E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

wheel mishap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by jackstraw' post='808959' date='Mar 6 2009, 02:17 AM
Ouch! That doesn't sound good. For my sake, I'm hoping it's just the wheels.

I'm wondering if I should go to all the trouble of jacking up the car and taking the wheels off, or if I should just have it towed to the dealer.

Can't tow it ... front and rear tires bad. Best to lift on a flatbed wrecker.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='809445' date='Mar 6 2009, 02:36 PM
First of all, you need to never let your wife drive your car again. Buy her a Pinto with a roll cage and tell her to have at it. Secondly, you need to demand 3 months of road head for this incident and accept no alternatives. Lastly, buy some new rims at least 19's.
+2
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Members

My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

Update....

I went back this AM to deal with the damage. Fortunately the car itself had not been messed with overnight... it was in a well lit parking lot that was looked after by a security guard. I couldn't see any noticeable damage, so I jacked up the car and took both wheels off (front driverside and rear driverside). The wheels looked fine. I then noticed that both tires had a puncture in the (outside) sidewall. Leaving the car jacked up, I ran down to a tire store and showed them to the guys there.

Obviously, with a puncture in the sidewall, there's not much you can do to fix it. So now it comes down to figuring out what to do. Right now I have 19" Continental tires on the front. The tread wear on the front is still pretty good... it measures 8 1/2. On the rear, I have 19" Continental SportContact2 tires with a tread of 6/32.

So things to consider with replacing the tires....

- I probably want to run the same brand tire on all 4
- I don't want too much tread wear difference on the back left and back right
- I want the same tread pattern on the back 2

Here's what the tire salesman told me: He can get me a brand new tire that matches for the front today. However, for the back... he said they don't make SportContact2's anymore. They now make a SportContact3, which has a different tread pattern.

So do I hunt around town for SportContact2? Or is the 6/32 tread on the back right going to be too much of a difference?

I guess I could replace both of the back tires with SportContact3's and put 1 new on the front.

Or do I replace all 4 tires with a different brand that is less expensive than Continental, like Pirelli or some other brand?

In the mean time, I used my AAA membership to have the car towed to my house (on a flatbed) and it's sitting in my driveway with the two flat tires on until I figure out what to do.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

i reckon your mrs was doing doughnuts!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

Originally Posted by westside' post='809490' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:18 PM
i reckon your mrs was doing doughnuts!

She "claims" it was a pothole on Sunset Blvd. @ La Brea!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:59 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Tire Rack has Conti2's in stock. They get shipped to you in a few days.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ObD' post='809726' date='Mar 6 2009, 05:59 PM
Tire Rack has Conti2's in stock. They get shipped to you in a few days.
Yeah thanks, I saw that too. I actually found a shop close by that has them in stock for about the same price.

I think I will change both rear tires and just the one front damaged tire. The good front tire that's on now measures 8.5. So it's only lost about 1.5/32 tread... I don't think that warrants spending another $300.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jackstraw' post='809485' date='Mar 6 2009, 03:08 PM
Update....

I went back this AM to deal with the damage. Fortunately the car itself had not been messed with overnight... it was in a well lit parking lot that was looked after by a security guard. I couldn't see any noticeable damage, so I jacked up the car and took both wheels off (front driverside and rear driverside). The wheels looked fine. I then noticed that both tires had a puncture in the (outside) sidewall. Leaving the car jacked up, I ran down to a tire store and showed them to the guys there.

Obviously, with a puncture in the sidewall, there's not much you can do to fix it. So now it comes down to figuring out what to do. Right now I have 19" Continental tires on the front. The tread wear on the front is still pretty good... it measures 8 1/2. On the rear, I have 19" Continental SportContact2 tires with a tread of 6/32.

So things to consider with replacing the tires....

- I probably want to run the same brand tire on all 4
- I don't want too much tread wear difference on the back left and back right
- I want the same tread pattern on the back 2

Here's what the tire salesman told me: He can get me a brand new tire that matches for the front today. However, for the back... he said they don't make SportContact2's anymore. They now make a SportContact3, which has a different tread pattern.

So do I hunt around town for SportContact2? Or is the 6/32 tread on the back right going to be too much of a difference?

I guess I could replace both of the back tires with SportContact3's and put 1 new on the front.

Or do I replace all 4 tires with a different brand that is less expensive than Continental, like Pirelli or some other brand?

In the mean time, I used my AAA membership to have the car towed to my house (on a flatbed) and it's sitting in my driveway with the two flat tires on until I figure out what to do.
File a comprehensive claim with your insurance company - and a similar claim against the municipality where the damage occurred. It is very likely that your rims are out of wack too - especially if your tire sidewalls were damaged. I'd go for a wheel and tire package - try one of the forum sponsors or TireRack.

You might be able to find a quick deal for wheels and tires for sale on the forum too!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Members

Just an update...

On Friday, I talked to the guy that sold me the car, he's the fleet manager at the dealership. He told me to call John @ Wesco Wheel & Tire, in Van Nuys. I made the call, and this guy was great.... very friendly and laid-back. He has the Continental SportContact2's in stock and gave me a good price... much cheaper than the shops around Hollywood. He told me to stop by anytime on Saturday before closing and he would take care of me. I had a AAA flatbed tow truck take me and my 550 up to Wesco. The flatbed unloaded my car inside the enormous garage. Two guys raised the car with jacks, took all four wheels off and checked them for bends and damage.... fortunately the wheels are fine. I did however decide to have them fix some curb rash. So he's going to send them out and have them repainted. In the meantime, he had his guys put on a set of 'loaner' wheels, which look like they came off a 528. The whole process took no more than 15 minutes and I was on my way home in my car. The wheels and tires should be ready to pick up in 2 or 3 days.

So I decided not to get new wheels... however, this guy has quite a selection of after-market wheels in stock. Personally, I don't mind the look of the 19" 550i Sport package stock wheels.

If you're looking for tire/wheel service in the LA area, so far I would recommend this place. They specialize in BMW... while I was there, an M5, M3 and a 3 series all pulled up for service. I also heard that pretty much all So. Cal BMW dealerships outsource to Wesco for wheel chrome plating.

Wesco Tire & Wheel
7720 Airport Business Pkwy
Van Nuys, CA 91406
(818) 786-4100