E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' 530I

Originally Posted by swajames
It may have escaped you, but that driver's seat you say you prefer to sit in is still located in the passenger cabin...

As for where that extra 6 cubic feet was distributed, that's easy to determine by looking at the technical data on bmwusa.com
Cubic space is a measurement.... The difference of 6 cubic feet form E60 to E90 is a matter of interior design. Data is measurement but when you sit in a E60 you can feel the difference in the interior design of the car.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Contributors

1 & 3 series - good starter cars. Although, I have to say the series is a blast to drive! The first time I went to the BMW Performance Driving School, we spent a lot of the day in the 135's and had a great time.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

It may have escaped you, but that driver's seat you say you prefer to sit in is still located in the passenger cabin...

As for where that extra 6 cubic feet was distributed, that's easy to determine by looking at the technical data on bmwusa.com
guess then it's like comparing a 50" rear-projection TV to a 52" LED LCD.

no offense to shorter people, and i don't know how much size 6 cubic feet is, but to my human body there was a clear difference in size between the two. i mean i can fit in a 12.5 shoe but my foot really prefers the feel of the 13 after a few hours.

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I am only 5'8" (put your short jokes aside!) so its not that I need the room. To me the 5 Series is more about comfort and luxury. It screams a certain status that I just didnt feel in a 3 Series. The speed is a given but as stated above its just an added bonus. I have never felt the command, comfort and power my 545i has in any other vehicle.

On the flip side, I was very close to snatching up a 745i(long) for an additional $2k... the car was amazing. Same engine as the 545i and way more than enough room and luxury... if it were just about the room or cargo capacity I would have gotten that car. It drove much bigger that the 5 Series. Beautiful car but I didnt think it fit my driving style... also made me feel 10 yrs older than I am and at 39 I dont need to feel older in my car!!! Hindsight usually sucks but in this case I think I made the right decision.

My 545i is THE Ultimate Driving Experience!
good thing you did not get the 745i car as those were some of the worst bmw's ever made. problems galore.

another thing for me was the scary future thought of having the HPFP fail after the CPO warranty was out. that is just a heartbreaking thought to consider when buying a car. anyone know about how much a replacement on one of those runs you at a bimmer dealership?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Really? I had no idea the 745li was trouble prone - beautiful car, but like I said just really big! Maybe a few years from now.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: The UDM

Originally Posted by omaralt
damn everybody here is a giant...
Lol! we should have a height poll here I'm 6"4.

And yes, besides the extra room in 5er, its just a different class car, status ftw .
Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Members

For what its worth my dad has a high mileage '05 745, has had zero problems with other than having his oil pan cracked by a non BMW oil change experience. The issues i hear about are usually from 12v insiders who deem their electrical system as finnicky to work on.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Just posted a similar comment to this on the poll about height.

I'm a bulky (stocky) 6'. When I bought my 530 I was also looking at the then-new 330. My wifes comment was that it "looks small on you". With that blessing, I moved up to a 5 series. It's much more comfortable and better riding than the 3 for my type of regular driving.

These days, I've noticed that the 330's are getting bigger. I noticed it with the loaners I sometimes get and with the cars they use in the advanced driving class.

Also, to someone elses point, it seems everyone in Toronto has a 3 series. I wanted something a little different and distinctive. The 5 series is it.

To another persons point, at the time I bought the 530, I had a shot at a 745 for not much more. But bad quality reviews and the fact that it felt like my father-in-laws caddy turned me off that idea.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

I literally DUMPED my 335! I can actually say that was the worst car i have owned. Fuel injectors, HPFP and a replaced transmission was enough for me. I just lost all confidence in that vehicle, in fact i wouldn't drive it outside the metroplex. I was determined to be done with BMW and was so close to getting a cts-v. I got the 550, so far so good. I like the styling and driving experience.

Everyone has preferences, best of luck for your friend. I really hope he hit a good one!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Where you from? Shelton here... grew up in Norwalk.
OMG! I'm right next door in Monroe! What year is your 545i? My '07 530xi is black also. We'll have to get together to compare...
Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nonford
I literally DUMPED my 335! I can actually say that was the worst car i have owned. Fuel injectors, HPFP and a replaced transmission was enough for me. I just lost all confidence in that vehicle, in fact i wouldn't drive it outside the metroplex. I was determined to be done with BMW and was so close to getting a cts-v. I got the 550, so far so good. I like the styling and driving experience.

Everyone has preferences, best of luck for your friend. I really hope he hit a good one!
how much did the replacement cost on the HPFP and injectors (separately)? i know it was probably under warranty, but maybe they told you $$ anyway.

Quick Reply: why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?