E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's Up With The Whole Back Up Camera Thing??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I can attest that the backup cameras that I've used (including the one on my wife's 06 MDX provide incredible detail - so much so that I can pull into a spot and backup within inches of the car behind me).

HOWEVER, in a perfect world, we would have both. Here's why...

When backing up out of my garage, my PDC goes berserk with false positives due to the garage door - so even if someone was behind me I would not be able to tell (often the display is not on for almost 30 seconds after starting the car). HERE I want the backup camera which I use everytime I backup out of my garage in the MDX.

However, by the end of the driveway, in the MDX I'm often no longer focusing on the camera, I'm looking at the street to make sure it is clear. HERE the PDC is the right tool as it would warn me instantly if a kid came by on their bike or something.

So I want both.

Oh and if you have ever used the Infiniti's system where it actually shows you where your car is going to end up it is sweet.

Jeff, a wild guess here, but you don't have small kids do you.....?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='538632' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:45 PM
I can attest that the backup cameras that I've used (including the one on my wife's 06 MDX provide incredible detail - so much so that I can pull into a spot and backup within inches of the car behind me).

HOWEVER, in a perfect world, we would have both. Here's why...

When backing up out of my garage, my PDC goes berserk with false positives due to the garage door - so even if someone was behind me I would not be able to tell (often the display is not on for almost 30 seconds after starting the car). HERE I want the backup camera which I use everytime I backup out of my garage in the MDX.

However, by the end of the driveway, in the MDX I'm often no longer focusing on the camera, I'm looking at the street to make sure it is clear. HERE the PDC is the right tool as it would warn me instantly if a kid came by on their bike or something.

So I want both.

Oh and if you have ever used the Infiniti's system where it actually shows you where your car is going to end up it is sweet.

Jeff, a wild guess here, but you don't have small kids do you.....?
FYI - Back-up sensors are a dealer installed option on the MDX.