E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's Up With The Whole Back Up Camera Thing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I have been reading lately that a lot of people really like the backup camera feature on many cars like the Infiniti, etc. Personally, I don't understand this. I have seen back up camera images before and think they are difficult to decipher. I greatly prefer PDC which, in my experience, works way better at warning of obstacles when backing up. Am I missing something here??
Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

It tugs at the heart strings of parents who have nightmares about backing over one of their children! While I've never tested this in any real way, I can see how the PDC might not pick up on a small child, particularly one sitting low on the ground. Just an added saftey feature, which of course they make a profit on...
Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='537506' date='Feb 28 2008, 07:14 PM
It tugs at the heart strings of parents who have nightmares about backing over one of their children! While I've never tested this in any real way, I can see how the PDC might not pick up on a small child, particularly one sitting low on the ground.
Exactly. A guy that worked for the same company as me backed over his daughter about 5 years ago, and painfully regretted not having a backup camera on his car. PDC is great for large barriers, but not sure it would be as good as a camera with smaller objects.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Members

My Ride: Currently MB SL 500 Roadster Next: 2009 535i. Hopefully summer '08

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' post='537507' date='Feb 28 2008, 09:22 PM
Exactly. A guy that worked for the same company as me backed over his daughter about 5 years ago, and painfully regretted not having a backup camera on his car. PDC is great for large barriers, but not sure it would be as good as a camera with smaller objects.
The wide angle also helps when backing out of a driveway. Have you ever tried backing up from your driveway with a big truck parked in a space? The camera can acutually help you see around the corner. At night, the low lux camera highlights obsticles as well. Regardless, any assistance device to help avoid an accident of any is good.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I had the backup camera in my Lexus and yes you are right PDC is much more predictable... the backup camera was not as useful... but like others have said... the camera is good for making sure theres no one behind you. Having Both is ideal... if its one or the other I will take PDC over the camera.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

They really are two different things. PDC helps keep you from scraping your front or rear bumper while the camera helps make sure you aren't backing over anything. PDC is what I prefer, but as the other poster said having both would be great.

I'm so used to PDC that I become a danger to everything around me when I'm in a rental car and don't have it.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6MT

When you are going backwards in a street (typically off a parking space) the rear camera also helps you monitor incoming traffic thanks to it wide angle. This is very useful, and something the PDC won't do.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

people are getting so damned lazy... I witnessed a backup camera whilst on holiday in Tokyo, it's grainy and a preverbial pain in the rectum, what happened to understanding the outer dimensions of your vehice of choice, you know some people shouldn't be entrusted with driving cars of any description because they are simply not up to it.

On the other hand generally it's not a good idea to be walking infront of or behind a moving vehicle, but as your probably on your mobile/cell phone you probably did not notice the artic unit backing over your brain matter.

Driving - Pay Attention
Walking - Pay attention

Do both and my world will be a better place.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently MB SL 500 Roadster Next: 2009 535i. Hopefully summer '08

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='537725' date='Feb 29 2008, 09:56 AM
people are getting so damned lazy... I witnessed a backup camera whilst on holiday in Tokyo, it's grainy and a preverbial pain in the rectum, what happened to understanding the outer dimensions of your vehice of choice, you know some people shouldn't be entrusted with driving cars of any description because they are simply not up to it.

On the other hand generally it's not a good idea to be walking infront of or behind a moving vehicle, but as your probably on your mobile/cell phone you probably did not notice the artic unit backing over your brain matter.

Driving - Pay Attention
Walking - Pay attention

Do both and my world will be a better place.

Point taken. Drivers need to be more attentive and get off their damn cell phones. Another problem is little children don't know when a car is backing out or moving foward so a camera, no matter how grainy would help prevent an unfortunate situatiion.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' post='537507' date='Feb 28 2008, 08:22 PM
A guy that worked for the same company as me backed over his daughter about 5 years ago, and painfully regretted not having a backup camera on his car.
Did she make it through ok?

Quick Reply: What's Up With The Whole Back Up Camera Thing??