E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i Airbox/Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

On Z06's, many do what's called the Zip Tie mod. They simply take the top of the air box off, install a K&N (or other filter) or leave the stock filter in place, and tie the filter down with Zip Ties. This procedure works pretty much as well, in terms of HP gains, as some after-market intakes. The reason it works is that the opening in the Z06 airbox is somewhat restrictive.

I am wondering if the Zip Tie mod would do any good on the 545i. I am ignorant on what is under the cover of the 545i air box. Is the filter right on top? Could the Zip Tie mod be done on a 545i? Would it be easy? Do you think there is a chance that the 545i air-box opening is restrictive? I also wonder if there is a way to direct cold(er) air towards the box--i.e., are there any easy to access "holes" from outside to inside the hood near the airbox?

If the mod could be done easily, then I might try it. Also, I would install a K&N. But, note that I never re-oil K&N's myself. I just throw or give them away when they get dirty. I want to minimize the chances for excess oil to get beyond the filter and that I would fail to apply sufficient oil.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:25 AM
Hi Friends:

On Z06's, many do what's called the Zip Tie mod. They simply take the top of the air box off, install a K&N (or other filter) or leave the stock filter in place, and tie the filter down with Zip Ties. This procedure works pretty much as well, in terms of HP gains, as some after-market intakes. The reason it works is that the opening in the Z06 airbox is somewhat restrictive.

I am wondering if the Zip Tie mod would do any good on the 545i. I am ignorant on what is under the cover of the 545i air box. Is the filter right on top? Could the Zip Tie mod be done on a 545i? Would it be easy? Do you think there is a chance that the 545i air-box opening is restrictive? I also wonder if there is a way to direct cold(er) air towards the box--i.e., are there any easy to access "holes" from outside to inside the hood near the airbox?

If the mod could be done easily, then I might try it. Also, I would install a K&N. But, note that I never re-oil K&N's myself. I just throw or give them away when they get dirty. I want to minimize the chances for excess oil to get beyond the filter and that I would fail to apply sufficient oil.
[snapback]188465[/snapback]

donv,

Is this what you are talking about (at least partially)? From our DIY page
Old 10-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:16 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:25 AM']Hi Friends:

donv,

[snapback]188514[/snapback]
[/quote]Hi ipse d:

Thanks much. Yes, that is a great deal of what I am talking about. Assuming the lid of the box comes off easily, and I can't tell if it does, then one could replace the stock filter with another (or keep the stock filter) and (maybe) Zip Tie the filter down so that nothing can pass by its edges (or find some other way to secure the edges).

Also, I am unclear from the pictures where the air inlet is. And, I still wonder if the inlet might be restrictive. And, finally, I wonder if there is a way to get cool air under the hood near the box without doing damage to the car. On the Z06s, no special attempts are made to get extra cooler air under the hood and decent HP still is added.

Mainly, I am being a bit lazy as normally I would just go check things out for myself. I have a sore throat, cold, etc. ~{;^c

Edit: Looking more closely, it looks like the lid of the box is attached to the tube on one side of where the socket connects. If so, then there is a problem. One would have to do some thinking/scheming to overcome it. One might over come it by buying a new lid and modifying it--at least that is what I would try. I wouldn't want to go to my dealer with a modified factory air box.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:15 PM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:16 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:25 AM']Hi Friends:

donv,

[/quote]Hi ipse d:

Thanks much. Yes, that is a great deal of what I am talking about. Assuming the lid of the box comes off easily, and I can't tell if it does, then one could replace the stock filter with another (or keep the stock filter) and (maybe) Zip Tie the filter down so that nothing can pass by its edges (or find some other way to secure the edges).

Also, I am unclear from the pictures where the air inlet is. And, I still wonder if the inlet might be restrictive. And, finally, I wonder if there is a way to get cool air under the hood near the box without doing damage to the car. On the Z06s, no special attempts are made to get extra cooler air under the hood and decent HP still is added.

Mainly, I am being a bit lazy as normally I would just go check things out for myself. I have a sore throat, cold, etc. ~{;^c

Edit: Looking more closely, it looks like the lid of the box is attached to the tube on one side of where the socket connects. If so, then there is a problem. One would have to do some thinking/scheming to overcome it. One might over come it by buying a new lid and modifying it--at least that is what I would try. I wouldn't want to go to my dealer with a modified factory air box.
[snapback]188541[/snapback]
[/quote]

donv,

If you are simply looking for a less restrive air box (as opposed to a real CAI), might I suggest you taking a look at the air box for the E39 M5? I've never done it, but from the looks of it the E39 M5 box should fit the E60 with a slight tweak here or there.

Also, if you want more air, you could just create your own modified airbox. I've done it with the E39. Sort of like what you described with with the ZipTie technique on the Vette. I used a 4" flexible aluminum tubing (e.g. from a typical clothes dryer). I slipped over one end from the airbox then routed it next to the driving lights. Then used black zip ties (see, just like a Vette ) to affix the tubing to the tabs (the tabs are built into the bumper). Applied a nice of coat of black paint and looks as good as OEM.

