E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what handles better i6 or v8

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
DTD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='995263' date='Sep 1 2009, 06:31 PM
You said people were missing the point "because they start comparing actual models v. models." and you go on to mention "exact same suspension setup-stock sport suspension" I have an enginerring background so when I hear "exact" I assume exact.

Since everyone else was speculating I took your "exact same suspension" and put forward my theory but yes they are not the same because of the different setups. Edmunds has tested both the 535 and the 550 and came up with two numbers that indicate handling.

For the 550
Slalom (mph): 64.9
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0 .87

For the 535
Slalom (mph) 65.3
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.89

If these numbers are accurate then the difference in suspension rates I think has made up for the few hundred pounds in weight although yes the 535 is the better handling car.

End of discussion
Old 09-01-2009, 04:08 PM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Yeah the 535 is the winner, unless "the Stig" shows up and puts on his favorite flavor of rubber and hammers down. Then the numbers are arguably marginal. With a polished driver the 550 could still even up! But if the I6 is lighter, balanced, and can put out the same hp, then well yes it is ripe for the pickens. Could it have better MPG too? The above posts do show some pretty good reasons to like the I6!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by DTD' post='995331' date='Sep 1 2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah the 535 is the winner, unless "the Stig" shows up and puts on his favorite flavor of rubber and hammers down. Then the numbers are arguably marginal. With a polished driver the 550 could still even up! But if the I6 is lighter, balanced, and can put out the same hp, then well yes it is ripe for the pickens. Could it have better MPG too? The above posts do show some pretty good reasons to like the I6!
In terms of handling, the lighter weight of the I6 should make turn in sharper and should have less of a tendency to understeer than the V8. But in terms of power, the TT I6 is no match for the 550's 4.8 liter NA V8 in highway passing power/top end but is a match for it off the line and mid-range power. The sound of the TT I6, however, cannot compare to the snarl/roar of the V8.

Of course, if you do one of the sick ECU reflashes for the TT I6, you will be sporting over 400 bhp, considerably more than the V8 can produce. I can't imagine that the ECU reflash and its dramatic increase in boost from the turbos is good for the engine life of the TT I6.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='994781' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:02 AM
The thing I don't understand here is why. I could understand if there were millions of dollars at stake and these cars were Formula 1. Otherwise, in the real world, both are superbly well handling cars. When you consider their size, weight and capacity, they are astonishingly well handling. The only exception to all of this is PolePosition's 550 which probably handles a lot worse because the 50/50 weight distribution is disrupted by his gallons of carbon fiber
Yes about two months ago (the day of the Ross Docks meet) in the Bear Mountain Twisties that are to the left of the Gate Hill Road exit of the Palisades Parkway (heading toward RT-9W), I was on the tail of a Porsche Boxster thagt really was trying to lose me but couldn't. Now I do suppose that I was comfortable pushing my car closer to the edge of the performance envelope than the Boxster driver was but he was trying to lose me and my 4000 pound 550 in the twisties and could not do so. It does astonish me that the 550i Sport has such tenacious grip and lack of roll (thanks to the sports suspension and ARS) in the twisties for a heavy car.

And there's no doubt that Kerry's 550 is just being weighed down by all of that heavy, ugly carbon fiber.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DTD' post='995331' date='Sep 1 2009, 05:08 PM
The weight distribution for the 535 and 550 is actually virtually identical - there's often a mistaken assumption that the extra mass in a 550 is concentrated up front, and that's simply not true. Both cars are broadly equally balanced.

The other variable is the wheel and tire combination. The 550 Sport comes with non-RFT's on light alloy 172's, the 124 wheels on the stock 535 Sport pack aren't the lightest and I think still come fitted with RFT's which are also heavier and tend to be less grippy than the non-RFT tires. Both tend to pretty important in any handling discussion.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='995351' date='Sep 1 2009, 05:52 PM
Yes about two months ago (the day of the Ross Docks meet) in the Bear Mountain Twisties that are to the left of the Gate Hill Road exit of the Palisades Parkway (heading toward RT-9W), I was on the tail of a Porsche Boxster thagt really was trying to lose me but couldn't. Now I do suppose that I was comfortable pushing my car closer to the edge of the performance envelope than the Boxster driver was but he was trying to lose me and my 4000 pound 550 in the twisties and could not do so. It does astonish me that the 550i Sport has such tenacious grip and lack of roll (thanks to the sports suspension and ARS) in the twisties for a heavy car.

And there's no doubt that Kerry's 550 is just being weighed down by all of that heavy, ugly carbon fiber.
The latest Boxsters are able to pull close to 1G in the corners, are very quick and are incredibly nimble, particularly with PDK. Generally speaking, the Boxster really shouldn't have had any trouble pulling away in the twisties as it's their natural hunting ground. The older Boxsters are nimble cars too, but a little short on power. Maybe you were playing with one of those?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='995372' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:16 PM
The latest Boxsters are able to pull close to 1G in the corners, are very quick and are incredibly nimble, particularly with PDK. Generally speaking, the Boxster really shouldn't have had any trouble pulling away in the twisties as it's their natural hunting ground. The older Boxsters are nimble cars too, but a little short on power. Maybe you were playing with one of those?
I agree completely. This month one of the major car mags just rated the Boxter's sibling the Cayman as the best driver's car in the world at any price.

How fast you go in the twisties is one part car and one part driver. I deduced that the Boxter's driver was not comfortable going above 9/10s. In the twisties, I am fine at 10/10s because I just know exactly where the car's handling limits are and am fine with pushing my car right up to their edge.

But of course with drivers of equal or closely equal ability, the Boxster should be able to demolish the 550 in the twisties.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='995382' date='Sep 1 2009, 06:29 PM
I agree completely. This month one of the major car mags just rated the Boxter's sibling the Cayman as the best driver's car in the world at any price.

How fast you go in the twisties is one part car and one part driver. I deduced that the Boxter's driver was not comfortable going above 9/10s. In the twisties, I am fine at 10/10s because I just know exactly where the car's handling limits are and am fine with pushing my car right up to their edge.

But of course with drivers of equal or closely equal ability, the Boxster should be able to demolish the 550 in the twisties.
Just shows you, the very best mod you can do is put an attorney with some tough deadlines to meet in the driver's seat!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by beallio' post='994755' date='Sep 1 2009, 07:49 AM
A Civic beats the 535, 550, and M5. Hands down.
Not always. An instructor in my E39 M5 caught a Civic with coil-overs in the twisties at Roebling Road. We then passed it on the short straight and ran away from it down the main straight.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='995383' date='Sep 1 2009, 09:32 PM
Just shows you, the very best mod you can do is put an attorney with some tough deadlines to meet in the driver's seat!

I hate to say it but when I tough deadlines at work, I am usually riding the subway.

But get me out of town on a deadline and I take my aggression out on the car.

Quick Reply: what handles better i6 or v8