E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is your opinion of xDrive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harlem
what body roll????????? are you serious???? what do you do? are you a race driver??
I can't see any reason for driving 4 wheels regardless of the road conditions. To prove my point I removed my front brakes too why the heck do they make us deal with the added weight of brakes on all four wheels

Just kidding

Old 12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

i personally don't see the benefit of xi, but i am in texas and snow here is unlikely at best. also i think the only real benefit of the xi is for extreme situations where you need all the handling you can get. i may be under-informed when it comes to the xi's of bmw, but sometimes i think the less you know, the better. with xi, all wheels spin. do you need all your wheels to spin? if you're not around a lot of snow or live in the mud or everglades, then i would say no. case closed
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i personally don't see the benefit of xi, but i am in texas and snow here is unlikely at best. also i think the only real benefit of the xi is for extreme situations where you need all the handling you can get. i may be under-informed when it comes to the xi's of bmw, but sometimes i think the less you know, the better. with xi, all wheels spin. do you need all your wheels to spin? if you're not around a lot of snow or live in the mud or everglades, then i would say no. case closed
if i lived in texas my choice probably would not be xdrive,but depends on what model i was looking to buy.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Even in a non-snow climate, the xDrive helps in rain.

There is another benefit. I'm convinced that tires last longer. Since all 4 wheels get traction, the tires wear more evenly.

As far as snow, I'll tell you that I left Pittsburgh last year at 5PM the evening the major blizzard started and drove home to Fairfax. Took me 9 hours to get home. The conditions were as bad as I've ever seen (and I'm from Chicago). Penn Turnpike was a mess and I-70 was even worse. I admit it was dicey, but without xDrive I would have never made it without incident.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
You don't need it in CT. I would get a 530i Sport and invest in a second set of winter wheels with some Blizzaks. You'll regret not having the BMW sport tuned suspension if you get the XI, which makes a BMW, a BMW!
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE!!!!!!
Now, to the OP.......YOU DONT NEED IT ANYWHERE IN THE TRI-STATE AREA! Like I always said, if I lived in Colorado, then "maybe"
With a set of dedicated Winters, youre, just as capable as an all-season tire Xi.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by bha7176
Seriously, unless you are tracking the car or will be driving like an idiot all around the country everytime you get into the vehicle, the difference between X-drive and RWD with sport is moot.
Well, that would be me, I drive like a complete fool every chance I get. Unless you live in Aspen, you don't really need x-drive. The dealers here in NYC always suckers customers into that "you'll thank me when it snows" crap. My 550 and my 545 never really saw snow yet, but my e39 528 did and yes it was a pain, but that's only like the first day. After day two the streets are basically cleared. Plus it makes me a better driver. Of course the xdrive suckers, I mean owners will say " seriously, there's no difference, it the best thing ever". Just think about how much actual time ther is a good amount of snow on the ground in your area as opposed to no snow, are you gonna buy an xdrive because of actual snow on the ground for maybe two weeks combined? And miss out on all of that dry asphalt waiting to be conquered for the other 50 weeks in the year? And I don't even run winter tires, I just drive.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

[quote name='mookish' timestamp='1293062981' post='1285968']
Well, that would be me, I drive like a complete fool every chance I get. Unless you live in Aspen, you don't really need x-drive. The dealers here in NYC always suckers customers into that "you'll thank me when it snows" crap. My 550 and my 545 never really saw snow yet, but my e39 528 did and yes it was a pain, but that's only like the first day. After day two the streets are basically cleared. Plus it makes me a better driver. Of course the xdrive suckers, I mean owners will say " seriously, there's no difference, it the best thing ever". Just think about how much actual time ther is a good amount of snow on the ground in your area as opposed to no snow, are you gonna buy an xdrive because of actual snow on the ground for maybe two weeks combined? And miss out on all of that dry asphalt waiting to be conquered for the other 50 weeks in the year? And I don't even run winter tires, I just drive.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

^^ You must be the guy I pass in the ditch with his summer tires in Janaury.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
^^ You must be the guy I pass in the ditch with his summer tires in Janaury.
Never that, I keep a mini telescoping shovel in my trunk just in case. The first day it snows, it park up and let the city plows do their thing, then I'm back out on the road. I've been rear wheel driving it since my 240sx, my e36 330ci, my e39 528i, and the e60 545i and now 550i. Like I said, depends on where you live, NYC doesn't need it at all. But hey, the more inexperienced drivers in xdrives, the better for me, I don't need y'all fishtailing into me. Leave the true sports driving to us professionals.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

another bmw race car driver.
Originally Posted by mookish
Never that, I keep a mini telescoping shovel in my trunk just in case. The first day it snows, it park up and let the city plows do their thing, then I'm back out on the road. I've been rear wheel driving it since my 240sx, my e36 330ci, my e39 528i, and the e60 545i and now 550i. Like I said, depends on where you live, NYC doesn't need it at all. But hey, the more inexperienced drivers in xdrives, the better for me, I don't need y'all fishtailing into me. Leave the true sports driving to us professionals.

Quick Reply: What is your opinion of xDrive?