E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What no more SMG???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

It still amazes me the misinformation/opinions and from of all places, members of this forum, concerning SMG. I am equally amazed that I am still responding to it.
SMG is not better or worse than the Steptronic or 6-speed, its just different and delivers a different driving experience. The sport package is not as smooth as the standard setup, so is it worse. The active steering has a faster ratio but its not as smooth or linear as the std steering. Heated seats make your ass hot and I'm sure that will bother a few. The best news is that BMW offers many variations and I applaud them for this level of innovation.
I, by the way, also like idrive.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='376836' date='Jan 11 2007, 03:31 PM
I test drove the e60 in a manual and I didnt like the clutch feel, just too soft. After driving a manual for many years, I just got tired of it in traffic. As for the macho crap statement, I bet the SMG is better than YOU. Have you ever even driven the SMG?!
well i have... and id gladly swap it for one of those new auto boxes
Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My biggest question about the new automatic sport transmission is how does it handle downshifts? One of my favorite things about the SMG is the downshifts -- they are very smooth and don't upset the balance of the car the way an automatic usually feels when downshifted. In other words, the SMG doesn't feel like you just deployed a parachute or dropped an anchor when downshifted.

I'm going to have a hard time deciding between the new sport auto and the traditional manual now...

Also, I completely agree with subterFUSE and pennetta about the current SMG. It's not likely that they discontinued it because it sucks, they discontinued it because people don't "get it" and neither do the dealers.

It's a sad day for me in BMWland... :thumbsdown:
Old 01-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='377090' date='Jan 11 2007, 10:02 PM
Also, I completely agree with subterFUSE and pennetta about the current SMG. It's not likely that they discontinued it because it sucks, they discontinued it because people don't "get it" and neither do the dealers.

Yep. It really is a shame that BMW doesn't put more effort into training their dealers about the products. If it wasn't for this forum, I would probably never have learned how to drive the SMG smoothly.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='377098' date='Jan 11 2007, 07:29 PM
Yep. It really is a shame that BMW doesn't put more effort into training their dealers about the products.
Blah. ya... it does suck. SMG is an awesome tranny. I'm still keeping my car. I just hope it wont cost too much to maintain out of warranty thats all.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='377124' date='Jan 12 2007, 02:20 PM
Blah. ya... it does suck. SMG is an awesome tranny. I'm still keeping my car. I just hope it wont cost too much to maintain out of warranty thats all.
Well, don't do so much lauch start with vegastrash and I am sure your tranny will last longer

BTW, I wonder why BMW didn't put a SMGII in instead of just discontinuing the SMG option in the E60, any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Contributors

DSG is the way to go in the future, combines the best of both worlds. I bet we will see a DSG type dual clutch tranny in a BMW fairly soon. Probably the first 5er application will be in F10. Before that we will see the new X6 crossover (launch in 2008) which might be the opportunity to introduce the new transmission. BMW always launches major new technologies together with a new model.

BTW, Ford is introducing their own DSG probably in 12-18 months time. First application will be in Volvo, and potentially in Jaguar XK. The transmission will later on migrate to Mondeo, S-Max and Galaxy in Europe.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heikki' post='377149' date='Jan 12 2007, 08:38 AM
I bet we will see a DSG type dual clutch tranny in a BMW fairly soon.
How long can it take to unpick the VAG blueprints and then "improve" them?

ABC
Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='377151' date='Jan 12 2007, 12:49 PM
How long can it take to unpick the VAG blueprints and then "improve" them?

ABC
That's not BMW style...i hope.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='377090' date='Jan 12 2007, 07:02 AM
My biggest question about the new automatic sport transmission is how does it handle downshifts? One of my favorite things about the SMG is the downshifts -- they are very smooth and don't upset the balance of the car the way an automatic usually feels when downshifted. In other words, the SMG doesn't feel like you just deployed a parachute or dropped an anchor when downshifted.

I'm going to have a hard time deciding between the new sport auto and the traditional manual now...

What are you trying to say Rudy?! My car doesn't feel at all destabilised when downshifting, even when driving very hard, cornering etc...

Quick Reply: What no more SMG???