer standalone units are more capable. Keeping fingers crossed.

Trying something a little out of the ordinary again on the 550i. Ended up getting my hands on a Killer Chiller from Kincaid Performance. Basically it's a device that sits inline with the intercooler and is capable of dropping IATs below ambient. It does this by plumbing in to the A/C unit and running coolant past a chiller. Here is a digram of roughly how it will be connected:

Name:  KC_zpsc0c6b4c1.png
Views: 2249
Size:  262.1 KB

Some of the supercharged Mercedes guys are running them with some success so figured it was worth a shot. The trick to making the killer chiller work well is to increase the coolant capacity to provide a buffer when doing longer WOT pulls. This is because the A/C unit doesn't operate at WOT and coolant temps will rise quickly depending on how much coolant is in the system. The more coolant, the more buffer and the longer a cool (or even hot) temperature will hold. Some individuals are even running the Killer Chiller without a heat exchanger in a KillerChiler-->Intercooler-->Reserviour-->KillerChiller configuration to achieve even lower temperatures.

Working on some other stuff too, but don't feel like typing anymore haha.

Last edited by west; 05-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Post some pictures and a review once you get the PLX in. I'm interested in getting one for my car. I hate not having a proper coolant temp gauge.

Quick Reply: 550i Project Journal