E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetronic issues on my 545i

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got 2 faults for the valvetronic which were:

Valvetronic high voltage, shortage to ground.

I recently replaced both valvetronic lift motors and both valvetronic sensors my battery is new and my alternator is a year old. I also recently replaced my DME and MPM. My Indy told me there is an SIB for a retrofit of some ground wires for the 2 valvetronic lift motors. I'm hoping maybe someone with more knowledge than me can shed some light on this problem and maybe other fixes. At this point I'm about ready to take a dreaded visit to the stealer. Any input would be appreciated
Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

are you referring to the servo motors on the top of the intakes? if that's them, just follow their connector and look at the ground. doesn't sound like a backbreaker.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545felix
are you referring to the servo motors on the top of the intakes? if that's them, just follow their connector and look at the ground. doesn't sound like a backbreaker.
Yes those, is it possible that when they installed maybe it wasn't grounded secure enough?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Update, I got around to checking the only wires that run from the 2 valvetronic motors and everything seemed fine. I'm really at a loss my next step is the stealer
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Very carefully check the pin connections on the computer modules. Its very easy to bend them. A simple swap shouldn't have been problematic, at least as voltages are concerned. Pay particular attention to the Integrated Supply Module (the black box with the exposed fuses). Check the fuses! When you attempt to reset adaptation values, do you hear them cycle at all?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Very carefully check the pin connections on the computer modules. Its very easy to bend them. A simple swap shouldn't have been problematic, at least as voltages are concerned. Pay particular attention to the Integrated Supply Module (the black box with the exposed fuses). Check the fuses! When you attempt to reset adaptation values, do you hear them cycle at all?
The intergrated supply module was changed as well could you direct me to where it's located so I can check the fuses. Also how would I myself attempt to reset the adaption values? How do I know if this was done? What if it wasn't would that throw the codes as well?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
The intergrated supply module was changed as well could you direct me to where it's located so I can check the fuses. Also how would I myself attempt to reset the adaption values? How do I know if this was done? What if it wasn't would that throw the codes as well?
If the fuse or pin connector on the ISM that relates to the Valvetronic motor control is blown or bent, you'll get the error you are experiencing. IF you have INPA, you can reset adaptation values from there. I think you can do it within DIS as well. If you aren't sure what I am talking about, try to find someone in your area who performs car coding, if possible. If not, start in the beginners lounge on this site--->BMW Coding

ISM Location: ISM
Pinout/Fuses: Connector Pinouts

Pin assignments on X60093 and X60095 are your areas of focus. "Variable Valve Timing Gear Control Unit".
Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
If the fuse or pin connector on the ISM that relates to the Valvetronic motor control is blown or bent, you'll get the error you are experiencing. IF you have INPA, you can reset adaptation values from there. I think you can do it within DIS as well. If you aren't sure what I am talking about, try to find someone in your area who performs car coding, if possible. If not, start in the beginners lounge on this site--->BMW Coding

ISM Location: ISM
Pinout/Fuses: Connector Pinouts

Pin assignments on X60093 and X60095 are your areas of focus. "Variable Valve Timing Gear Control Unit".
Thanks for the reply, it's a place to start i'll def give it a try. One more thing I mentioned the ISM was changed when it's changed do you know if it comes with new fuses or do they use the old ones?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Thanks for the reply, it's a place to start i'll def give it a try. One more thing I mentioned the ISM was changed when it's changed do you know if it comes with new fuses or do they use the old ones?
No need to replace the fuses if they're not blown. A fuse is a fuse. If the adaption values were not reset after the replacement then you're going to get some errors. Adaption values should always be reset and both error and info memory needs to be deleted