E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why do BMWs handle better than cars from Mercedes-Benz and Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by swajames' post='892544' date='May 27 2009, 11:39 PM
I had the original G35 coupe, it was the car I traded in to get my 545. I still have fond memories of her!
You only responded because he spoke fondly of Porsche.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames' post='892544' date='May 28 2009, 12:39 AM
I had the original G35 coupe, it was the car I traded in to get my 545. I still have fond memories of her!
Yes the original G35 helped to save the Infiniti brand. When my wife and I drove down the PCH from Carmel to Cambria, California, two summers ago we rented a G35. It handled great (very responsive although not as refined as a BMW suspension) in the twisties and I was pushing it. We drove that car really far as after we were done with Cambria, we drove back up to San Francisco and then drove around Napa and Sonoma for a few days. We also bombed up and down the Oakville Grade to get from Napa to Sonoma. What an awesome twisty road that is. So much great driving.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Members

Actually the parts collaboration between BMW and M-B largely fell apart a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='890692' date='May 26 2009, 12:06 PM
It's all about branding, but also about competition.

All three are the best auto brands there are, and the
Japanese try to copy cat them.

Rolls-Royce is a BMW-brand, Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini a VW/Audi-brand
and Maybach a M-B-brand.

It has to do with the German engineering quality and the interest
to race cars from the '30's.

Audi went for the Quattro (rally) and front wheel drive, M-B for
the comfort and luxury but BMW went for the luxury sport.
BMW did race a lot on the track while M-B didn't, do to a catastrophic
accident on a F1 race track in the 50's.

But now the competition is hard, and all make great cars, the
tech has gone so much forward compared to the '90's.

BMW and M-B will soon have the same small parts, as sensors etc.
and Audi is soon (as a part of the VW/Seat/Skoda etc. company) a part of Porsche.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='892553' date='May 28 2009, 12:44 AM
Yes the original G35 helped to save the Infiniti brand. When my wife and I drove down the PCH from Carmel to Cambria, California, two summers ago we rented a G35. It handled great (very responsive although not as refined as a BMW suspension) in the twisties and I was pushing it. We drove that car really far as after we were done with Cambria, we drove back up to San Francisco and then drove around Napa and Sonoma for a few days. We also bombed up and down the Oakville Grade to get from Napa to Sonoma. What an awesome twisty road that is. So much great driving.
Does anybody have the link to the NY/NJ/PA/CT meet?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='892084' date='May 27 2009, 06:03 PM
I am sorry but it seems that you didn't read my reply with much attention. I never said bmw is about numbers. I clearly indicated winner is not about the numbers.
And also I said bmw is about a class that other makers are missing. I guess you liked "heritage" word better.
And I am not trying to give you a hard time but it seems that you are a bmw enthusiast, I am a car enthusiast. I appreciate all other makers.
Prasing other cars don't neccessarily make me a non enthusiast.
If I were not an enthusiast, I wouldn't buy a smg tranny, summer tires, dinan mods, kw v2 sitting in my garage waiting for installation etc and watch
F1 Friday's practice, Sat qulifying and Sunday's race.

It seems like you are just poped out from the C&D magazine. So much biased toward bmw. Whole package? What whole packge is packed under a
$37,000 stripped 328i? ONLY thing 328i is better than g37 is fuel economy. I am sorry but there's no whole package in $37k 328i to me.
335i has a package that other makers don't have and I'll take 335i over g37 but not with 328i.
To me, buying a 37k 328i is people just want to buy a bmw.
I guess you would trade anything for a bmw "feel" but I am not. You gotta ADMIT that 328i is inferior to other competitors. People have
preferential to a certain brand and I am not arguing that, it's just make me sick that just because of bmw heritage is in 328i, it makes
automatic winner. With your logic, why there's a such review comparing each model(and i would love to ask to C&D) if they are gonna
throw away the comparison results and pick the winner by bmw heritage? Aren't they include subjective rating already in the comparison like
apprearance, how they feel, etc? They should've picked G37 as a winner but say somthing like they prefer the feel of bmw and how 328i connects driver and the road.
Then, we can agree and understand that G37 is a better machine but a 328i has a better feel of the road which is true.

All I am saying is that when you compare something, you can't throw out the comparison results to give what you prefer a winner.
In this case, the bmw heritage and feel of the road can't crawl back all the deficits 328i has over G37 and other models.
And that's my answer to OP. BMW don't neccessarily outhandle every competitor.
I hope you understand my point.
I think that both of us are not really understanding what the other is trying to say. While I can appreciate that in terms of sheer numbers the G37 is the clear winner, I'm still saying that the BMW wins on the intangibles.

Had this contest been decided by robots, the winner would have been the G37 in terms of real, tangible numbers. Since humans ultimately drive these cars, they injected their personal feelings on how the car felt overall. They admitted that the G37 beat the 328 in every category, in terms of numbers, and therefore they did not lie. I have actually driven a G37, and while I agree that it is a nice drive, I didn't feel the BMW umph and sure-footdness that I get with either my E46 or E60 or even the occasional E90 loaner I get to drive.

I disagree that car magazines are heavily biased toward BMW for reasons other than the feel and handling of the car.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

sdg1871 your sig. font is pretty small.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='893118' date='May 28 2009, 11:04 AM
I think that both of us are not really understanding what the other is trying to say. While I can appreciate that in terms of sheer numbers the G37 is the clear winner, I'm still saying that the BMW wins on the intangibles.

Had this contest been decided by robots, the winner would have been the G37 in terms of real, tangible numbers. Since humans ultimately drive these cars, they injected their personal feelings on how the car felt overall. They admitted that the G37 beat the 328 in every category, in terms of numbers, and therefore they did not lie. I have actually driven a G37, and while I agree that it is a nice drive, I didn't feel the BMW umph and sure-footdness that I get with either my E46 or E60 or even the occasional E90 loaner I get to drive.

I disagree that car magazines are heavily biased toward BMW for reasons other than the feel and handling of the car.
let's say we agree to disagree
as we can't go on forever who's right.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='893554' date='May 28 2009, 09:58 PM
let's say we agree to disagree
as we can't go on forever who's right.
i wont let this thread die on my watch.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='893798' date='May 29 2009, 03:24 AM
i wont let this thread die on my watch.
like we really need to prove that BMW's better than M-B and Audi, dude...

Quick Reply: Why do BMWs handle better than cars from Mercedes-Benz and Audi?