E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is your opinion of xDrive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

I though Xi had, in normal driving condition, all the power is applied to the rear wheels. And in icy conditions, UP TO a maximum of 40% of the power could be transfered to the front wheels. So that basically Xi are RWD in normal driving condition.

Thanks!
Ben
Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Ben535xi
Hi guys!

I thought Xi had, in normal driving condition, all the power applied to the rear wheels. And in icy conditions, UP TO a maximm of 40% of the power could be transfered to the front wheels. So that basically Xi are RWD in normal driving condition.

Thanks!
Ben
That's also what I heard from a dealer salesperson, but the commentary I'm reading in this thread suggests otherwise.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

+1
Originally Posted by bha7176
oh, and we only run year round tires on the XI's. No need for winter tires with XI. Again, you could spend the money and get four of them, but you do not need them.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

+1 WELL SAID bha7176
Originally Posted by bha7176
Seriously, unless you are tracking the car or will be driving lik

e an idiot all around the country everytime you get into the vehicle, the difference between X-drive and RWD with sport is moot.

I currently own a 2008 550i with M-sport package and my wife owns a 2006 325XI. I previously owned a 2003 330XI. Are there differences - of course. do they really make that much of a difference in everyday driving - absolutely NOT.

the X-drive system is great, makes the car a year rounder instead of a summer crusier. If you are even thinking about using the car all year round and you live where it is known to snow and ice frequently during the winter months - go with an X-drive system and don't ever doubt that you made the absolute best decision. Hell, my 550i sits in the garage all winter while I drive my old Jeep Liberty, as my wife passes me in her 325XI, in a foot of snow.

So, although you will hear all the pro's and con's about this and that and how X-drive sucks and steals the thrill of driving a BMW, DO NOT beleive the hype. they're all damn close to the same unless you are a freakin' expert in car handeling or race cars for a living - for us normal folk, go XI and love it.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ben535xi
Hi guys!

I though Xi had, in normal driving condition, all the power is applied to the rear wheels. And in icy conditions, UP TO a maximum of 40% of the power could be transfered to the front wheels. So that basically Xi are RWD in normal driving condition.

Thanks!
Ben
It's 40/60 by default. It can apportion power either front or back as needed, but the standard default is indeed 40/60.

http://www.bmw.com/c...nology_4x4.html

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...icle=mm_xdrive
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Michiganmike
I previously owned an E39 530i (RWD) and now own an E61 535i with xDrive. The application of xDrive is seamless and transparent in my experience. It does not detract from the driving experience even on dry roads IMHO. On the track or at the limits of performance, the additional weight of xDrive may be a handicap.

The link below is to a video on cnet that illustrates the performance of xDrive.
My link

Lol at the voice in that video. How amazingly...creamy...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Quattro's FWD bias is what really kills it.. Yes it handles well in the snow. My brother had an A4 2.0T quattro and I swear the driving experience was the same as my wife's old Civic.. FWD Lawnmower!

As for my opinion of X-Drive, Vlad stated it quite well. The X-drive is a compromise for us that cannot have our BMWs hibernate for 4 months a year. The X-drive car still provides a good driving experience, and is unbeatable in the snow. It even won me 20 dollars this past winter.

A guy in my neighborhood was digging out his 4WD V8 Explorer after we got about 15 inches of snow (he couldn't get out of the spot). I opened my car, cleaned it off, and as I was about to drive off he joked with me "20 bucks says you can't pull out of this mess with that German sled". Well sure enough, without a hitch smoothly out I went. This is with all-season Conti DWS tires too, not snows.

I opened my window and collected my 20 and said "gotta love that X-drive German sled eh?" and drove off.

That experience made buying an XI worth it

If you have to drive in the winter at all, rock an XI!
I've gotta tell ya, J, at 20 bucks a pop it'll take you like a million snowstorms to get that thing profitable though
Old 08-31-2010, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

If you like body roll, get the XI or a Non-Sport E60. If you're a real BMW driver, get a Sport model RWD with ARS.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
If you like body roll, get the XI or a Non-Sport E60. If you're a real BMW driver, get a Sport model RWD with ARS.
While I agree there is some body roll in the XI, I don't agree you're not a real BMW driver if you own an XI.

Hell, you have even owned an XI yourself. Were you not a real BMW driver for that period in your life?

For a daily driver/commuter car, the XI driving experience is more than good in my opinion. Is a sport package E60 more fun to drive and have less body roll? Ok ya it does. But don't knock the X-drives!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

what body roll????????? are you serious???? what do you do? are you a race driver??
Originally Posted by C's Bimmer

Quick Reply: What is your opinion of xDrive?