E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the most stupid thing about the E60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

the speed cut off at 155...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='534691' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:25 PM
With the integrated Bluetooth, why do you need somewhere to put your phone? Just leave it in your jacket hung on the hook by the back door - or in your handbag if you're a girl etc, etc, etc.....

Mind you - this has pissed me off many times.....shitty storage in a ?45K car. If you leave anything on the shelf under the iDrive screen and pull away too fast, it all ends up in the back seat. You'd think a small lip there would have been common sense. And if you have a phone, cigarettes, lighter and a wallet you want to store and have them all easily accessible, you are screwed unless you dont want to actually see the iDrive screen.
never used the bluetooth

for easy accessibility, thats why i put my phone there. as for your wallet, cigarettes, lighter, what not, i find the shelf on the door to the side easily accessible. used to keep my sunglasses there.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

The thing most annoys me is everytime I leave the car off for few hours, the air condition will turn-on after I start up the car. I have to turn it off every time. :thumbsdown:

Can I have some control of my own vehicle??
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

CUP HOLDERS.

ever since i got the car i have been waiting for someone to break them,
1. cupholders are too close to passengers legs, he wont be able to move his leg comfortably. and chest, (makes me wonder what happens in an accedent with airbags inflating)
2. at some points my passengers have shot the drinks in the cup holders with there legs. (non of my cupholders have been broken by someones legs yet, but its jus a matter of time)
3. there mechanical movement, means that they can jam and break easier. (espically when some soda spils, mine was already replaced under warranty when it jammed)
4. why on earth with the driver cupholder be on the passenger side. thats the farthest i ever reach in my car. (possible the most disracting (dangerous) normal action while driving the e60.
5. they are optional here, (and in europe i understand) now why would anyone chose not to get cupholder. (just another way to make a little money out of the customer)

this is EASILY the the worst design idea in HISTORY.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='534678' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:53 PM
BMD, you don't show what make or model of car you are talking about??
sorry, 2005, 525d (so the pre-LCI) and European version.

add one:
- off is not off. the lag of turning off the nav (and other systems) is annoying when you need a restart (due to nav not switching back from dynamic route planning to shortest route or due to DVD being stuck in drive).
Old 02-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Members

My Ride: MY08 525i, platinum grey, black dakota leather, black trim, sunroof, HUD, bluetooth, TV, phone, 70% tint

[quote name='lylerichards' date='Feb 22 2008, 01:48 PM' post='534575']
1. No place to put cell phone.

My dealer gave me an orginial BMW supplied Nokia phone cradle/charger which sits inside the centre arm rest.

I put my sunglasses in the little felt-lined drawer underneath the headlight switch. Coins go in the ash tray.

Agree that the drink cup holders are too small to hold anything other than minature sized drink bottles.

So little thought put into making life easier for the driver....may be they thought we would be so impressed with i-Drive, that nothing else would matter.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='534557' date='Feb 22 2008, 01:33 PM
You can change the display for the right side screen.
Do tell.

Maybe you misunderstood my complaint:
The only displays I can get on the drivers assistance window are all Navigation type functions. There are times when I don't need this type of info at all and would like to have other displays on the right side.

Worse, if you turn the split screen function off the right side just goes blank and you are stuck with 2/3 of an active display.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='534844' date='Feb 23 2008, 07:40 AM
The thing most annoys me is everytime I leave the car off for few hours, the air condition will turn-on after I start up the car. I have to turn it off every time.

mine does stay off as it was at shut down. only when I hit 'auto' it comes on every time. I read that that can be changed by the dealer.

Add another one two:

- changing ventilation is a hassle through the i-drive and there are no presets (perhaps in post-LCI?) so it's either auto by BMW or go through the whole menu thing to adjust things. I prefer direct access buttons with immediate response:

- turn the lights off (from auto) and it takes two seconds before it reacts. Like the old Windows 3.11 days on an XT

think I should stop thinking about the annoyances, starts to sound like I hate that car.

so here's something I like:

- it can get dirty very nicely. Highway dirt doesn't stick on the wrong places. I mean that you only have to wipe the side windows and the mirrors once in a while (and perhaps the headlights). all the other dirt doesn't bother or get in the way. I've had cars that felt very filthy even when only lightly dirty. Somehow this one doesn't. The pop-up boot helps too of course.

- bluetooth carkit works very well. not the i-drive interface but the speed of connect and disconnect I like.

- huge window-washer fluid tank. I love that. not that it wipes the whole window clean but at least I don't have to fill it often.

- quick to defrost side mirrors

- like the manual mode of the automatic gearbox: I prefer to leave it in 6th on the motorway in some traffic rather than have it change back to 5 or 4 when I can overtake. It has enough torque anyway so no need to change (bad for fuel cons too actually) but the sensitivity of the gaspedal (or my foot) connects to the gear's brain in a way that is not always the same. (could mention that as a minus but let's stay positive
Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='534789' date='Feb 23 2008, 05:30 AM
Ja, indeed. The laws of physics make it dangerous actually.
and it probably gets fried in the summer sun......
Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Members

My Ride: MY08 525i, platinum grey, black dakota leather, black trim, sunroof, HUD, bluetooth, TV, phone, 70% tint

What about wind screen wipers not adjusted for right hand drive production. Now that's just sloppy engineering which would.....dare i say it?....never happen with Lexus.

There's a large unswept area on the top right hand corner of the drivers side of the windscreen in right hand drive cars.

Quick Reply: What's the most stupid thing about the E60?