E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This week on E60 Adventures...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 E60 525i 6speed 101k miles bought @ 60k miles 2 years ago(named Ludwig von Bimmershwartz of Bavaria... or Ludy for short)

This week I will:
-Replace the spark plugs with NGKs. (There's a great DIY write up i'll be following on this site)
-Ignition Coils (Bav Auto)
-Replace front and rear Moulding/weather striping (purchased from ECS tuning and there's a good DIY write up on it somewhere that I saw)
-SEAFOAM! (unless you all tell me not to do it. I've seen folks mention that it works great on the E60 when done right.)

Things I have done:
-Changed from halogen to HIDs... it was a nightmare. The voltage isn't stable and you can tell because the headlights flicker slightly and the hazard symbol inside the car flickers too. Did this about a year ago. (any advice to correct voltage other than a revert?)
-Replaced Microfilters
-Replaced Oil several times
-Had the whole car repainted (wife rear ended someone just broke grills. Insurance company gave us like $2k, cost to paint the whole car was $1,200 and the painter threw in the grills lol)
-Installed iPod connection to iDrive
-Replaced all discs, and pads + drained break fluids.

Couple of problems I've noticed:
-Sometimes when I put it in first and take off the engine gets erratic. I take it out of first let the clutch out and it just spazzes out for a couple seconds like it is going to die. I give it a couple of revs and it corrects the problem. It's happend about 3 times and it has been about 6 months since the last time it did it. Also, about twice a week i notice the shifts are a little jerky, as if there is a hesitation in throttle response (think i need to mess with TPS or MAF?)
-I broke the damn cup holder one drunken night on the passenger side. I see that it is about $90 online... anyone found em cheaper?

Questions:
-Any other things i should be looking into since my car has hit the 100k mark?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juiceman456
2005 E60 525i 6speed 101k miles bought @ 60k miles 2 years ago(named Ludwig von Bimmershwartz of Bavaria... or Ludy for short)

This week I will:
-Replace the spark plugs with NGKs. (There's a great DIY write up i'll be following on this site)
-Ignition Coils (Bav Auto)
-Replace front and rear Moulding/weather striping (purchased from ECS tuning and there's a good DIY write up on it somewhere that I saw)
-SEAFOAM! (unless you all tell me not to do it. I've seen folks mention that it works great on the E60 when done right.)

Things I have done:
-Changed from halogen to HIDs... it was a nightmare. The voltage isn't stable and you can tell because the headlights flicker slightly and the hazard symbol inside the car flickers too. Did this about a year ago. (any advice to correct voltage other than a revert?)
-Replaced Microfilters
-Replaced Oil several times
-Had the whole car repainted (wife rear ended someone just broke grills. Insurance company gave us like $2k, cost to paint the whole car was $1,200 and the painter threw in the grills lol)
-Installed iPod connection to iDrive
-Replaced all discs, and pads + drained break fluids.

Couple of problems I've noticed:
-Sometimes when I put it in first and take off the engine gets erratic. I take it out of first let the clutch out and it just spazzes out for a couple seconds like it is going to die. I give it a couple of revs and it corrects the problem. It's happend about 3 times and it has been about 6 months since the last time it did it. Also, about twice a week i notice the shifts are a little jerky, as if there is a hesitation in throttle response (think i need to mess with TPS or MAF?)
-I broke the damn cup holder one drunken night on the passenger side. I see that it is about $90 online... anyone found em cheaper?

Questions:
-Any other things i should be looking into since my car has hit the 100k mark?

1) In regards to doing the plugs. When your at the point of finishing removal of the plastic pieces and about to start taking the cables out, take some MAF Cleaner or Carb Cleaner and spray all around the working area and use towels to wipe dry if it doesn't dissipate . Doing this will ensure dirt doesn't get into your engine. Then go ahead and lift the cables out and do the plugs. Also the last cylinder is akward with those huge bound of wires use 2 hands and apply gental upwards pulling, mine was a little tight so I used a tad of grease on the seal section on reassembly

2) Diff Service