E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why are BMW drivers hated?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I find I'm pretty despised when I blow by a moron talking on their cell phone, barely making the speed limit and usually weaving like they are wasted. I guess it scares them when the Dinan exhaust is roaring and I blow by because I'd like to get where I'm going before the end of century.

I used to really piss people off in the M3, that thing sounded nasty at 5k RPM and above. But again its always in response to someone who in my opinion is not paying attention to what they are doing, piloting a 3,000-4,000 piece of motorized steel, plastic, no seat belt, etc.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='800437' date='Feb 24 2009, 02:43 PM
Here is just a tidbit: http://www.epinions.com/content_960077956

So, why do people hate BMW drivers? Are we truly super-pricks or what?! Christ.

I have to admit, however, I laughed my ass off reading the above paragraph...
I'm going to take a stab at it: Speed is categorically demonized by the U.S. government. So most drivers fear or have contempt toward excessive speed (anything faster than they choose to go). In the case of sports cars, speeding is more accepted because most driver's probably think: that's presumably why that driver bought an 'impractical' little mid life crisis car, to speed and show off... The more expensive the sports car, the more tolerant people seem to be of speed. It seems like nobody blocks a lamborghini in the left lane. So why do BMW drivers get a bad rap then... Because non-bmw drivers don't understand that we're driving cars that take to speed like a pure sports car does. Maybe even more so. Going 130 in a 7 series is less of an event than in a 911. So we're perceived as driving seemingly luxury oriented practical sedans at speeds that are only acceptable for sports cars. This would be abusive (if it were true) Also, BMWs handle speed more easily than Audis, Mercs and other sedans (IMHO) mostly due to stiffer springs and dampers. So, we're always in a position where we'd like other cars to move out of the way. And in this country that causes problems.

My wife (drives a 335xi) passed a guy in an Audi S8 a few weeks ago on a secondary road. They ended up at the same location and he left a message on her window that said "Stupid driving. Typical bimmer attitude, Drive smarter". I framed it and put it on the wall in the garage! LOL!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='805628' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:50 PM
I drive my Smart car more aggressively than my 550 at times. People just laugh at me. I wonder what the reaction of those same people would be if I made the identical move on them in my 550. I guess it would be hate and disgust based on this thread.
we laugh cause that car is pimped out and so damm cute at the same time..
Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)
Exclamation

I say, screw everyone else - I'm in a Bimmer, I'm higher in the "food chain", boooooy! Move over or get run over by the Bomber! Them studdering imbecils, who think they can drive getn' mad at us??? PAAAA-LEEEEEASE!!!! They aren't mad, they are just jealous. Simply jealous. And you know what, originally, I got the Bimmer bc of the engineering, the design, the things that I appreciated about it, but now that I see that it happens to be an object of envy - why the **** should it be any other way?! And this perpetual roundabout of BMW drivers being perceived as as*h**es and actually acting as such on the account of everyone else on the road discriminating against us - that's not going anywhere, so better be sure you grab your bat when you go to practice ;-)

Views and opinions expressed above are not necessarily direct reflections of what I ACTUALLY think LOL

...or do
Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

i only get problems from Lexus drivers usually the IS and GS, they are complete idiots,
and some MBenz road hogs, whether real AMG or fake AMG.
In HK the E60 (modded) gets a lot of respect on the road, even from Jap cars, cos
it still rules the executive car throne.....
Old 03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Sport - MANUAL - Jet Black/Black 20" Miro Time Attacks, Bimmian Carbon Kidneys

No matter where I am, or what I'm driving, it's the Mustang dudes who feel the need to rev on me. I had a Caddy before I had the 545, and dudes in Mustangs would give me the WORST looks, and then blow by me or cut me off. I have NO clue why. I worked for this dealer in Irvine, we had all sorts of fun toys. One morning I was making about a 2 mile trip in the Noble M12 GTO 3R we had... FUN... Anyway, I'm at the light just leaving the dealer, and I look over and this dude in a Mustang GT was just staring at me... I was sort of creeped out, then I just laughed when he took off all fast. Just about sucked his doors off on the way to the service center... WHEEEE! At that point I had had enough of the evil eye. A couple weeks later, the EXACT same thing happened, only I was in my boss' delicious 700HP Porsche Turbo... Dude's pride had to have been crushed... or maybe he just wanted to see the Turbo fly? I don't know. A question for any 'stang guys on here... How have I offended you? It's gotten to the point where I just open my door and vomit whenever I see a Mustang. I didn't used to have anything against them. The evil pony gang has left me alone since I've had my 545. Rev on a Noble, but not a Bimmer? What gives? Can't we all just get along?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Members

I purchased my first BMW in 2006. It took less than 1 hour for the first person to cut me off and give me the bird.

Granted, the E60 lends it's self well to driving 80mph - smooth and powerfull.

I've suggested that we have two speed limits. One for those with a BMW and one for everyone else.
Elitist? Maybe, but it's a damn fine car.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by MisledYouth' post='809508' date='Mar 6 2009, 03:34 PM
No matter where I am, or what I'm driving, it's the Mustang dudes who feel the need to rev on me. I had a Caddy before I had the 545, and dudes in Mustangs would give me the WORST looks, and then blow by me or cut me off. I have NO clue why. I worked for this dealer in Irvine, we had all sorts of fun toys. One morning I was making about a 2 mile trip in the Noble M12 GTO 3R we had... FUN... Anyway, I'm at the light just leaving the dealer, and I look over and this dude in a Mustang GT was just staring at me... I was sort of creeped out, then I just laughed when he took off all fast. Just about sucked his doors off on the way to the service center... WHEEEE! At that point I had had enough of the evil eye. A couple weeks later, the EXACT same thing happened, only I was in my boss' delicious 700HP Porsche Turbo... Dude's pride had to have been crushed... or maybe he just wanted to see the Turbo fly? I don't know. A question for any 'stang guys on here... How have I offended you? It's gotten to the point where I just open my door and vomit whenever I see a Mustang. I didn't used to have anything against them. The evil pony gang has left me alone since I've had my 545. Rev on a Noble, but not a Bimmer? What gives? Can't we all just get along?

Haven't offended me at all, but then again, I own one of each..

Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='809970' date='Mar 7 2009, 06:34 AM
Haven't offended me at all, but then again, I own one of each..

lol, what a baller.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I have people cut me off all the time.
My license plate also saying EGO probably doesn't help.

Quick Reply: Why are BMW drivers hated?