E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Some of you guys may be surprised to know that the total interior volume of the E60 passenger cabin at 99 cubic feet is just 6 cubic feet more than that of the E90. While the E60 is bigger, it's not as vast a difference as some seem to think.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
a friend of mine just got a 335i and he is convinced his car is better than mine. i'm really not the douchebag type to brag to others or even argue when other people are convinced their dick is bigger than mine. BUT, i figured it did pose an interesting question, on why people chose the 5 series over the 3 series or even the 1 series. for speed, the 3 and 1 series offer cheaper solutions, that's for sure. a 335i or a 135i i could have picked up for cheaper than my E60 and it would have been quicker. but personally, i chose the 5 because i'm 6'6" tall and the 3 series was just way too cramped for me. i just feel like overall the 5 series is more luxurious, and the 3 series is like what rich daddy buys his spoiled 18-year old daughter to take to college. what about you guys?
P.S. - If his 335i is a coupe, I might have to agree with him, hehe. It has the POTENTIAL to be a really sexy car!

As mentioned above in relation to the MB benz C300 commercial, the 'message' struck a cord with me as well and I felt very happy happy with my recent purchase. As the satisfaction of being a 5 series owner is due as a result of the sum of its parts.
I also found it funny that the Mercedes Benz commercial did nothing for me to think about Mercedes Benz, but rather to solidify my opinions and how I felt about my BMW! LOL
Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
Some of you guys may be surprised to know that the total interior volume of the E60 passenger cabin at 99 cubic feet is just 6 cubic feet more than that of the E90. While the E60 is bigger, it's not as vast a difference as some seem to think.
2 things:

number 1, i don't sit in the passenger seat. i kind of prefer driving my car.

number 2, if that 6 cubic feet applies to the headroom, to someone that is 6'6", that DOES make a vast difference, it just may not make that much of a difference to shorter (<6'4") people.

my head was nearly touching the roof of the 335i when i test drove it. doesn't come close in the 5.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Members

^^ I have a 3 series loaner right now and they must make the most of the 6 feet cause the 5 series feels much larger.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad Debt
^^ I have a 3 series loaner right now and they must make the most of the 6 feet cause the 5 series feels much larger.

hahaha...i just got a Mini Cooper for my loaner and ohh my god i feel like im in a freakin sardine can! and I'm 6'7" 260lbs!

I think my service guy gave it to me a as a joke...bastards

ohh yeah and i chose e60 for it's V8 and obviously size....nice roomie back seat tooo
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I am only 5'8" (put your short jokes aside!) so its not that I need the room. To me the 5 Series is more about comfort and luxury. It screams a certain status that I just didnt feel in a 3 Series. The speed is a given but as stated above its just an added bonus. I have never felt the command, comfort and power my 545i has in any other vehicle.

On the flip side, I was very close to snatching up a 745i(long) for an additional $2k... the car was amazing. Same engine as the 545i and way more than enough room and luxury... if it were just about the room or cargo capacity I would have gotten that car. It drove much bigger that the 5 Series. Beautiful car but I didnt think it fit my driving style... also made me feel 10 yrs older than I am and at 39 I dont need to feel older in my car!!! Hindsight usually sucks but in this case I think I made the right decision.

My 545i is THE Ultimate Driving Experience!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tuffluck
2 things:

number 1, i don't sit in the passenger seat. i kind of prefer driving my car.

number 2, if that 6 cubic feet applies to the headroom, to someone that is 6'6", that DOES make a vast difference, it just may not make that much of a difference to shorter (<6'4") people.

my head was nearly touching the roof of the 335i when i test drove it. doesn't come close in the 5.

It may have escaped you, but that driver's seat you say you prefer to sit in is still located in the passenger cabin...

As for where that extra 6 cubic feet was distributed, that's easy to determine by looking at the technical data on bmwusa.com
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I am only 5'8" (put your short jokes aside!) so its not that I need the room. To me the 5 Series is more about comfort and luxury. It screams a certain status that I just didnt feel in a 3 Series. The speed is a given but as stated above its just an added bonus. I have never felt the command, comfort and power my 545i has in any other vehicle.

On the flip side, I was very close to snatching up a 745i for an additional $2k... the car was amazing. Same engine as the 545i and way more than enough room and luxury... if it were just about the room or cargo capacity I would have gotten that car. It drove much bigger that the 5 Series. Beautiful car but I didnt think it fit my driving style... also made me feel 10 yrs older than I am and at 39 I dont need to feel older in my car!!! Hindsight usually sucks but in this case I think I made the right decision.

My 545i is THE Ultimate Driving Experience!
Funny, I am also 5'8", also feel the 5 Series is a step up from the 3, once drove a 7 Series "Long" as a loaner and felt like I was driving my father's Cadillac and incidentally, also am from Connecticut! So we must think alike! I just lost my '97 528i to a tree falling on it, but will be picking up an '07 530xi this week. CAN'T WAIT !!!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Members

damn everybody here is a giant...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by jayarras
Funny, I am also 5'8", also feel the 5 Series is a step up from the 3, once drove a 7 Series "Long" as a loaner and felt like I was driving my father's Cadillac and incidentally, also am from Connecticut! So we must think alike! I just lost my '97 528i to a tree falling on it, but will be picking up an '07 530xi this week. CAN'T WAIT !!!
Where you from? Shelton here... grew up in Norwalk.

Quick Reply: why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?