E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

You can feel safe in a 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008 | 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='537107' date='Feb 28 2008, 01:41 AM
what a mess
steering wheel airbag did it deploy?
are they going to sure BMW for that.
Some of this thread was a discussion about the steering wheel airbag not deploying.

Kinda hard to sue BMW since nobody got hurt.
Old 02-28-2008 | 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 08' 535xi, White/Black, Premium, Cold Weather, Navi, Logic 7, iPod USB

let me join the group that thinks the steering wheel airbag should NOT deploy. From the pics it looks like a side impact. And from the video, it's even more obvious that it's side impact from a car going essentially the same direction. So there is no frontal impact force to trigger the front airbag. Airbag should only be deployed when absolutely necessary. My inlaw had a car accident about 1/2 yr ago in which his car was hit at the passenger side. However, the old toyota camry's front airbag deployed. While he had almost no other injury his face was hit real hard by the air bag and had some minor bruise on one of the eyeballs. So unnecessary airbag deploy is NO GOOD. These things are popped by little explosions!
Old 02-28-2008 | 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530d Sport Man

The other reason you don't want it to go off in a side impact, is if you then go on the have a head on impact, it wont be able to protect you. They don't work twice. So if someone hits you in the side, you need the cutain bags there and then, but if you then go off the road into a tree head on, the wheel bag can still protect you. BMW are not daft.
Old 02-28-2008 | 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by ansetou' post='537347
The other reason you don't want it to go off in a side impact, is if you then go on the have a head on impact, it wont be able to protect you. They don't work twice. So if someone hits you in the side, you need the cutain bags there and then, but if you then go off the road into a tree head on, the wheel bag can still protect you. BMW are not daft.

I definatly agree with with the above. In a side impact, the side impact curtains should deploy as designed. However, there is a TREMENDOUS amount of frontal damage. Heck, the driver-side door and wheel look just fine - but the front end is DESTROYED, with focused damage to the FRONT, causing impaction of the driver fender up to the wheel, relocation of the airbox to above the wheel, impaction of the radiator support frame, frontal deformation of the hood (along with latch failure), passenger-side damage up to the wheel, etc. This reeks of a T-bone, which knocked the truck off its bearings, into a skid, and ultimately into the house. Exactly how much frontal damage must be done to meet the threshold for releasing the steering wheel airbag???

Old 02-28-2008 | 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='537456' date='Feb 28 2008, 06:22 PM
I definatly agree with with the above. In a side impact, the side impact curtains should deploy as designed. However, there is a TREMENDOUS amount of frontal damage. Heck, the driver-side door and wheel look just fine - but the front end is DESTROYED, with focused damage to the FRONT, causing impaction of the driver fender up to the wheel, relocation of the airbox to above the wheel, impaction of the radiator support frame, frontal deformation of the hood (along with latch failure), passenger-side damage up to the wheel, etc. This reeks of a T-bone, which knocked the truck off its bearings, into a skid, and ultimately into the house. Exactly how much frontal damage must be done to meet the threshold for releasing the steering wheel airbag???

Its not the amount of damage but the direction of impact. The truck hit the front fender of the BMW from the side, ripping off the front quarter.
I agree the front airbag should not have deployed.
Old 02-28-2008 | 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

now I know and I agree with you guys. if it is a side impact the the front airbag will not go off
Old 02-28-2008 | 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

First I’m glad no one was seriously hurt, and hats off to the firefighters and paramedics! Your roles in society aren't merited enough - Thank you! As for the E60, sad… It looked like a nice ride to.

Also, reading through this thread about the whole airbag deal - amazing. I didn’t realize we had such an exuberant amount of subject matter experts here, and all in this forum. Your willingness to aid with recreating a crash scenario that none had witnessed is just exceptional. You are able to make assessments without interview, limited sight video, and with just a few images. I didn’t realize, but now honored to be surrounded by a vast group of BMW engineers, automotive safety compliance engineers, crash sensor physic engineers, and psychics. Opps, don’t let me forget the miscellaneous SME’s I might have forgot. You people rock! Keep up the good work!

sorry, I couldn't resist. Just know I'm joking... Well except the first part.
Old 02-28-2008 | 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='537501' date='Feb 28 2008, 05:57 PM
First I'm glad no one was seriously hurt, and hats off to the firefighters and paramedics! Your roles in society aren't merited enough - Thank you! As for the E60, sad? It looked like a nice ride to.

Also, reading through this thread about the whole airbag deal - amazing. I didn't realize we had such an exuberant amount of subject matter experts here, and all in this forum. Your willingness to aid with recreating a crash scenario that none had witnessed is just exceptional. You are able to make assessments without interview, limited sight video, and with just a few images. I didn't realize, but now honored to be surrounded by a vast group of BMW engineers, automotive safety compliance engineers, crash sensor physic engineers, and psychics. Opps, don't let me forget the miscellaneous SME's I might have forgot. You people rock! Keep up the good work!

sorry, I couldn't resist. Just know I'm joking... Well except the first part.

You'd be surprised as to the varying roles our affluent (or at least well-to-do) members play in society. That said, it's not exactly rocket science (or, for that matter, advanced physics) to ascertain that a tremendous amount of collision forces were exerted, considering one 2+ ton vehicle is resting comfortably on its side, and the other has significant enough damage to a large portion of its high-strength aluminum parts. The airbag question simply queries wether a particular airbag should have deployed based on the amount of damaged seen, or is the sensor logic infallible (or at least correct). The occupant was unharmed - a testimate to the safety systems effectiveness as designed. However, would firing of the front airbag offer additional, fail-safe protection in such an accident? Many believe not, and have offered convincing arguments, regardless of their job classification. I'm still unsure, but am more open to the idea that the car may have been right in this instance.
Old 02-28-2008 | 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

The steering wheel airbag did not deploy.
Old 02-28-2008 | 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='537508' date='Feb 28 2008, 08:29 PM
I'm still unsure, but am more open to the idea that the car may have been right in this instance.
I agree, and yet I'm no expert in this matter. People walked away is proof enough for me, so I'd like to think the car did what it was designed to do. Some aren't as fortunate.

Best,
Jay

Quick Reply: You can feel safe in a 5 series