E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird issue with my 545i

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i MANUAL carbon Black (for now)...

Ok so a few weeks ago I was in traffic and my screen just started blinking and then all these alerts started popping up, the music starting cutting out. I was seeing every alert from power steering malfunction to the abs error. Then the power steering shut off along with the screen and the radio. The car didn't shut off, I'm guessing because I drive a stick. I figured I'd try to turn it off then back on again. It turned off but would not turn back on. I had to call someone to give me a jump.

I take it in to the dealership and they say there was a short in the idrive system. So i get the car back and the same thing happens in 2 days!! So I bring it back and they said the shortage had drained the battery, so they replaced it for me. A week later the same thing happens again, but this time the car shut down (not off) for about 10 seconds, I couldn't gas it, and then it started jerking and it came back on>>>WTF?! I told BMW I thought it was the alternator everytime I brought it there, but they keep telling me it isn't. What else can turn the power off and on like that while I'm driving?

Please help!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

You would definitely get some weird stuff going on if the battery got drained. If everything was fine with the new battery then it's either you have a power drain somewhere or you have an alternator problem. If they claim its not the alternator then could be a short or your leaving your lights (angel eyes) on...I know, I've done that before!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i MANUAL carbon Black (for now)...

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='717975' date='Nov 11 2008, 09:17 AM
You would definitely get some weird stuff going on if the battery got drained. If everything was fine with the new battery then it's either you have a power drain somewhere or you have an alternator problem. If they claim its not the alternator then could be a short or your leaving your lights (angel eyes) on...I know, I've done that before!
I always make sure my lights are off, and when they gave me the new battery the car was fine for about 2 weeks, but that's when it shut off then came back on while I was driving. Car has a mind of its own...
Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceberg3x' post='717969' date='Nov 11 2008, 10:07 AM
Ok so a few weeks ago I was in traffic and my screen just started blinking and then all these alerts started popping up, the music starting cutting out. I was seeing every alert from power steering malfunction to the abs error. Then the power steering shut off along with the screen and the radio. The car didn't shut off, I'm guessing because I drive a stick. I figured I'd try to turn it off then back on again. It turned off but would not turn back on. I had to call someone to give me a jump.

I take it in to the dealership and they say there was a short in the idrive system. So i get the car back and the same thing happens in 2 days!! So I bring it back and they said the shortage had drained the battery, so they replaced it for me. A week later the same thing happens again, but this time the car shut down (not off) for about 10 seconds, I couldn't gas it, and then it started jerking and it came back on>>>WTF?! I told BMW I thought it was the alternator everytime I brought it there, but they keep telling me it isn't. What else can turn the power off and on like that while I'm driving?

Please help!!!
Had the same problem on my 2005 545. it was the alternator and then they had to reprogram the car. all working great with almost 30,000 miles on it.
good luck