E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550I Sport -auto trans shifting points- can they be modified?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550i-Sport

Is anyone unhappy with how your 550 shifts in the auto modes?? Ive owned my 550 for about 2 years- bought it used- I love just about everything about this car but one of my primary complaints about the driveability of the automatic are the shifting points they have programmed in the ECM, they simply suck. I'm wishing I had bought a 6speed manual.

In D mode it shifts way too early and lugs the motor, in DS mode the shifts are held way too long. Specifically, my issue is with 3rd gear in DS mode- when accelerating hard the engine runs up to about 6000 + rpm before it up shifts- and there is no way to prompt it to shift any sooner( with going to M mode). In most every other auto transmission performance car Ive driven, when accelerating if you want to prompt the upshift, a quick let up the gas pedal after hard accel. will execute the upshift, where in this car it holds the gear and engine brakes if you left off the gas- its lots of unnecessary wear and tear on the engine and tranny.

Usable torque for acceleration diminishes as the rpm's approach 4500 -5000rpm( more or less) and holding a shift to 6000+ rpm does nothing but wind up the motor- sure its still building a little HP but the torque drops off so quickly and acceleration forward is compromised requiring an up shift to keep increasing speed- so whats the deal? I get lazy sometimes- Am I destined to drive in M mode forever?

Ive discussed this with the service advisor, Ive had the software updated recently, but there were no changes in driveability- is this an inherent quality of the BMW V8 Autotrans that I have live with?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Members

I share your disappointment and frustration. Shift points often happen during spirited driving while entering or exiting a turn. This causes dangerous weighting issues. I think its ridiculous BMW considers this acceptable. The manual shifting isn't any better.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

Dinan software changes the shift points, I have stage 1 and think the shift points are great in my 545i, especially in sport mode. It really holds the gears in spirited driving.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by gill964
I share your disappointment and frustration. Shift points often happen during spirited driving while entering or exiting a turn. This causes dangerous weighting issues. I think its ridiculous BMW considers this acceptable. The manual shifting isn't any better.

it should hold its gear in DS mode...

Wonder if the new sports tranny is better
Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I seldom use DS mode. I agree the shift points are just too high for most driving.

I frequently use manual mode. I can pick my own shift points and never have a problem. You didn't say whether you have the sport auto and paddles. I find it to be an excellent transmission.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
I seldom use DS mode. I agree the shift points are just too high for most driving.

I frequently use manual mode. I can pick my own shift points and never have a problem. You didn't say whether you have the sport auto and paddles. I find it to be an excellent transmission.

same here. I use manual when i need to play (and it really responds like a true manual), , , DS is too high so most of time when "cruising" Iam just in the slow D mode...which sucks...but it forces me to relax ...lol
Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rolly888
(and it really responds like a true manual)
kidding right? The auto shfts so slow and it still has that spongy lag feel...

Oh wait or do you have the new sport tranny?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

I hate the steptronic from the ground up and should have opted for a manual. These cars are meant to be driven with a manual transmission. They are actually hard to come by around here. They (steptronic) are so damn popular here in the US. I live with the mediocrity. My 03 330i performance pkg with short throw 6 speed was the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Members

i have an 06 550i and i love the tranny, I have no complaints about DS it hold the gear like a manual and if 6000RPM is to high sift it yourself. I've had friends ride in my car and they will agree and tranny sifts quiker then anyone can in a manual. BTW I'm stock and if i really get into it i can spin my tires when going into second gear in DS mode on a cool day.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1buck
Is anyone unhappy with how your 550 shifts in the auto modes?? Ive owned my 550 for about 2 years- bought it used- I love just about everything about this car but one of my primary complaints about the driveability of the automatic are the shifting points they have programmed in the ECM, they simply suck. I'm wishing I had bought a 6speed manual.

In D mode it shifts way too early and lugs the motor, in DS mode the shifts are held way too long. Specifically, my issue is with 3rd gear in DS mode- when accelerating hard the engine runs up to about 6000 + rpm before it up shifts- and there is no way to prompt it to shift any sooner( with going to M mode). In most every other auto transmission performance car Ive driven, when accelerating if you want to prompt the upshift, a quick let up the gas pedal after hard accel. will execute the upshift, where in this car it holds the gear and engine brakes if you left off the gas- its lots of unnecessary wear and tear on the engine and tranny.

Usable torque for acceleration diminishes as the rpm's approach 4500 -5000rpm( more or less) and holding a shift to 6000+ rpm does nothing but wind up the motor- sure its still building a little HP but the torque drops off so quickly and acceleration forward is compromised requiring an up shift to keep increasing speed- so whats the deal? I get lazy sometimes- Am I destined to drive in M mode forever?

Ive discussed this with the service advisor, Ive had the software updated recently, but there were no changes in driveability- is this an inherent quality of the BMW V8 Autotrans that I have live with?
I always have to drive in DS because normal drive is so damn frustrating and sluggish. P.S. - You all love trannys.