E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As i was cruising on the highway last night my car was driving perfectly fine until all of a sudden 3 lights popped up, DBC malfunction, Drive control system failure, start-off assistance inactive and the RPMS kept jumping 500 up and down. I took the first exit and shut off the car and waited for about 10 minutes, turned it back on and they were gone except the 'service engine soon' light came on and it was still on until this afternoon and it disappeared again. This same thing happened to me about a month ago but i didn't pay attention since the lights went away after i turned off the car but now is worrying me. Anyone had a similar problem? Do you guys think it could just be the battery, or any sensors? The car is a 2007 550i SMG with 73,--- miles. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Weird warning lights-img-20110809-00022.jpg   Weird warning lights-img-20110809-00021.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

During the winter I had similar problems. My dynamic drive control system, active steering system and radio would all cut out and I'd get system failures while on the fwy.

Those problems were attributed to the battery or the alternator but i had both tested and they checked out just fine. Now the issue still persists but only pops up every once and again. I just live with it since no one (including the dealer) knows what the issue is.

But now I have the engine sputtering issues too...but I think those are due to the O2 sensors (fingers crossed). First things first, get the error code read for that CEL and that might help determine ur problem...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

I had the same issue. Local BMW mechanic assured me I had a problem with the battery. Turned out that the positive battery terminal came loose and was registering as battery drainage. Tightened it back up and all was fine. I was also told to charge the battery and see if that helps. Good luck
Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
During the winter I had similar problems. My dynamic drive control system, active steering system and radio would all cut out and I'd get system failures while on the fwy.

Those problems were attributed to the battery or the alternator but i had both tested and they checked out just fine. Now the issue still persists but only pops up every once and again. I just live with it since no one (including the dealer) knows what the issue is.

But now I have the engine sputtering issues too...but I think those are due to the O2 sensors (fingers crossed). First things first, get the error code read for that CEL and that might help determine ur problem...

I did go to a couple of shops who specialize in European cars but no one was able to get a fault code after the service engine light went off. And you know whats funny my engine sputters at iddle as well, and sometimes the car wont even start until i keep pressing the push start button for about 5 to 20 times
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by epilithic
I had the same issue. Local BMW mechanic assured me I had a problem with the battery. Turned out that the positive battery terminal came loose and was registering as battery drainage. Tightened it back up and all was fine. I was also told to charge the battery and see if that helps. Good luck
Thanks for the tip, i will definitely try that tomorrow
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 black 530i

That might be the battery problems. I replaced the battery last week and after register the battery, the drive control system and start-off assistance inactive pop up.
And the car drive with heavy powersteering. So I bring the car to dealer, and they reprogram the battery for me, and the code just got off.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

All good suggestions above and could simply be a battery issue... but are you sure you havent taken on any water in the trunk or passenger compartment? The sensors and modules in these two areas are sensitive and these are some of the errors I got when my storm drains clogged and saturated the floor of the interior passenger compartment.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Members

I received these lights once again but thanks god it was daytime and went straight to Motorcepts to read the errors and found out it was the crank sensor, i replaced it and everything seemed to work fine for 4 days. Until last night the nightmare returned, as i was driving the car just made this weird noise and the rpms started jumping up and down while driving or stoped. I parked and shut the car off, waited 15 mins and tried to start it back but it wouldn't, everything turned on in the car like the lights, idrive etc.. but when i pushed the start button it would make a quite cranking noise and the engine wouldn't start.. after taking the key fob out and back in, and pressing the push start button it finally worked after the 15th try.

I have taken it to many mechanics but they have no clue and think it's weird because every time i go there the car goes back to normal. Can someone please helpppp cause its driving me crazy

Also here is a video i caught last night of the rpms jumping up and down

View My Video
Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

can't see the video...