E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what is the best way to lay down some rubber

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I have an automatic 550. I just turned off the DSC and held the brakes, gave her gas and help on - lol. Laid down about 20 feet before stepping of the gas. Would it be easier to place the car in neutral, give it gas and tap the brake to allow me to pop it in drive? I'm trying to learn a safe way to accomplish this without damaging my car. Also, I'd like to make an impression on some punks next time they try me at a stop light. I'm sure this is much easier in a manual
Old 09-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

go buy a camaro
Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='1017729' date='Sep 26 2009, 02:31 PM
go buy a camaro

Or a mini-van:

Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by KREED_550i' post='1017724' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:23 PM
I have an automatic 550. I just turned off the DSC and held the brakes, gave her gas and help on - lol. Laid down about 20 feet before stepping of the gas. Would it be easier to place the car in neutral, give it gas and tap the brake to allow me to pop it in drive? I'm trying to learn a safe way to accomplish this without damaging my car. Also, I'd like to make an impression on some punks next time they try me at a stop light. I'm sure this is much easier in a manual
Launching an automatic is extremely bad for the transmission. You can get away with it in a manual where you can drop the clutch, but automatics aren't that robust.

When I do launch my car, this is what I do... left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas...full gas. The engine will not rev past I think 3000 or 2500.... can't remember. Just let the brake loose and away you go.

The thing with revving in neutral doesn't work because when you then engage D, the car wont even engage drive till the RPM's drop and when it does engage, your in 2nd gear and get a horrible start.

So left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas. Give it full gas and release the brake. This will also greatly improve your starting time because your not wasting time with taking your right foot off the brake and then pressing the gas. I beat an IS-F with this strategy because the idiot in the Lexus didn't know how to launch his car and I got a really good start off the light. While he was switching feet, I was already off the line. He also has 4 other people in the car but whatever, I can say that I beat an IS-F with a car than does mid to low 5's
Old 09-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Thanks, but no thanks I couldn't be more happy right now. Just thought I'd have some safe fun.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributors

An IS-F, I was about to say - I heard those thinks were wicked fast!!!! I just I could slide the car in first gear and try it once. Not going to make a habit out of this, but it's good to know how to do it. At least the rubber I laid today was straight and not all over the place and going sideways; I guess that has something to do with the suspension.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by KREED_550i' post='1017741' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:39 PM
An IS-F, I was about to say - I heard those thinks were wicked fast!!!! I just I could slide the car in first gear and try it once. Not going to make a habit out of this, but it's good to know how to do it. At least the rubber I laid today was straight and not all over the place and going sideways; I guess that has something to do with the suspension.

Hahaha yea, it really was a perfect launch, I couldn't believe it myself

Try it a couple times! It's fun
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributors

I also wanted to thank you guys for being such a class act. I've really learned a lot from all of you. I'm always talking to my friends about what I learned and what I want to do next based on this forum. My friend's always ask me haven't I put enough money into my car - I say "Hell No" As long as I do little by little and I can afford it - WHY NOT!!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1017732' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:34 PM
Launching an automatic is extremely bad for the transmission. You can get away with it in a manual where you can drop the clutch, but automatics aren't that robust.

When I do launch my car, this is what I do... left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas...full gas. The engine will not rev past I think 3000 or 2500.... can't remember. Just let the brake loose and away you go.

The thing with revving in neutral doesn't work because when you then engage D, the car wont even engage drive till the RPM's drop and when it does engage, your in 2nd gear and get a horrible start.

So left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas. Give it full gas and release the brake. This will also greatly improve your starting time because your not wasting time with taking your right foot off the brake and then pressing the gas. I beat an IS-F with this strategy because the idiot in the Lexus didn't know how to launch his car and I got a really good start off the light. While he was switching feet, I was already off the line. He also has 4 other people in the car but whatever, I can say that I beat an IS-F with a car than does mid to low 5's
I agree with most of your launch technique. In addition to what you said, I start in M1 -- not D -- and I turn off the air condition and I disable DSC all the way but holding the button down for several seconds.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1017732' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:34 PM

Did you turn off DSC?

Quick Reply: what is the best way to lay down some rubber