E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What do you *not* like about 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I have nothing for you.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

1. 535i owners get defensive when people suggest not to buy one because of HPFP issues. great, your car doesn't have those issues, but odds are good buying ANOTHER 535i (whether it be you or the OP) might mean you end up with one with horrible HPFP issues, and that is why many people don't recommend them. it's not a knock on your own personal 535i necessarily.

2. my 20/30 2007 530i mpg ratings are more like 16.5/27.5 in reality in downtown dallas. my friend has a 650i (same engine as 550i) and also lives close to me, but drives 30/70 city/highway and gets only 18mpg. i feel very confident the 550i's 15/22 rating would be more like 12/21 under realistic city driving conditions. i'm sure everyone will blah blah blah chime in saying they get 20mpg like the guy earlier in the thread--but have you even google mapped halifax, PA where he gets 20mpg? there is no way he would get 20mpg in downtown LA bumper-to-bumper traffic. don't even listen to people when they talk about MPG, just know what you're getting into and with BMW's, i definitely say expect the worst.definitely something to consider. anything under 15 is unacceptable in my eyes unless you own a sport's car, or sport's sedan (M5, CTS-V, etc.). that could just be my preference though.

3. for what it's worth, i test drove a 535i after i test drove the car i currently own (255+ hp version of the 530i), and i really couldn't tell a difference in the 0-90mph acceleration WOT test we did in both back-to-back.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
2. my 20/30 2007 530i mpg ratings are more like 16.5/27.5 in reality in downtown dallas. i feel very confident the 550i's 15/22 would be more like 12/21 under similar driving conditions. definitely something to consider. anything under 15 is unacceptable in my eyes unless you own a sport's car, or sport's sedan (M5, CTS-V, etc.). that could just be my preference though.
This is somewhat accurate. I also work in downtown Dallas. The computer in my 550i currently has it calculated at 18.8 with an average speed of 39 miles an hour. I don't recall off hand how many miles there are on this current computer run, but I'd guess it to be around 400. I do not drive to conserve MPG though, so this can be improved. I will say that it does do fairly decent in highway driving. About a month ago I drove 800 miles and had a 28 MPG average.

All that being said, I <3 550
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributors

2. my 20/30 2007 530i mpg ratings are more like 16.5/27.5 in reality in downtown dallas. my friend has a 650i (same engine as 550i) and also lives close to me, but drives 30/70 city/highway and gets only 18mpg. i feel very confident the 550i's 15/22 rating would be more like 12/21 under realistic city driving conditions. i'm sure everyone will blah blah blah chime in saying they get 20mpg like the guy earlier in the thread--but have you even google mapped halifax, PA where he gets 20mpg? there is no way he would get 20mpg in downtown LA bumper-to-bumper traffic. don't even listen to people when they talk about MPG, just know what you're getting into and with BMW's, i definitely say expect the worst.
True but if you are concerned about gas really no BMW should be in the running.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ryan60isu
This is somewhat accurate. I also work in downtown Dallas. The computer in my 550i currently has it calculated at 18.8 with an average speed of 39 miles an hour. I don't recall off hand how many miles there are on this current computer run, but I'd guess it to be around 400. I do not drive to conserve MPG though, so this can be improved. I will say that it does do fairly decent in highway driving. About a month ago I drove 800 miles and had a 28 MPG average.

All that being said, I <3 550
curious, what is your commute? 27mph average here.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I dont like that I dont own one... I could have stretched for it but I decided against it... I wish I had it even though I love my car.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Contributors

curious, what is your commute? 27mph average here.
I live about 10 miles north of downtown, and take 75 in and out.

Mornings usually aren't too bad, but evenings are pretty grueling.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Members

What don't I like? Not much. The accelerator lag was the only thing I felt compelled to change. Its annoying with a 6MT (seems less of an issue with auto). Driving different manuals for all of my life, I've become accustomed to an expected amount of accelerator and clutch engagement. That was fixed with a Sprintbooster (auto version, manual version was too sensitive for what I need) - regardless of the naysayers, its highly annoying trying to pull out in traffic and compensate for the fact the the first 40% of the pedal travel does absolutely nothing to motivate the car.

Other than that, its the best sedan I've ever owned, bar none. Oh, and don't kid yourself - the mileage around town is pretty bad (best I've seen is 14, but generally low 12mpg without hammering it). I chose low mpg over no mpg (didnt want hpfp issues). Also don't kid yourself that the Mtech version is a bitchin' car!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

1. 535i owners get defensive when people suggest not to buy one because of HPFP issues. great, your car doesn't have those issues, but odds are good buying ANOTHER 535i (whether it be you or the OP) might mean you end up with one with horrible HPFP issues, and that is why many people don't recommend them. it's not a knock on your own personal 535i necessarily.

2. my 20/30 2007 530i mpg ratings are more like 16.5/27.5 in reality in downtown dallas. my friend has a 650i (same engine as 550i) and also lives close to me, but drives 30/70 city/highway and gets only 18mpg. i feel very confident the 550i's 15/22 rating would be more like 12/21 under realistic city driving conditions. i'm sure everyone will blah blah blah chime in saying they get 20mpg like the guy earlier in the thread--but have you even google mapped halifax, PA where he gets 20mpg? there is no way he would get 20mpg in downtown LA bumper-to-bumper traffic. don't even listen to people when they talk about MPG, just know what you're getting into and with BMW's, i definitely say expect the worst.definitely something to consider. anything under 15 is unacceptable in my eyes unless you own a sport's car, or sport's sedan (M5, CTS-V, etc.). that could just be my preference though.

3. for what it's worth, i test drove a 535i after i test drove the car i currently own (255+ hp version of the 530i), and i really couldn't tell a difference in the 0-90mph acceleration WOT test we did in both back-to-back.

YOU, my friend, have a bad attitude. Relax a little. And who said that MPG only mattered in downtown LA or Dallas? I gave him real world numbers - how do you know how I drive or presume to think you do from a douche bag search of google maps? The OP didn't ask for downtown stop and go averages, did he/she?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
And who said that MPG only mattered in downtown LA or Dallas?
i never said that. actually i just said that mileage is significantly different in various applications and it's not like when you read one number you therefore know what your car is going to get.

BMWs seem to be all over the place with mileage. my last car was very consistent with 90% of the others just like it.

that's the point i'm making. glad you get 20mpg. if i were able to get 20mpg out of my 530i i'd be really happy, even more happy if i owned a 550i and got the same.

also, he lives *somewhere* in seattle, which could be a pretty intense set of driving circumstances--probably closer to dallas or LA. i just am not sure how providing him with the MPG estimates in the rural area of PA is relevant. sorry if that implies i have a bad attitude.

Quick Reply: What do you *not* like about 550i?