E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

wheel mishap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

My wife borrowed my car tonight to go out to dinner with friends and I got a call... "I think I have a flat tire." I drove out to meet her, to find that TWO tires are flat!!!

According to her, it sounds like she hit a pot hole or something. The tire pressure indicator went on within a block or two and she pulled over. So both driverside tires are flat. I decided to leave the car in a restaurant parking lot overnight and deal with it in the morning.

What do you guys think? It doesn't sound like she ran over a nail or anything. Do you think she cracked the wheels? They are stock wheels that come with the 2008 550i Sport. Obviously not run-flat tires.

I guess my plan is to take the two bad wheels off and take them over to a tire shop to see if they can diagnose it. If they are cracked, I guess I'll call the dealer and see what they say to do. I've never had two flats at the same time before.

If the wheels are cracked, how much do you think the dealer will charge to replace them?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Members

Damaged wheels for sure. I just did this same thing to mine last week and it is still in the shop. So far I have found out that I need new wheels, new tires, and then all sorts of other stuff like sway bars and steering stuff. They are faxing me the work estimate tomorrow so I will now for sure. Bottom line is------ NOT CHEAP!!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Members

My Ride: *on order* expected 12/20/07: 2008 550i space gray, gray leather, anthracite bamboo, sport pkg, logic7, iPod, HD, Sirius, Navigation, head-up display, comfort access, heated front seats, fold-down seats

Ouch! That doesn't sound good. For my sake, I'm hoping it's just the wheels.

I'm wondering if I should go to all the trouble of jacking up the car and taking the wheels off, or if I should just have it towed to the dealer.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by jackstraw' post='808959' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:17 PM
Ouch! That doesn't sound good. For my sake, I'm hoping it's just the wheels.

I'm wondering if I should go to all the trouble of jacking up the car and taking the wheels off, or if I should just have it towed to the dealer.

sounds like you might be in the market for some new "aftermarket wheels"!!

IMHO - you might as well pony up and get yourself a nice set of 19's or 20's.. You can probably a full set of wheels and tires for the same cost of 2 OEM wheels from the dealer...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Stock rims from BMW? Those are pretty strong.... I do think the likelihood of
getting nails in two tires is very low so it's got to be those brutal potholes.
Some are sunken in with 90 degree edges and can cause some serious damage
at times.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

if you purchased the wheel and tires insurance you can get new tires.. if they got flat by nails, glass or whatever.. and if your rims are bent or not holding air that is covered as well.. if not i guess its possible that she banged them up on her own.. but she would have to have hit a pothole pretty big to cause 2 flats simultaneously.. you have roadside? you can use them.. hope you get it worked out and let us know what she did..
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

Sounds like she banged into, or jumped a curb.
Let's hope not, my wife did something similar in mine and the insurance bill was over $21,000.00.

Just looked like 2 flats when I saw it, but the suspension was damaged front and rear.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

More than likely the wheels are bent. Not going to be cheap unless you bought the wheel insurance. A must buy if you choose 19" or larger, IMHO.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by leggomysakyo' post='808964' date='Mar 6 2009, 03:26 AM
sounds like you might be in the market for some new "aftermarket wheels"!!

IMHO - you might as well pony up and get yourself a nice set of 19's or 20's.. You can probably a full set of wheels and tires for the same cost of 2 OEM wheels from the dealer...
Buy a set of 19s. Then you will have a 'setup' for even more damaged wheels, tires, suspension. Also, if you have spare cash lying around, you will now (with 19s) get an opportunity to spend bigger $$ on tires, as 19s are extremely expensive.

Look at it this way: You will help the economy.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Contributors

First of all, you need to never let your wife drive your car again. Buy her a Pinto with a roll cage and tell her to have at it. Secondly, you need to demand 3 months of road head for this incident and accept no alternatives. Lastly, buy some new rims at least 19's.

Quick Reply: wheel mishap