E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what do like least about your E60?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vinman

Wouldnt the hole left by the ashtray have the same amount of storage as when the ashtray was there, but minus useful power socket?

Not all of us have specced up cars - bluetooth isnt standard on my car, or I think any E60 to UK spec.

The amount of calls I make in a car would equate to about $20 a call over the 4 years im gonna have it if i specified that option

cheers
Old 12-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='368639' date='Dec 18 2006, 01:31 PM
The less discerning audiophile may be swayed by the convenience of only having to swap a single disc to go an entirely different set of seven albums.

I've heard that people even buy iPod adapters!

ABC
And what a hassle that was

If it were ?300 for a DVD, which would hold 60+ albums, that would be persuasive.

I was after a solution that would prevent me keeping lots of CDs in my car - which the iPod does. Seven albums on a CD would have been a poor solution.

cheers

steve
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='368654' date='Dec 18 2006, 02:20 PM
If it were ?300 for a DVD, which would hold 60+ albums, that would be persuasive.

I was after a solution that would prevent me keeping lots of CDs in my car - which the iPod does. Seven albums on a CD would have been a poor solution.
Well of course hidden into the ????? of DVD Nav you can play MP3 DVD which holds about 40 albums.

I think I was talking about CD MP3 as a more convenient replacement for the CD changer... but I forget now.

As for seven albums on a CD, it's down to attention span and number of breaks on a journey. I find that one CD with 7 albums can serve me for weeks. Oh... and I have the changer too.... ready for the skip.

ABC
Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Not a lot to hate but some annoying things in a car that costs serious money

? Limited storage i.e. small / shallow door pockets and no central cabin storage
? Unbelievably Slow IDrive response
? Poor vision obstructed by the A and B posts
? Poor auto box changes (very notchy)
? Run Flat ride (can?t wait to change them but oodles of tread left)
? Annoying load cover automatic retraction
? Non illuminated column stalks (wipers etc)

Better stop now starting to think why I bought it, ah yes , because it drives and goes so nicely and looks the dogs B?s.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='368653' date='Dec 18 2006, 06:18 AM
Hi Vinman

Wouldnt the hole left by the ashtray have the same amount of storage as when the ashtray was there, but minus useful power socket?

Not all of us have specced up cars - bluetooth isnt standard on my car, or I think any E60 to UK spec.

The amount of calls I make in a car would equate to about $20 a call over the 4 years im gonna have it if i specified that option
cheers
Steve, I would like a spot on the console that would hold a few items-glasses, billfold-passport case-calculator. I work out of my car from time to time-eliminating the ashtray would make room for a cupholder. The power socket could stay where it is roughly.
Sorry mate I thought Bluetooth was standard, I would use the center console storage but it has a stupid hinged coffin in it for a phone cradle. The e60 dynamically is a great car. The interior is not very practical IMHO cheers Vinman.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, jet black/black dakota, sport package, steptronic, L7, comfort access, rear sunshade, front heated seats, navigation, satellite radio also have 2006 Dodge Sprinter

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='368592' date='Dec 18 2006, 12:41 AM
Keep the button held longer.

ABC
thanks abc, i'll give it a shot.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='367939' date='Dec 15 2006, 03:09 PM
One feature that bothers me is the fact that the car cannot be programmed to unlock the doors when shifted into park. You can program it to lock the doors above a certain speed but cannot (at least I haven't been able to) program it to unlock when parked. You have to pull the door handle twice to open the door.

Not a big deal, but I would like to have the option.
I think that may be considered unsafe, because you don't necessarily want all doors unlocking whenever the car stops, depending on where you are.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='368653' date='Dec 18 2006, 02:18 PM

cheers
It's sometimes arithmetically challenging to apply usage ratios to options designed for convenience or safety.

For example the ?80 space saver wheel you specified may end up costing you "infinity" pounds per use if you use it zero times over the four year period which, with run flats, will be the case. And I hope, if you change to conventional radials, remains the case.

ABC
Old 12-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='368819' date='Dec 18 2006, 09:40 PM
It's sometimes arithmetically challenging to apply usage ratios to options designed for convenience or safety.

For example the ?80 space saver wheel you specified may end up costing you "infinity" pounds per use if you use it zero times over the four year period which, with run flats, will be the case. And I hope, if you change to conventional radials, remains the case.

ABC
My hope is the same - but in this case the spare was pure economics. Only a nutcase would change from runflats without the spare on my journey (50 miles across unbuilt up countryside) - so the spare was kinda essential.

120k miles for the car = 30k miles a year, approx 5 tyres a year = 20 tyres.

cost of a runflat = 170

cost of a std tyre = 110

saving per tyre = 60

x 20 tyres = 1200

minus cost of spare 1200 - 75 = ?1125. (approx $2000) total saving.

thats a pretty convincing argument over the lifetime of the car (4 months free diesel in effect). The risk of buying a ?75 spare im (hopefully) never gonna use seems small in comparison.

Im not one of the people you described in an earlier post who prefer comfort and convenience over cost - I dont have that luxury.

Bluetooth = approx ?500 option, I get say a call every two months when driving, thats 6 calls a year, x 4 = 24 calls. Approx ?20 or near $40 a call.

Not convincing. Im not a salesman who receives calls that must be answered NOW - I can wait to the next stopping place.

Cosings - Im an engineer - perhaps it shows

Others may have different decisions behind which options they do or do not take - in those two instances, those were my rationale.

cheers

steve
Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i

I hate the high speed handling. Thought that it would handle better than it does on the Autobahn. handles good for a sedan at speeds under 100mph.

Quick Reply: what do like least about your E60?