E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restraint Systems Faulty! Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Lately i have been having lots of problems with my car!!!
It started on the 23rd april, When there was a "Restraint systems" warning on the i-Drive screen. It read:-

"Restraint systems Faulty - Function of Airbags, Belt tensioners and belt force limiters faulty. Ensure yout seat belt is fastened despite the fault! Ensure you contact your nearest BMW service dealer."

Then a few minutes later two more faults came up on the screen: 1) Drivers airbags faulty and 2) Front passenger airbags faulty.

The car was booked in.

Before it went in, another warning came-up on the LCD screen: "Drive controls Fail, DRIVE MODERATELY!". It was then found that the windows wouldn't work, the horn failed to function and the central locking was dodgy (sometimes it locked only the rear two doors, sometimes left open the driver door only and sometimes left open only the front passenger) Then the car went in on wed 28 april for software update to V11.1 (quoted by tech guy). The next day it was rudely returned to me with the faults still present!!! The next day the car was taken in again.

On thurs 6th may, the car was returned to me, with no apparent faults. hooray!!

But this isn't the end of the story. In the morning of today (7th may), the seatbelt warning light came on to say on the I-Drive "Fasten Front Passenger Seat Belt". After restarting the car this fault disappeared. thank god.

Then when driving in the afternoon, the seatbelt warning light on the dash started to flash, and then it was on permanently. After this all the original faults mentioned above came back to haunt me.

No horn, windows, c.Locking, + the 3 other faults: Restraint systems Faulty, Drivers airbags faulty, and passenger airbags faulty.

HEELLLLPPP!! Does anyone know what in this world i should do next?

Cheers

from Kiran
Old 05-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Members

BTW i'm in London, UK.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Take the car back, inform them you will have their demonstrator 645i and won't bring it back til they fix your car!

well you could try

but seriously, ask to speak with BMW bracknell if they cannot sort it, clearly the gremlins are residing in your electronics....exorcising them can be a real pain!.....you could always switch dealers, I'd imagine there were quite a few unlike here in scotland.

good luck
Old 05-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributors

well i guess you got the "bad" car. Tell the dealer to fix it right away. Try to use your "anger" a little bit to them so they get seriously with your car.

its mechanic you know, sometimes we got the bad thing. not only BMW, mercedes also did that to me 5 years ago. all the windows and "little" mechanic things didnt work well.

Be patient..you will get through it.

please post the development.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Agreed. Take it back right away and mention that BMW may be buying it back when your lawyer calls. I'd seriously push for a good loaner (330i or 7 series -- I doubt a 6 is available). I'd speak to the General Manager of the entire dealership and mention that you will escalate this issue with BMW if it's not fixed right away.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

When you take it back, make sure that checkout the ECU that detects the seat belt buckle, and send information to the Airbag controller. It sounds like bad information is being sent to central computer, or the central computer itself is bad, or you have a faulty seat belt switch.

Good Luck, keep us posted!
Old 05-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Members

After taking it to the dealer today and having some words with the General Manager. He has "promised" to fix it by sending it to a regional BMW repairee shoppee, where "Dennis" who is a "award-winning" technical guy, will solve the problem if anyone can. Otherwise, they were talking about a bad crimp in some wires or something or other and will if "dennis" 's effort fails replace the whole wiring loom!!
Old 05-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

What service center you using? I had a similar "gremlin" on a 330i that was down to a wiring termination issue... Regional service cracked the issue in 2 days flat... This was via Park West BMW (now Chiswick BMW)
Old 05-08-2004, 05:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NickP' date='May 8 2004, 02:00 AM
What service center you using? I had a similar "gremlin" on a 330i that was down to a wiring termination issue... Regional service cracked the issue in 2 days flat... This was via Park West BMW (now Chiswick BMW)
I'm using Scothall in Stanmore (north london), they'll said they'll send it off to the Regional centre.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Did they give you a 3 loaner?

Quick Reply: Restraint Systems Faulty! Help.