At 55mph and higher, this works like a "ram air" to feed the airbox fresh air. More air, more psi -- in theory at least.

Won't get the mighty peformance growl or incremental (2-5 hp) power increase from a true CAI, but as a handy-dandy DIY mod, it ain't bad.

P.S. Drop in filters are not worth the expense (or trouble) on BMW airboxes.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:42 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:15 PM'][quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:16 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:25 AM']Hi Friends:

donv,

[/quote]Hi ipse d:

[/quote]

donv,

If you are simply looking for a less restrive air box (as opposed to a real CAI), might I suggest you taking a look at the air box for the E39 M5? I've never done it, but from the looks of it the E39 M5 box should fit the E60 with a slight tweak here or there.

Also, if you want more air, you could just create your own modified airbox. I've done it with the E39. Sort of like what you described with with the ZipTie technique on the Vette. I used a 4" flexible aluminum tubing (e.g. from a typical clothes dryer). I slipped over one end from the airbox then routed it next to the driving lights. Then used black zip ties (see, just like a Vette ) to affix the tubing to the tabs (the tabs are built into the bumper). Applied a nice of coat of black paint and looks as good as OEM.

At 55mph and higher, this works like a "ram air" to feed the airbox fresh air. More air, more psi -- in theory at least.

Won't get the mighty peformance growl or incremental (2-5 hp) power increase from a true CAI, but as a handy-dandy DIY mod, it ain't bad.

[snapback]188573[/snapback]
[/quote]Great ideas. But, I was hoping to do a mod that I could swap out at the drop of a hat to go to my dealer. I was thinking of running tubing somehow like you described that could be removed quickly/easily. And, most importantly, given the pictures, I was hoping I could find a way to just swap air box lids when going the the dealer. I was thinking that one could get a new lid and simply cut out some of the top--assuming the lids could be interchanged quickly/easily. If I followed this approach, then there would be no need to tie the filter in.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:42 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:15 PM'][quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:16 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:25 AM']Hi Friends:

donv,

[/quote]Hi ipse d:

[/quote]

donv,

[/quote]

It's always possible to just remove the airbox and use a K&N cone filter or an HKS super power flow (I have one of the latter just lying around). With or without an aluminum extension, it's a simple matter of using some high temp rubber hose and some ring clamps to secure and seal everything together. This generally makes an ungodly amount of noise, and while this was cool when I was in my early 20s, having an engine that's louder than my exhaust isn't exactly what I want on my E60.

I agree with donv, if I do decide to replace the filter inside the airbox with a "performance" filter, I'll treat it as throwaway. Considering what people spend on their cars and mods, $40 isn't even a blip on the radar.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 25 2005, 06:27 PM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:42 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:15 PM'][quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:16 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:25 AM']Hi Friends:

donv,

[/quote]Hi ipse d:

[/quote]

donv,

[/quote]

It's always possible to just remove the airbox and use a K&N cone filter or an HKS super power flow (I have one of the latter just lying around). With or without an aluminum extension, it's a simple matter of using some high temp rubber hose and some ring clamps to secure and seal everything together. This generally makes an ungodly amount of noise, and while this was cool when I was in my early 20s, having an engine that's louder than my exhaust isn't exactly what I want on my E60.

I agree with donv, if I do decide to replace the filter inside the airbox with a "performance" filter, I'll treat it as throwaway. Considering what people spend on their cars and mods, $40 isn't even a blip on the radar.
[snapback]188584[/snapback]
[/quote]Thanks much for your input. What do you think about what's below? I hear my mom calling me for dinner now. ~{;^) I'll get back to you later.

"... I was hoping to do a mod that I could swap out at the drop of a hat to go to my dealer. I was thinking of running tubing somehow like you described that could be removed quickly/easily. And, most importantly, given the pictures, I was hoping I could find a way to just swap air box lids when going the the dealer. I was thinking that one could get a new lid and simply cut out some of the top--assuming the lids could be interchanged quickly/easily. If I followed this approach, then there would be no need to tie the filter in."
Old 10-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 25 2005, 07:27 PM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 05:42 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:15 PM'][quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:16 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Oct 25 2005, 09:25 AM']Hi Friends:

donv,

[/quote]Hi ipse d:

[/quote]

donv,

[/quote]

[snapback]188584[/snapback]
[/quote]

Can a throwaway performance filter add any extra power?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by katheikia' date='Oct 26 2005, 10:12 AM
Can a throwaway performance filter add any extra power?
[snapback]188855[/snapback]
A filter can add very little. If I used one, then it would be because I was trying to scounge every possible HP from where ever it might come from. It is unlikely that you would end up with less HP given use of a performance filter,