E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

V8 coolant pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Take a look here---> The Bimmer Pipe
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Take a look here---> The Bimmer Pipe
This is how they repaired mine!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by Margal
As I see from this post DIY - Coolant pipe tools & procedure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums the pipe can be installed without removing engine and cylinder head
Just removing bumper cover and radiator as well as lower timing case cover. The only thing I am concerned now is how difficult it gonna be to remove the crankshaft hub and install the new seal without messing the timing. And when is the camshaft adjustment needed? I see there are special tools for adjusting the camshaft and some instructions but I am simply not comfortable to do it.
You have to remove the harmonic balancer/ vibration dampener to remove the lower timing cover. Its part of the belt drive. Your not removing the timing chain. No need to set timing.

1 in the picture.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

URO pipe has extra sealings and there in no threads to tighten it. The design does not look quite relable to me as compared to AGA pipe. The reason I want to go with OEM pipe exept the cost is that I will have chance to replace lower timing case, crankshaft and upper oil pan gaskets. Or are these gaskets less prone to leakage than upper timing and valve cover ones?
Do you mean valve cover gaskets or valve stem seals?
I meant valve stem seals. the transfer pipes do not seal by pressing against the seal, so it does not matter that the URO pipe does not have threads. The seals are O-rings around the pipe, so a less than snug fit will not cause a failure. Also, the URO has shims to make sure the pipe fits reasonbly snug against the front and rear stops, but tight against the stops is not what makes the seal.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by 545iMike
You have to remove the harmonic balancer/ vibration dampener to remove the lower timing cover. Its part of the belt drive. Your not removing the timing chain. No need to set timing.

1 in the picture.
So the timing adjustment is need only when someone removes something from timing components? replacing valve stems requires removing camshafts and afterwards adjusting timing?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
I meant valve stem seals. the transfer pipes do not seal by pressing against the seal, so it does not matter that the URO pipe does not have threads. The seals are O-rings around the pipe, so a less than snug fit will not cause a failure. Also, the URO has shims to make sure the pipe fits reasonbly snug against the front and rear stops, but tight against the stops is not what makes the seal.
I am not quite familiar how that seal works but your point makes sense.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

[QUOTE=545iMike;1492927]You have to remove the harmonic balancer/ vibration dampener to remove the lower timing cover. Its part of the belt drive. Your not removing the timing chain. No need to set timing.

1 in the picture.
[/

Putting back that crankcase hub does not need special tool just torque wrench and no timing adjustment?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

So the timing adjustment is need only when someone removes something from timing components? replacing valve stems requires removing camshafts and afterwards adjusting timing?
I haven't done valve seals on this engine but usually you need to set the timing if the camshafts are removed. You might be able to get away with setting everything to TDC and marking the chain and cam gears. Here's a link to valve seals on a 7 series. DIY - Valve stem seal replacement - smoking / burning oil at idle - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Putting back that crankcase hub does not need special tool just torque wrench and no timing adjustment?
No timing, you might need a puller to get the hub off.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Members

just did the expandable pipe on my car using the bimmerpipes design. it was straight forward but that sleeve you have to roll up is a small pain. i got to the point i was installing the sleeve and just walked away and slept on it, came back the next day and it all went together like butter. 200 miles later, no leaks, but my trans is acting funny now... maintenance whore
Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW M3
Default BMW N62 V8 Coolant Pipe Repair Kit

Hello,

I am writing to tell you about a new BREAKTHROUGH method for repairing a leaking Coolant Transfer Pipe in the BMW N62 V8 engine block using the BimmerFix Stint. The N62 V8 is a popular BMW engine that was used from 2002 thru 2010, in such fabulous vehicles as the BMW 735i, 740i, 745i, 750i & Li, 645Ci, 650i, 540i, 545i, 550i, and the X5 SUV.

Located deep inside of this BMW N62 engine is a Coolant Transfer Pipe, which carries antifreeze from the Water Pump to cooling chambers within the engine. However, the Front Seal on this Cooling Tube can fail in as little as 40,000 miles, and start leaking antifreeze from the engine block, through a weep hole in the Timing Chain Cover. When this happens, the car will lose antifreeze from the engine, and the engine will overheat.

In the past, this has been a very expensive repair because it required disassembly of the engine, in order to access the leaking Cooling Pipe Seal. The original method of replacing the crossover Coolant Transfer Pipe required the removal of the Timing Chain Cover. This repair could cost $6,000 or more at the BMW Dealer.

Then, an after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe was developed to save time and money on this repair. This Collapsible Coolant Pipe method involves removing the Intake Manifold, cutting out the old Coolant Pipe and installing the after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe. But even this method required many hours of shop labor and expensive parts and supplies. The repair bill for this method can still cost between $1,500.00 and $2,500.00 to remove the Intake Manifold, cut out the old Coolant Pipe and install the new Collapsible Coolant Pipe.

However, BimmerFix Products Co. has discovered a BREAKTHROUGH system to stop the leak! The BimmerFix method is much faster and less expensive than these old methods. This simple, yet durable and long lasting method inserts the BimmerFix Stint into the leaking crossover cooling tube, through the Timing Chain Cover. The thin aluminum sleeve creates a long lasting repair that is much easier and less expensive to install than the old repair methods.

The new BimmerFix Stint will stop the Coolant Pipe leak, and only requires the removal of the Water Pump. This new patent protected invention can save YOU or your customer’s time, hassle, and thousands of dollars. It works or your money back!

Save time and money! Take a look at Bimmerfix Products Company - Bmw N62 V8 Coolant Transfer Pipe Repair Kit For Bmw 545i 550i 645ci 650i 745i 750i X5 And More By.

Watch The Video! You will be glad you did!

Thanks for your time!

BimmerFix Products Co.

Tucson, Arizona, USA