E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

xCarlink Installed - Someone Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535D
Default xCarlink Installed - Someone Please Help

Finally installed the xCar Link Media Player - not connected a TV tuner or DVD to this just yet.

E60

Issues:
  1. CD changer not working any more..all the cd1 - c56 are greyed out.
  2. My Blue Tooth is not working - says no phone installed - i get a SOS error on screen
  3. I plugged a camcorder into AV1 - the picture does come up on the screen however it keeps flicking aspects every 2 seconds...4:3 to stretched on the wide screen?

Anyone know what the issue may be?

Sam
Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Did you remove the fiber optic cable from the main connector and plug it in the back of the new connector?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

If you have a CD changer, do you have to remove it completely? I actually like having it and don't want to lose it for one of these A/V interfaces. If I just had A/V capability, that's enough for me.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:49 AM
New Members

found this late last night: https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...k-help-121348/

I will open up the car to check and make sure the fibre optics are connected to the new harness..maybe been missed as the instructions were not clear on this..it was mentioned but i missed it maybe..

Main use for for TV but i will bet a DVD installed to - hoping the quality is good and TV is watchable..

still have to figure out how to connect it to the AUX - as i am getting loads of hissing if tuning in to 87.9 for the audio! I do have Aux port but its at the back of the car
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you don't remember doing it, you probably didn't. I know it was not clear in the instruction and was only mentioned I believe in step 7 after it tells you to connect the harness. This is a very common mistake by us who have installed it.

At the end of page 7-
"Please note:"
Ensure that any fibre optic connections are also transferred from the original BMW harness to the plug & play harness.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
If you don't remember doing it, you probably didn't. I know it was not clear in the instruction and was only mentioned I believe in step 7 after it tells you to connect the harness. This is a very common mistake by us who have installed it.

At the end of page 7-
"Please note:"
Ensure that any fibre optic connections are also transferred from the original BMW harness to the plug & play harness.
thats the line...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:58 AM
New Members

Also if anyone here has installed it..how did you run the wires into the glove box? i think this part took me the longest and in the end i removed the dashboard light and pulled the wires through the hole..

would like the light to go back in..any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

I ran mine the following:
1. stored unit in on the right side of the idrive screen
2. ran wires down through the small openings going to the glovebox entering the GB from the top and the rca wire for video same direction but then dropped it down along the panels for the console and using a plastic trim tool I just pushed them under the edges to hid them.
3. I loosened the console mounts and lifted the rear then drilled a small hole inside the console opening at the rear bottom storage area and then pushed the rca wire up through so it sits inside the CC box and out of the way.
4. If you have the camera, I used remote power tap from the back up lights. In this case you need a simple power relay to mount in trunk near the battery. You will get the power from the battery but use the back up lite for the signal. Otherwise, the camera view will be unstable. Removed lower rear seat and partially removed the affected side of the rear back seat them route the wired under the trim and through an opening in the seat back support frame wall or what ever you call that thing. You can unlock your rear seat back by emptying your trunk, get on your back with a lite and slide in against the rear wall. Look up and you will see two circular locks on either side with a tab in it. You need a flat screw driver to put inside and turn and you will hear a click. You might have to push a little with your head on the back wall.
5. I use an Ipod, so needed the ipod video adaptor. To supply continuos power I grabbed one of these micro power usb power plug adaptors from ebay. I plugged it into the power receptical under the GB and the power wire from the ipod simply goes out of the GB in the rear and wraps under then plugs in,
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 AM
New Members

thanks for the info Tony, i will revisit this once i get the interface working..

CDchanger & Bluetooth phone are now working.

I am still getting an issue with the aspect ratio changing in the vide every 3 seconds..

it goes from 4:3 (letterbox) to fully stretched (i have the wide screen in my car) - had an email back from xcarlink - they said the device needs to be NTSC? i live in the UK and we are PAL here..could this be the issue?

Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 AM
New Members

Quick Reply: xCarlink Installed - Someone Please Help