E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why the E60 550i is a dud....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by TexaZ3
Dude, its a family sedan for crying out loud, not a sports car.
Get yourself a Ferrari and be happy.

+1 Or a Z4M?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550i, 6 Speed Manual w/Sport Pkg, Black RPI Exhaust, Turner 15mm Rear Spacers, 20% Tint

Originally Posted by TexaZ3
Dude, its a family sedan for crying out loud, not a sports car.
Get yourself a Ferrari and be happy.
Statement: The 550i Sport Pkg is a Sports Sedan.

Yes/No?

It's my opinion that BMW missed some vital & available engineering opportunities.

"Fun Factor" gets a C (when this teacher fully expected a B+).

Oh the shame.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i, 6 Speed Manual w/Sport Pkg, Black RPI Exhaust, Turner 15mm Rear Spacers, 20% Tint

Originally Posted by pjinca
+1 Or a Z4M?
Read the string - got kids.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Car is a piece of shit. Sell it and get a Benz.
I'm 41 not 61.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Members

I have read this thread with a permanent smile on my face.....

It has been so entertaining listening to you all across the pond that don't seem to want anything under a 4 litre engine, to consume as much petrol and oil and pollute our lovely planet as much as you can.

I drive a 530i M Sport, which is more than enough in the 5er. I must admit, I looked at, and drove a very well spec'd 550i M Sport, but having driven both, I can safely say, the poor fuel consumption, tax and sluggishness didn't warrant it.

You see, the difference on paper between the 550i and 530i is negligable, so much so that a good friend who does own a 550i M Sport raced me on a 1/4 mile, and guess who won - ME!!

The size and weight of the engine affect handling and performance, without even going near the 12mpg on the trip computer when we drove the 550i!

The 550i is a heavy and slow beast that should have been culled off a long time ago.

So the moral to my story, stop being so obesessed with the size of your engine, as you may be surprised what a smaller, more nimbler engine could do for you.

I'm just disappointed that my first post is a negative one - but I think something that needed to be said.

P
Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Mr BM

It has been so entertaining listening to you all across the pond that don't seem to want anything under a 4 litre engine, to consume as much petrol and oil and pollute our lovely planet as much as you can.

I drive a 530i M Sport, which is more than enough in the 5er. I must admit, I looked at, and drove a very well spec'd 550i M Sport, but having driven both, I can safely say, the poor fuel consumption, tax and sluggishness didn't warrant it.

You see, the difference on paper between the 550i and 530i is negligable, so much so that a good friend who does own a 550i M Sport raced me on a 1/4 mile, and guess who won - ME!!

The size and weight of the engine affect handling and performance, without even going near the 12mpg on the trip computer when we drove the 550i!

The 550i is a heavy and slow beast that should have been culled off a long time ago.

So the moral to my story, stop being so obesessed with the size of your engine, as you may be surprised what a smaller, more nimbler engine could do for you.

I'm just disappointed that my first post is a negative one - but I think something that needed to be said.

P

First welcome to the forum and the family. Second, I agree with you that the 530 is just fine, I love mine. I appreciate the fact that I fill up every 10 days or so instead of every few days to a week. I would still love the power of the 550, but I am content with my 530 until I can get an M5.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Contributors

I guess sometimes we all need to rant.. but if it bother's you so much.. sell the car and move on. Life is too short to need to complain on the internet about your car.

Sometimes you can't have it all. That's life. You want a "sport car" yet something you can fit your kids as well. Will you also be driving it like a "sports car" when you have your kids in it? I hope not and I'm sure you won't, but that's the point, it's either one or the other so sell the E60, get yourself a real sports car/track car and also the family car, and enjoy the drive. There is no one perfect car company or car, so it's a matter of compromising as little as possible to fulfill as many requirements that you have. Can you name one car within the "sports sedan" sector that fits the bill? If so, you already know what to get next.

GL and can't wait to see what's next.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Members

So buy my Z and be happy. It gives a whole new meaning to the term "ZOMG". I'm almost in tears I have to sell it for a 550 (kid OTW).

You can fit a kid in the passenger seat as long as it isn't a baby. :-)
Attached Thumbnails Why the E60 550i is a dud....-img_0419.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by Mr BM

I'm just disappointed that my first post is a negative one - but I think something that needed to be said

P
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Wow lots of misinformation here. Fact: no 530i will beat a 550i/545i in a quartermile. The gas mileage is negligable to me, in my v8 I get combined 22mpg with about 50-60% city driving. I'll be willing to bet a 530i may get 2-3mpg in the same situation. The v8 torque/fun factor definately outweigh this. I'm not bashing the 530i, but those of declaring it's on par with it's v8 brother are sadly mistaken.

Quick Reply: Why the E60 550i is a dud....