E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530xi Lowering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xi

As soon as the snow stops here in T.O., I'll be putting them on - likely early April, so I can do my wheels and alignment shortly after putting the suspension on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have minimal (if any) noise.

I'll be sure to post pictures a full review as soon as they're on.

I'm like a kid in a candy store!

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
Can't wait to see how this works out for you! When do you figure you will have them installed by? If you can get it done with minimal noise this will be on my car once my shocks start to go.

Now, how can I make them blow out fastest?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Members

It really sucks that that nothing else is available, but what can you do :thumbsdown:

I guess all we can do is spend a bunch of cash on V3's, even though I really don't need that much adjustability

They don't make aftermarket shocks for our cars to go with the H&R's. Those are truly your only 2 options springs only or coils.

Like I said before I have the springs and they work great for me 90% of them time (on good roads). On the crappy roads it sucks so I try to avoid them as much as possible.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Members

I'm having them installed by an ex BMW tech that now has his own shop - he's very well known in T.O. as a stand up, dedicated BMW guy. I expect the work to be top notch.

Thanks for the heads up on contacting KW - I'll make sure and do that.

By the way, what are you doing with your car? I've seen a bunch of threads where you are considering a bunch of options - have you decided suspension and wheels yet? I'm still undecided about wheels, but am leaning towards the VMR 701's (saw them on a white 330i ZHP and they looked phenomenal) or the 'safe' 710's.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Nice! Its gonna look and drive excellent, man! I am sure of it. Just be sure you get the coilovers installed at a professional shop and align the car once the suspension sets.

Also, when I contacted KW about the noise, they said to just call them directly about it (which I never did ), so it seems like they'll never abandon their customers and will work with you to eliminate any issues
Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Originally Posted by v_therussian
One of the five boroughs huh? People usually say this when they're from SI or Q

Dude, honestly, there's nothing out there that is public information that works with the H&R springs. That is why I'm getting the coilovers eventually. You know what H&R's do - I know you've been reading up on stuff - you'll be bouncing like some low-budget low-rider... well, ok, maybe not as bad as I'm making it sound, but it will ruin the ride. I was gonna tell you to try looking through OEM replacement struts/shocks, but I'm sure others have tried and failed there. However, if you're truly persistent and succeed at finding an alternative to the coilovers, then you're still stuck with trying it out on your own car, at your own expense... basically, there is no going around it - coilovers are necessary to do the drop right.
It does say I'm from Queens though ha but deeznuts is from Canada that's why I said that since the roads in upstate NY are probably good lol ... I might get coilovers in the future just need to have something now I guess I am going to have to stick with a bumpy ride until then :/ but atleast my car will look better

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Feel free to let me know if you need my help. I was the first E60 XI owner in the US to have the H&R Springs. Happy to offer advice if you need it.
Thanks for the help, how was ride quality with stock suspension? since you drove the car in ny ... will take any tips if vlad left anything out
Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 AM
Members

I'm not C (he has much more experience), and I've never actually had the H&R's on my car, but from some extensive research, I've learned that the H&R springs are not a perfect match for the stock shocks - this means the shocks are overworked and will not last as long as they should.

Secondly, because of this mismatch, the car can feel bouncy on certain types of roads. My guess is that in regular driving, you won't notice this, and you'll be just fine. The cost difference between the H&R's and the KW's is quite significant, so that's something to consider.

As a very general statement, I would say that if handling is quite important to you, you'll be more satisfied with the KW's, but if it's more about look, the H&R's will probably work out fine (at least until the shocks wear out).

Originally Posted by Krazi Bluntz
It does say I'm from Queens though ha but deeznuts is from Canada that's why I said that since the roads in upstate NY are probably good lol ... I might get coilovers in the future just need to have something now I guess I am going to have to stick with a bumpy ride until then :/ but atleast my car will look better

Thanks for the help, how was ride quality with stock suspension? since you drove the car in ny ... will take any tips if vlad left anything out
Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Whats the best price people have seen for the V3's in the XI fitment?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Members

Sent you a PM - Check in with member John Photography...

The problem for us Canadians is brokerage/shipping/duty

Whats the best price people have seen for the V3's in the XI fitment?