E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i ipod, satellite?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening all! I am new to the forum and I have a new to me 2005 545i with Nav and CD changer. Apparently nobody in Northern VA is able to work on my audio system except for the stealership. This is what I want. I want to play my iPod through the system, be able to use the regular steering wheel controls, see the tracks and menus on my screen and charge the iPod at the same time. I don't think that is too much to ask for but apparently it is. Oh and I am praying that I can add on satellite radio too but my current system doesn't have sat enabled I guess. I could care less about the cd changer. I have an appt with BMW tomorrow that is going to run me $345 for the unit and $250 for install JUST to be able to integrate the iPod in. They said no way on the sat.

Anybody know of a better way to do this? I called Dice and they said that they only have FM modulation units. Eff that. I want good sound quality.

Thanks for any help!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

to the forum!

Yes, unfortunately full iPod integration will cost much unlike the partial integration like via FM modulation and/or AUX mini-plug which have no control over the device but may cost less.

As far as install, there are various different route you can go like go w/ the dealer or some people capable of doing enable coding their own car w/ proper hardware+software or some stereo store maybe have similar ability.

If you do an extensive search some able to get away simply by replacing the CD changer w/ the iPod interface (they are mutually exclusive) you can try that way if you capable of doing work on your own car ... you can also search for another popular aftermarket iPod interface module like I'm using called Dension Gateway 500 which in addition to connecting iPod it has USB port (for thumb drive and/or harddrive) and RCA AUX input and allow you to control it via steering wheel buttons & display on the iDrive (heck w/ their add-on module it'll even allow video feed into your iDrive screen) ... but may cost more than the OEM module ... but at least the ability to hookup USB storage is priceless.

So do an extensive search and you shall find out ... GL!