E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Would You Do Black Again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired: 2007 530i Silver Gray/Gray Leather, premium/sport/logic 7/hd radio/comfort access/park distance control 2010 535i M Sport Alpine White/Black premium/M-Sport,L7,Sat,HD Radio/Paddle Shifters/heated seats/comfort access/navigation/sport gear stick

So my 5 will need to be replaced this year and starting the thought process of my new one. Those of you that have black, would you do it again? I have the ability to have my car washed unlimited times a week, but still concerned about how bad black shows dings and scratches. We just added a white 09 X5 and it has the saddle nevada interior, which looks fantastic. I really want this interior on my new 5 so that leaves black or white. If you do have black which black is it?

All the best.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

I have an 07 550i with a sapphire black metallic exterior and a black dakota leather interior. Best color combination offered as far as I am concerned.

Of course, the village idiot who detailed the car before I bought it put swirl marks in the paint, which I must now buff out with menzerna products and my porter cable random orbital buffer.

But nothing looks nicer than black on black. I have a black on black Lexus and a black on black Porsche. Can you guess which color combo I like most?

... and I wash my cars by hand all the time it seems. It's good therapy.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Contributors

All my cars have been black, and I've always said that my next car is going to be silver. Never seems to happen.

My last car was a black on black 2006 Lexus GS300 (lemon that Lexus bought back after some arm twisting), and the paint was awful. After one NH winter I had a whole bunch of scratches and dings. I've actually been pretty impressed with how the BMW paint has been holding up - it went through the first winter with hardly a blemish. I'm getting it washed tomorrow (it's filthy right now) and I'm looking forward to seeing how the paint is doing.

I'm still on the fence.... the next one may be silver, but there's just something I love about black on black. I have the bamboo trim and black headliner too... it's like the bat cave in there. I love it.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by britus05' post='789007' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:09 PM
So my 5 will need to be replaced this year and starting the thought process of my new one. Those of you that have black, would you do it again? I have the ability to have my car washed unlimited times a week, but still concerned about how bad black shows dings and scratches. We just added a white 09 X5 and it has the saddle nevada interior, which looks fantastic. I really want this interior on my new 5 so that leaves black or white. If you do have black which black is it?

All the best.
My E39 and my 2007 E60 were both Jet Black. My M5 is Silverstone and I love that I don't have to wash it as often. However, I just bought a 2009 X5 and went back to Jet Black. I'm so glad I did. It looks so bad ass, especially with everything that I've done to it so far. The car is being completely murdered out and looks great.

Although Jet Black is the hardest to keep clean, it will always look the best, when it is clean. Nothing beats it. Period!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='789028' date='Feb 9 2009, 09:35 PM
My E39 and my 2007 E60 were both Jet Black. My M5 is Silverstone and I love that I don't have to wash it as often. However, I just bought a 2009 X5 and went back to Jet Black. I'm so glad I did. It looks so bad ass, especially with everything that I've done to it so far. The car is being completely murdered out and looks great.

Although Jet Black is the hardest to keep clean, it will always look the best, when it is clean. Nothing beats it. Period!

Black looks best when clean for sure...And I'll never own it again
Old 02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Contributors

My first bimmer in '87 was jet black on black and every one since then has been the same. Now, with the option to have "black" wood as well, I've opted for black on black on black. I do wash the cars once a week typically, sometimes 2 or 3...just to keep that jet black sheen! Currently, I have the entire front quarter of my car clear-bra'ed, making it easier to keep clean...but I wash it myself. I made the mistake ONCE of having a hand wash done...and the clear bra was slightly scratched. But no regrets, I think I'll stay with blackonblackonblack!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 335i, Jet Black / Terra Dakota, 15k miles

My first car (1995 e34 525i) was black and it definitely is a great look if you are willing to put the time and effort into it. If you are comfortable with detailing yourself with good products, then black is great. But if you are going through car washes with crap products then your car will be swirled up in a few weeks.

As Im at school for most of the year with only enough time to give weekly quick washes, I decided to get my e60 in silver. Its amazing how good it looks after just a 30 min wash. Plus it shows very little dirt with normal travel.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Yes I would.
But it does takes a lot more work to keep it clean; and scratches and swirl marks are more visible on black.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I've driven exclusively black cars for around 25 years now and would never consider any other color! Upkeep is DEFINITELY more difficult, but for the 5 minutes that a black car is actually, COMPLETELY clean after a wash, there is NOTHING else that can touch it!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Contributors

jet black is the best but my next bmw will be white with auburn interior

Quick Reply: Would You Do Black Again?