E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you tell me

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

I like how you already solidified the subs but don't own the car yet. Your best bet would be to find one that is under 50,000 miles. Add a couple thousand and add a couple years on to your cars life.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Members

i already have my subs from my impala...real nice pioneers with a hifonics 1500 watt amp
i found a 545i near me silver 12000 with 74000 miles like i dont have alot of money to spend im paying for everything myself i have like 14000
Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

Ah too be young again. I say f**k it, get the 545, yeah they have issues but what car doesn't right? Just make u don't drive it like the impala lol
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Members

I own a company that specializes in performance parts for the Impala, Grand Prix, Regal, etc. Basically all the late 90's through mid-2000's front wheel drive 3800 V6 GM cars. It's not even a close comparison. If you're talking about reliability, the Impala blows the Bimmer out of the water, especially if all your budget can afford you is an 04'. Not a great year for the E60. The 545 was the worst of the worst. Avoid them. They might offer a lower cost of entry but you'll more than make up in what you save with repair costs.

As far as driving dynamics go, again no comparison. Only here the BMW wins. The Impala in stock form heavily understeers when pushed, isn't well balanced and is just not fun to drive in anything but a straight line (and even that's questionable). Any E60 is going to drive circles around the Impala. If you had an Impala SS then you're already used to a slightly firmer ride so go with an E60 with the sport package and you'll notice no difference in ride quality from the Impala though the car will handle incredibly.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Mike_K
I own a company that specializes in performance parts for the Impala, Grand Prix, Regal, etc. Basically all the late 90's through mid-2000's front wheel drive 3800 V6 GM cars. It's not even a close comparison. If you're talking about reliability, the Impala blows the Bimmer out of the water, especially if all your budget can afford you is an 04'. Not a great year for the E60. The 545 was the worst of the worst. Avoid them. They might offer a lower cost of entry but you'll more than make up in what you save with repair costs.

As far as driving dynamics go, again no comparison. Only here the BMW wins. The Impala in stock form heavily understeers when pushed, isn't well balanced and is just not fun to drive in anything but a straight line (and even that's questionable). Any E60 is going to drive circles around the Impala. If you had an Impala SS then you're already used to a slightly firmer ride so go with an E60 with the sport package and you'll notice no difference in ride quality from the Impala though the car will handle incredibly.
most of what he said. lol
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

a 245 hp Impala is a "sports car"......what kind of sports? a BMW is the chit, you will most definitely n-joy it over an Impala......repairs are not that bad if you can DIY for example... a complete brake job is $1500 -$2000, that's 4 new rotors pads, sensors . Buy the parts yourself, complete package for $500, and you save

now a 580 hp Truck.....thats a straight line sports car.....
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Members

okay well how reliable are these cars... and wich is the most reliable 5 series to get
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

The only thing I can say is if you tried a BMW you never ever try other cars, they give you some issues with electronics modules and codes but otherwise they worst what they cost!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Members

okay so how much miles is alot for these cars when buyin a used one
Old 07-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by matttrow6969
okay well how reliable are these cars... and wich is the most reliable 5 series to get
As a very general/broad rule, the more power a manufacture's car generates stock, the more complex it becomes (and, subsequently, reliability MAY take a hit). in that same spirit, the more radical the redesign, the more issues 1st year revamped cars can face. In the land of the E60, these cars were radically redesigned over the previous - new power trains, electronics, body control systems, etc. 04 USA saw the launch of the E60 525i, 530i, and 545i. The 545i, being the most complex @ launch, tends to have more issues. That said, the N62 engine had been around a lil while in the 2002 7 series. In essence, there was a 2 year lead time to get the drive train right (didn't happen). It is a fun car, but as a 7 or 8 y/o car (sniff sniff), expect to pay significantly increased amounts toward upkeep over the other E60 offerings out there.