E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leaking into car

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Hello all. Once again, I find myself in need of the great info offered here. I turn this morning to look out my rear window and what do i see ...much to my dismay I have water stains on my headliner on both sides by the c pillars. I know this was discussed before by other members and there was mention of some sort of drain clog. Yes, I did do the search but was unable to find anything. I would really appreciate your help, either by posting a link to the others topics or by offering some advice. Also, the car is out of orig warranty but is CPO...is this covered under the cpo, ie to get a new roofliner? If not, how do we clean the liner without making the stains worse(it its beige) .

Thanks in advance
Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I had a similar problem during the CPO warranty period on my M3 with a foot of water in one of my rear seat foot wells and it wasn't covered at all Problem was a clogged drain.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Members

sounds like the sunroof drains are clogged. open the sunroof and at the front corners of the sunroof on the body you should see 2 holes-1 on each side. pour a little water near each hole and note whether it backs up or drains out behind each front tire. if it is clogged try taking a little mechanics wire to snake it out. do not use compressed air as you can blow the drain hoses off their fittings.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
sounds like the sunroof drains are clogged. open the sunroof and at the front corners of the sunroof on the body you should see 2 holes-1 on each side. pour a little water near each hole and note whether it backs up or drains out behind each front tire. if it is clogged try taking a little mechanics wire to snake it out. do not use compressed air as you can blow the drain hoses off their fittings.

thanks for the quick reply. I just checked and they are both open. Anyone with any others suggestions?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Members

I assume when you say they are both open that water is draining out? Has the rear windshield been replaced? could be an improper seal at the rear windshield. Also could be the sunroof seal. I have seen them start leaking after they have deteriorated. May also just need a sunroof adjustement. Does the sunroof glass sit fairly flush with the roofline?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
I assume when you say they are both open that water is draining out? Has the rear windshield been replaced? could be an improper seal at the rear windshield. Also could be the sunroof seal. I have seen them start leaking after they have deteriorated. May also just need a sunroof adjustement. Does the sunroof glass sit fairly flush with the roofline?
Yes, both drained immediately. Everything original on the car so no trim has ever been disrupted. We had heavy rains here recently, so this is the likely source. just not sure from where. Possibly sunroof as you pointed out. Thx for the input. Ill have to see if this is covered.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

well you need to air blow the drain plug under the headliner of rear seat to see if it flows fine... and cut the flap on the rear of it... bmw dealer can do that...

did you tilt your sunroof when it was raining? this can cause the problem as well..

also it might be a good idea to change the rubber seal around the sunroof because that might be worn or going bad which can cause water leak...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Also it could be the seal it self on the sun roof... They tend to be problematic on the wagons...

So if the seal is bad and the drains are clogged your electronics int he rear of the car could be in for some trouble.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550I Sport, Jet Black w/Tan Interior: Comfort Access, Premium Package, Nav, Sirius Radio, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by monsterj34
well you need to air blow the drain plug under the headliner of rear seat to see if it flows fine... and cut the flap on the rear of it... bmw dealer can do that...

did you tilt your sunroof when it was raining? this can cause the problem as well..

also it might be a good idea to change the rubber seal around the sunroof because that might be worn or going bad which can cause water leak...
I once had some minor staining because I tilted the sunroof during heavy rain, used an aerosol "turtle wax" carpet cleaner and a hand vacume to completely eliminate the marks.