E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wing Mirrors - 2 things...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Jan 17 2005, 07:51 AM
I find the dipping function can be a real pain in the a** as it leaves you completely blind down the passenger side of the car. As others have said it's ok for judging the kerb but it goes so low that you've most likely hit the kerb with your rear wheel as the mirror only shows you the ground between the two doors.

I'm not sure who programmed this much mirror travel in BMW's technical department but they ought to rethink it? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]80015[/snapback]
After years of using it, I don't have too much of a problem with the dipping mirror. One thing BMW could do to improve it would be to take a lesson from M-B. On M-B cars (at least on the S-Class), you can precisely adjust where the mirror moves to when reversing. Once you get it to where you want it, you store it in memory...
Old 01-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 17 2005, 01:38 PM
[quote name='ISUK' date='Jan 17 2005, 07:51 AM']I find the dipping function can be a real pain in the a** as it leaves you completely blind down the passenger side of the car. As others have said it's ok for judging the kerb but it goes so low that you've most likely hit the kerb with your rear wheel as the mirror only shows you the ground between the two doors.

I'm not sure who programmed this much mirror travel in BMW's technical department but they ought to rethink it? :thumbsdown:
After years of using it, I don't have too much of a problem with the dipping mirror. One thing BMW could do to improve it would be to take a lesson from M-B. On M-B cars (at least on the S-Class), you can precisely adjust where the mirror moves to when reversing. Once you get it to where you want it, you store it in memory...
[snapback]80023[/snapback]
[/quote]
In the next version of iDrive...
Old 01-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Zaphod' date='Jan 17 2005, 10:31 AM
How do you fold the mirrors?
[snapback]79979[/snapback]
You can't in the US.

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Jan 17 2005, 01:51 PM
I find the dipping function can be a real pain in the a** as it leaves you completely blind down the passenger side of the car. As others have said it's ok for judging the kerb but it goes so low that you've most likely hit the kerb with your rear wheel as the mirror only shows you the ground between the two doors.

Maybe your mirror isn't adjusted correctly. I don't have any problem with it.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

The mirror adjustment is fine for driving. The dip function when reversing cannot be adjusted (unless someone can tell me otherwise) and it goes too low to be useful.

Incidentally the motors in my mirrors switch off as soon as the mirrors have folded so I don't have the noise others have complained about.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Jan 19 2005, 12:54 AM
The mirror adjustment is fine for driving. The dip function when reversing cannot be adjusted (unless someone can tell me otherwise) and it goes too low to be useful.
[snapback]80556[/snapback]
I have mine adjusted so that I can barely see my car in there. When it tilts down, it goes all the way, but I see enough.
If you have it set that you see more of your car and less of the street, you see less when it tilts down.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I get a little bit of noise when they completely folded.

And I adjust the mirror such that I see a little part of the car body. When they dip in reverse, I could see clearly the kerb etc. The only problem is I am so used to using that mirror to judge my parking that I can't get used to it showing me the road surface instead. So I am not using it unless I really need to; for example parallel parking or parking next to curb.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

If it bothers you & is too low to be useful, why don't you just flip your switch to the other side so it doesn't dip at all?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Jan 19 2005, 04:16 AM
If it bothers you & is too low to be useful, why don't you just flip your switch to the other side so it doesn't dip at all?
I'm aware of that function and do use it... It's as shame that the amount of dip isn't adjustable