E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what do u hate about your 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005 | 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by nomad' date='Mar 24 2005, 10:45 AM
Never knew bad cupholder design would be so grating. <_<
[snapback]105996[/snapback]
I never knew anyone outside the US even cared about cupholders!
Old 03-24-2005 | 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 24 2005, 09:48 AM
[quote name='nomad' date='Mar 24 2005, 10:45 AM']Never knew bad cupholder design would be so grating. <_<
[snapback]106000[/snapback]
[/quote]

Never knew I did, till I tried to put a cup in one. <_<
Old 03-24-2005 | 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

i guess im easy to please, i love my car .the only issue is the paintjob.
i think the paint could've been much more durable maybe xtra coats of clearcoat...like 4-5.
Old 03-24-2005 | 07:31 AM
Members

Agree with many that "hate" might be toostrong, but some definite "to improve" list includes:

1) Cupholders (yeah, what's new)
2) I-drive warning screen. How about at least having it deactivating all by itself after 30-60 seconds?
3) Fit and finish on my 2004 not quite up to BMW traditional standards. A little better quality materials and labor would be nice.
4) More storage spaces, or at least large space for existing areas.
Old 03-24-2005 | 07:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomad' date='Mar 24 2005, 10:45 AM
Cup Holders - Never been used properly even once - I cannot accept the risk of the kind of spill those pieces of nonsense will induce - even at standstill!!
It's funny, as much as we complain about them I have never had anything near a spill, primarily because the only thing I ever transport in them is my morning coffee in a travel cup and I do not drink in the car. I drink it at work. Perhaps the attitude at BMW is: "Look, you should be driving not drinking. We'll give you something to transport your closed stuff around in but that's it".
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Mar 24 2005, 10:32 AM
[quote name='nomad' date='Mar 24 2005, 10:45 AM']Cup Holders - Never been used properly even once - I cannot accept the risk of the kind of spill those pieces of nonsense will induce - even at standstill!!
It's funny, as much as we complain about them I have never had anything near a spill, primarily because the only thing I ever transport in them is my morning coffee in a travel cup and I do not drink in the car. I drink it at work. Perhaps the attitude at BMW is: "Look, you should be driving not drinking. We'll give you something to transport your closed stuff around in but that's it".
[snapback]106016[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have actually had a couple of cases where, when a drink gets pretty close to empty, it spontaneously jumps out of the holder and onto the floor, as though it was possessed or very, very unhappy.

So,

1. Cupholders
2. Buggy software - I never imagined needing to track software development schedules for my car.
3. Now that we have all of this nifty software, give us an advanced user mode to make more choices in it. (Not a gripe, just a natural request. If we're using iDrive, which I personally like, give us the full set of features)
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

-I would have to give it to the CHEAP interior plastics everywhere!
The wood trim around the vents looks like stickers that were placed unevenly.
-Not enough storage space.
-The turn signal tickers are too soft in sound, and cut out too early in the a turn (small little anoyance).
-The standard seats are "standard useless", break my neck in a rear-ender. A lazy boy recliner has more shoulder and neck support!
-Ongoing door sweaks (and YES, I have tried the carbaflo solution, only a temporary fix for a couple months).
-Its not the most inviting car to enter in, especially with this computer screen staring at you... very intimidating for passengers, and I hate having to explain it all over and over again!...

I am only comparing coming out of a 2001 E39 530i, all these things are missing in the E60 compared to the previous model... im selling and getting into an E60 M5 in a couple of years though...

But the E60 is unmatched when it comes to its handling!

cheers
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545 silver / black

I happen to really love this car, but I will offer my constructive criticism in case anyone from BMW reads this.

I too have a problem with not being able to get my left leg comfortable against the wood door handle.

I keep the steering wheel low and in and as a result I cannot see the blinker signals without moving my head to see around the steering wheel. The blinker lights really should be in the middle.

Cupholders, cupholders, cupholders

Assorted and random noises the car makes from the time I unlock it until I get in and get it started.
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

The cupholders are the most mentioned annoyance.

If a car like this has to live with only one major minor point like cupholders, BMW can be proud of their product!

I'd mention:

Very poor paint quality, scratches easy
Old 03-24-2005 | 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 24 2005, 09:48 AM
[quote name='nomad' date='Mar 24 2005, 10:45 AM']Never knew bad cupholder design would be so grating. <_<
[snapback]106000[/snapback]
[/quote]

Except probably for ISUK and even he complained about the line aesthetics rather than functionality
Anyway I find it strange that US authorities caring about safety refuse the cubby hole in the dash to the left from the steering wheel and allow to have cupholders

Quick Reply: what do u hate about your 5