E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

whats with people who go slow on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really try not to react to situations like that. If I'm driving the speed limit and someone's in a hurry they should go around. The rest I ignore because it's not worth getting upset.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

in my case they are usually driving their freaking hybrids
Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by crypto
If someone is riding my ass and the road is not open ahead (which would probably be the case), then I may slow down. There is no reason to ride my bumper when I have no where to go. Tailgating someone when they have no other options is just stupid.
I totally agree. In fact, even the UK highway code says that if someone is tailgating then you should drop your speed in case you need to do an emergency stop. Someone who rides my bumper for a few seconds is fine as this just indicates to me that they want to pass so I'll try to keep the car to the left to give them as much room as possible to pass but if they ride my bumper non-stop then all they're doing is making it worse for themselves because I will slow down. Partly this happens automatically as you start wondering and thinking why this person is riding your bumper and then keep checking the review mirror, all this happens while you slowly drop the speed without realising. If they're still riding my bumper then I purposely slow down even more. If they are in a position where they can't overtake then they may eventually hang back at which point I speed up (and they generally get the idea). For those that don't get the idea, they just make it worse for themselves.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
I have often tried to resist passing such people - but more often then not when I do pass them, I find them to be old, or too young, or women, or wearing glasses, or looking for directions.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

If I pick up a tailgater, I will increase my following distance. This gives me and the tailgater more time to stop in the event of an emergency. Therefore, I will have to slow down a little. I will always move over to the slower lane if I am not passing.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
If I pick up a tailgater, I will increase my following distance. This gives me and the tailgater more time to stop in the event of an emergency. Therefore, I will have to slow down a little. I will always move over to the slower lane if I am not passing.
This may not work if you are already going at the speed limit when you pick up the tailgater. The recommended distance between cars does not increase linearly with speed. Therefore by going slower, a tailgater will get closer to the recommended distance. This is probably why it is the recommended action in the situation in the UK highway code.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Lead, Follow... or Get the Hell Outta The Way
Old 06-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Some dickhead in a toyota was driving on the far left lane (fast/passing lane) doing maybe 40mph on a 50mph on the Grand Central Parkway. It was getting so ridiculous that the undercover detective car that was driving behind him for a good mile finally pulled him/her over.

There are way too many dickheads that intentionally drive slow on the far left lane, for what reason? I have no idea.

After putting on the m5tech bumper and HID angel eyes. The dicks in front of me drive even slower. I see them adjusting their rear view mirror to slow down and stare at the HID angel eyes or whatever they are staring at behind them.

Those of you who do drive slow (slower than the posted speed limit) two words for you...

Fuck you.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I really don't care why someone rolls up on my tail, even if I'm doing the speed limit or over. If someone is driving faster than me and I'm in the passing lane, I MOVE OVER. I am not the police or a highway monitor. If I'm doing 80 and someone else closes in at 100, I move over the first chance I get. I will not speed up or slow down and idc what their rush is. It's not my highway.

If you see me closing in on your tail, please just move over the first safe chance you get, don't wonder where I'm going, don't try and slow me down, just slide over. I have no problem downshifting and passing you, actually it's fun. I'm not waiting 10 or 15 seconds for you to decide to move over, if I close in on you and traffic is clear ahead and to your right and I tap my horn or give you a quick flash with my hihgs or my left turn signal and you don't move over, no problem, just stay your course and I'll blow by you on the right and won't think twice or even look at you as I pass. I don't care what you're doing or why you're driving so slow, I just want to GO!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mookish
I really don't care why someone rolls up on my tail, even if I'm doing the speed limit or over. If someone is driving faster than me and I'm in the passing lane, I MOVE OVER. I am not the police or a highway monitor. If I'm doing 80 and someone else closes in at 100, I move over the first chance I get. I will not speed up or slow down and idc what their rush is. It's not my highway.

If you see me closing in on your tail, please just move over the first safe chance you get, don't wonder where I'm going, don't try and slow me down, just slide over. I have no problem downshifting and passing you, actually it's fun. I'm not waiting 10 or 15 seconds for you to decide to move over, if I close in on you and traffic is clear ahead and to your right and I tap my horn or give you a quick flash with my hihgs or my left turn signal and you don't move over, no problem, just stay your course and I'll blow by you on the right and won't think twice or even look at you as I pass. I don't care what you're doing or why you're driving so slow, I just want to GO!
I couldn't have said it any better!

Quick Reply: whats with people who go slow on purpose?