E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Who would buy a 550i now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='524580' date='Jan 30 2008, 01:28 AM
Ya thats included... second to the last thing on the 535 spec
Hate to differ with you but it is not, it is listed as a separate option on the 535i or 535ix when you attempt to build it on BMWUSA.com while it is included on the 550i.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='524440' date='Jan 29 2008, 06:07 PM
You read way too much into the " " I posted. There was nothing to get. I was laughing at the link to "buyers remorse" not pointing at anything or anyone. Pointing is rude.

Kudos to alex123 for having a sense of humor about this debate. Some seem to be lacking this key ingredient.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2' post='524198' date='Jan 29 2008, 10:12 AM
Somewhere in Munich,
BMW VP of marketting handed 1-euro bill to VP of sales and said, "yeah you right, they'll bicker like crazy about 535i vs 550i".
PS:Remember the trading place movie with Eddie murphy and Dan Akryod???
That's one of my favorite movies of all time!!! They should have arranged to put a 550 guy in a 528 and given the 528 guy an M5! "Looking good billy Ray...feeling good Louis!"

On buyers remorse, I feel for the folks that got a 530 and a month later the 535 hits show rooms. But then again, this market segment is probably more interested in style, luxery and handling which all e60 do well no matter what under the hood.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='524687' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:32 AM
That's one of my favorite movies of all time!!! They should have arranged to put a 550 guy in a 528 and given the 528 guy an M5! "Looking good billy Ray...feeling good Louis!"

On buyers remorse, I feel for the folks that got a 530 and a month later the 535 hits show rooms. But then again, this market segment is probably more interested in style, luxery and handling which all e60 do well no matter what under the hood.
Buyer's remorse is when one feels doubt because one is uncertain if he/she got the "value" out of it. If the buyer does reasonable research and buys his/her car to only find out that the seller was indirectly being deceptive (such as in my case), it would not be buyer's remorse. It would be a feeling of indifference for awhile. While I got a great deal for the car, I was willing to pay the premium for the short wait if the salepeople would tell me instead of trying to make a sale and moving the old models out. Believe me, that's no buyer's remorse. It's call pissed . . . at the time.

This goes back to the main topic of the this thread which is about finding the "value" between 535i and a 550i. Most of us buy things based on the "value" of the object . . . the most for your money based on styling (want), reliability (value), performance (value), and utility (value). You buy a 550i because that's all you want to spend for that type of car. Otherwise, you can buy a Maserati Quattro or an M5 for a higher set of values.

Assuming that you're a typical 5 er buyer that likes performance and styling of the e60. You base your "value" on X amount of dollars. Between a 535i and a 550i, everything is the same except performance, particularly the engine and a $3-$5K difference. Assuming reliability is not an issue when you boost the TT i6 to v8 level or beyond, why wouldn't you get an TT i6? It's not like you're using the boost all the time or even every time you run up against a v8 5 er? It's like NOS without the bottle and tubing/wiring. Beside, we buy the 5 for handling first, and then engine performance.

So, by isolating the "value" to engine performance, the TT i6 is much better value than the current 4.8i V8.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='524807' date='Jan 30 2008, 02:34 PM
Buyer's remorse is when one feels doubt because one is uncertain if he/she got the "value" out of it. If the buyer does reasonable research and buys his/her car to only find out that the seller was indirectly being deceptive (such as in my case), it would not be buyer's remorse. It would be a feeling of indifference for awhile. While I got a great deal for the car, I was willing to pay the premium for the short wait if the salepeople would tell me instead of trying to make a sale and moving the old models out. Believe me, that's no buyer's remorse. It's call pissed . . . at the time.

This goes back to the main topic of the this thread which is about finding the "value" between 535i and a 550i. Most of us buy things based on the "value" of the object . . . the most for your money based on styling (want), reliability (value), performance (value), and utility (value). You buy a 550i because that's all you want to spend for that type of car. Otherwise, you can buy a Maserati Quattro or an M5 for a higher set of values.

Assuming that you're a typical 5 er buyer that likes performance and styling of the e60. You base your "value" on X amount of dollars. Between a 535i and a 550i, everything is the same except performance, particularly the engine and a $3-$5K difference. Assuming reliability is not an issue when you boost the TT i6 to v8 level or beyond, why wouldn't you get an TT i6? It's not like you're using the boost all the time or even every time you run up against a v8 5 er? It's like NOS without the bottle and tubing/wiring. Beside, we buy the 5 for handling first, and then engine performance.

So, by isolating the "value" to engine performance, the TT i6 is much better value than the current 4.8i V8.
Huh, you lost me with your logic. I guess it is ok if it makes sense to you.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='524807' date='Jan 30 2008, 02:34 PM

No one is questioning the 535 is a better value, I personally think its a better car. If my car was up on lease today and I was offered a 550 for the SAME price as a 535 Dinan Software car, I would still make the same choice as I did 6 months ago and get the 535. To me they all handle well with the sport package and I have an advantage if a competition was driving through a road course because I have done road track racing and am therefore more experience than the normal guy. But when the light turns green, and you both stomp the gas pedal, its all about the hp & torque (yes there is launching techniques, and shifting preferences) and I need the car to contribute that.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='524807' date='Jan 30 2008, 03:34 PM

I think I understand what you are saying, but you have to appreciate that a V8 offers a specific "value" to some buyers that a tuned I6 tt doesn't . Lot's of us had the choice to buy either and many of us still went for the 550, in Canada you can even get the 535 and 535xi with the M Sport package from the factory and the cars are virtually identical except the wheels and tires ( and badge ). To appreciate the differences that the tuned I6 offers means that you are pushing the car a little harder , to drive the 550 and simply have that power at all levels without pushing the car is something that provides a great degree of pleasure( value) for most 550 owners I'm sure. Don't get me wrong the 535 is an awesome car and if tuned it is even better ................. but for lots of us we just like a V8, simple as that.No amount of "selling" is likely going to change that for lots of us.How often do we all drive to the point of noticing the difference anyway , some of the most pleasureable driving is slow and controlled, just enjoying the cars handling and driving characteristics.....................
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='524637' date='Jan 30 2008, 04:21 AM
Hate to differ with you but it is not, it is listed as a separate option on the 535i or 535ix when you attempt to build it on BMWUSA.com while it is included on the 550i.

What are you talking about did you see post #5????? I included the PDCs in the 535's price calculation in post 5... heres a snap shot of post #5. please go back and read it.

Here to make it even easier... heres a direct link to post #5
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=523681

Am I missing something? Did I screw up? Please enlighten me.

Who would buy a 550i now?-omg.jpg
Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='524832' date='Jan 30 2008, 03:12 PM
just like a V8, simple as that
+1
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='525068' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:14 PM
What are you talking about did you see post #5????? I included the PDCs in the 535's price calculation in post 5... heres a snap shot of post #5. please go back and read it.

Here to make it even easier... heres a direct link to post #5
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=523681

Am I missing something? Did I screw up? Please enlighten me.
I did not realize that you already added it into your calculations, I thought you meant it was not an additional cost option on the 535i and is included as it is on the 550i. Just a simple misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: Who would buy a 550i now?