E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

When do u know when to change Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

According to both iDrive and the Manual, the Air Filter must be good for the life of the car.

WHAT!!! I hear you ask.

Yes, there is NOTHING in any Service Schedule, Service Book or iDrive to tell you when to change your Air filter.
Having relatively recently had a "Service" (as opposed to Oil Service), I know it wasn't changed then.
My car has only 35k miles on the clock.

As if by chance, last weekend I decided to have a look at the Microfilters. I am due to take my Caravan up to the Scottish Highlands soon, (ordinary motorists beware!!) and with the Front Brakes showing 7000 miles to go and the Microfilters 3000 miles to go I decided that a look-see was in order - I'm old fashioned like that.

Under both microfilters there was a large compacted area of dead leaves (I have to park my car under trees for long periods). I wanted to check my brake fluid too, so I stripped all the covers off. As I was doing half the job anyway, I went the whole hog and had a look at the Air Filter. The Housing on the diesels is on the side of the engine, and I was shocked to see that the housing was also packed solid with dead leaves. I must have got enough to half fill a 2 gallon bucket out of the air filter alone! The filter itself, although not clean wasn't in too bad a shape, but I am going to change it before I go on holiday anyway, along with the microfilters. Hence the reason I know that there is nothing in the books about replacement.

As far as the brakes were concerned, the 7000 mile estimate by iDrive I reckon wasn't too far out. The rears said 15000 to change on the iDrive, but I will be lucky to get that much out of them.

FWIW, for the cost of the air filters, just change it. Those with petrol engines, I understand the filter is pretty easy to change, whereas the diesel ones are a little more involved, but simple enough if you have the tools.

Mike
Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx mike, appreciate ur help. i know it is easy to change, but here in lebanon, everything is overrated, costs are way up.