E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is your opinion of xDrive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the process of acquiring my 2nd Bimmer, a '07 530xi with manual transmission. I had a 5 speed E39 previously.

What is the general consensus about BMW's xDrive system? My understanding is that under normal conditions, 60% of power goes to the rear axle and 40% to the front, but that if the car senses slippage, it dynamically allocates power to the axle that needs it most. Is that a correct synopsys? Sounds like what Subaru has had for years.

My question is: does the 40/60 ratio "ruin" the driving experience in your opinion? I'm sure I'll appreciate it in the snow here in the Northeast, but what about the majority "normal" conditions? Also, I understand gas mileage for the 5 series is pretty respectable. Does the xDrive system degrade that in any way? I would have to guess that it has some impact, no?
Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by jayarras
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the process of acquiring my 2nd Bimmer, a '07 530xi with manual transmission. I had a 5 speed E39 previously.

What is the general consensus about BMW's xDrive system? My understanding is that under normal conditions, 60% of power goes to the rear axle and 40% to the front, but that if the car senses slippage, it dynamically allocates power to the axle that needs it most. Is that a correct synopsys? Sounds like what Subaru has had for years.

My question is: does the 40/60 ratio "ruin" the driving experience in your opinion? I'm sure I'll appreciate it in the snow here in the Northeast, but what about the majority "normal" conditions? Also, I understand gas mileage for the 5 series is pretty respectable. Does the xDrive system degrade that in any way? I would have to guess that it has some impact, no?
Sounds pretty accurate to me. As for driving in normal conditions, the xDrive can't compare to a non-xDrive with sport. Unlike Audi and Subaru, theres no in-between when it comes to all wheel drive or performance handling. BMW makes you choose one or the other.

Any AWD vehicle will have a lower mpg compared to its non-AWD equivalent
Old 08-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how my X-drive handles - having said that it would most certainly not compared to a sports suspension non-X drive. The X-drive is confidence inspiring and I really don't notice too much of a fuel economy difference. I have a535 xi and these days in regular driving I am getting between 19-21 mpg (all around). On a long trip I can get up to 28 plus mpg.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

i get great gas mileage on my xdrive and the handling is great.its still a BMW xdrive or not.could not be more happy.great car and a great all around car!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

You don't need it in CT. I would get a 530i Sport and invest in a second set of winter wheels with some Blizzaks. You'll regret not having the BMW sport tuned suspension if you get the XI, which makes a BMW, a BMW!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by jayarras

I previously owned an E39 530i (RWD) and now own an E61 535i with xDrive. The application of xDrive is seamless and transparent in my experience. It does not detract from the driving experience even on dry roads IMHO. On the track or at the limits of performance, the additional weight of xDrive may be a handicap.

The link below is to a video on cnet that illustrates the performance of xDrive.
My link
Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

to me, xdrive cars feel more disconnected and understeer noticably. In the northeast, most bmw's are xdrives, so when i found my RWD, i jumped on it.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, 6 speeds manual, Mystic Blue, HID, black interior, premium package, NAV, Bluetooth, heated front seats, Sport steering wheel retrofit, electric shade rear, tinted 35% Mods: illuminated shifter (innovativcar-tech.de), AC Schnitzer front lip, trunk lip, LED interior & angel eyes MTEC V2.1& RDash License Plate lamps & HID fogs(member brabusw209amg), multifunctional front headrests retrofit (schmiedmann.com)

I currently own an E39 '98 and 535xi '06. There are few things to consider before deciding on with or not "x"?
1) if you drive in bad weather, definitely a plus in having the x
2) if you want to upgrade the suspension, you will spend a lot more than on a non-x
3) if you want to upgrade the wheels, less options due to higher offsets but still acceptable options
4) about 15% more fuel on the x version
5) handling - same driving experience (IMO)

Good luck
Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thanks for your comments, guys. Now an add-on question... Do you run winter tires with your xDrive or just rely on the same tires year-round?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Seriously, unless you are tracking the car or will be driving like an idiot all around the country everytime you get into the vehicle, the difference between X-drive and RWD with sport is moot.

I currently own a 2008 550i with M-sport package and my wife owns a 2006 325XI. I previously owned a 2003 330XI. Are there differences - of course. do they really make that much of a difference in everyday driving - absolutely NOT.

the X-drive system is great, makes the car a year rounder instead of a summer crusier. If you are even thinking about using the car all year round and you live where it is known to snow and ice frequently during the winter months - go with an X-drive system and don't ever doubt that you made the absolute best decision. Hell, my 550i sits in the garage all winter while I drive my old Jeep Liberty, as my wife passes me in her 325XI, in a foot of snow.

So, although you will hear all the pro's and con's about this and that and how X-drive sucks and steals the thrill of driving a BMW, DO NOT beleive the hype. they're all damn close to the same unless you are a freakin' expert in car handeling or race cars for a living - for us normal folk, go XI and love it.

Quick Reply: What is your opinion of xDrive?