E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What are the merits of I6 engines over V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='369263' date='Dec 19 2006, 10:49 PM
So if having a V6 is not really an improvement to having an I6, why would you advertise it and put a badge about it on the rear of the car?
Now I'm glad I've gone thru this thread, since all comments make sense and before reading it I honestly believed that having an engine with a configuration in V was always better.
6 is better than 4. 'I' is better than 'V'. (Generally of course!) Hope that sorts it...

As already stated the 'V' configuration is a compromise to reduce the physical size of the engine.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='369263
'I' is better than 'V'. (Generally of course!) Hope that sorts it...

As already stated the 'V' configuration is a compromise to reduce the physical size of the engine.
With this said, then an I8 would be better than a V8 if it wouldn't be for the physical size of the engine issue, right?
Then you would probably end up using 1/4 of the engine as center console
Old 12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by the_oracle' post='369223' date='Dec 19 2006, 08:52 PM
[snip]Looking at the two, you can see that the BMW engine has much more power and rev's higher. This is because of the short stroke of the V6 gives it a natural disadvantage. [snip]
No offense, but I disagree on that point. Maximum rotational speed is generally higher in supersquare engines (bore > stroke) - look at bikes. 6600 rpm is not a high engine speed by any account. And 25-30 bhp are easily accounted for by a different engine tuning state (ignition / injection mapping), nor are they "much more" - it's only about 10%...
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Senior Members

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ne/smooth3.htm
Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='369402' date='Dec 20 2006, 09:12 AM
The summary is excellent
Old 12-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Members

My Ride: [b]535d Touring (MY 2005)[/b] [i]High Executive[/i]: Black Sapphire exterior with beige dakota leather interior, Steptronic transmission, servotronic, sportssuspension, sport steering wheel, styling 124 18" wheels with runflats, alarm class 5, electric panaroma roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, comfort seats, heated seats, PDC, Bi-Xenon lights, Adaptive corner lights, extended lightning package, Nav Professional, HUD, bluetooth phone (sony/ericsson), Logic7, 6CD changer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8
Old 12-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

What about diesel straight six engines?
At the mechanical level, are they similar to a petrol I-6?
Do they require any changes in components to handle vibration.

I ask this because even though and inline 6 is more refined that a 4 pot or a V6, I'm guessing that a diesel inline6 is a different beast to a petrol inline6.

Can anyone informed enlighten us on this topic?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='369463' date='Dec 20 2006, 09:40 AM
What about diesel straight six engines?
At the mechanical level, are they similar to a petrol I-6?
Do they require any changes in components to handle vibration.

I ask this because even though and inline 6 is more refined that a 4 pot or a V6, I'm guessing that a diesel inline6 is a different beast to a petrol inline6.

Can anyone informed enlighten us on this topic?
The only major difference between fuel types in an inline 6 is the compression ratio. There is not additional balancing needed in the diesel version of the I6. There are a few inline-5 diesels out there and those are not balanced like the 6 but are generally smoother than the 4's.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Even though engine layout is a major factor in determining levels of vibration, there will be residual vibration and harshness even in the most theoretically perfectly balanced engines. These will vary with the level of precision in the manufacturing of the engine itself as well as some other characteristics (e.g. balancing of ancillary equipment such as alternator, pumps etc.)

There is no inherent difference in the balancing of a Diesel or a petrol engine with similar cylinder layout, but as a Diesel engine is by nature more prone to vibration and noise (combustion is much quicker in Diesels, more like an explosion than a flame), generally the engine suspension and noise suppression is of a higher specification on a Diesel.

So, even though as ImolaRedM says there are no additional components (like balancer shafts) needed IN a Diesel I6 engine, there may be differences in the way the engine is installed. For example, use of liquid-filled bushes for engine mounts and engine encapsulation are generally more widespread on Diesels.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

the diesel redline on my cummings is 3300 rpm. the balancing is second to being able to hanlde the 20:1 compression.

the 6 inline motor fires at 60degree angles and the crank shaft and firing order is enherantly smooth. the 12 are even better. v6s can be made smooth by using even fire cranks where ever jurnal is set to fire on the 60 degree cycle. this however preduces a weaker crank and more machaning. every rod jurnal is separate and not ganged together.

v8s are not smooth and thats why shake and rumble [ one of there benifits to some people]

some 4 and 6s by porsche and mitisbich[sp] use silent crands to balance the motors. their so good you cant even fill the motor run.

Quick Reply: What are the merits of I6 engines over V6