E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

US car in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More info on the phones.

If someone else can clarify please do.
I called Flow BMW which is in my home town of Winston Salem, NC about the phones used in US spec cars. The service rep expalined that if I had a bluetooth phone that I should be able to use my phone here with no problems. Then I asked him about cars coming with Bluetooth already installed. The answer to that was older productions are fitted for bluetooth but have to be installed by the dealership but, as cars are coming out there is a possability of already having bluetooth installed at the factory.

I guess I will have to check on Bluetooth. I will know more when I pick up my car tommorow.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Members

kigerka,
I assume that you are trying to use your phone in Germany. If so, it will not work because Europe in operating on a GSM system and US spec cars come with CDMA/TDMA systems. You would have to change the phone module in the trunk. If you are planning on staying in Germany for a while it may be worth it.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributors

I will be here until June 06. The states are using GSM as well, but I guess not in the BMW, and my phone is GPRS. It is a mess in my opinion. There needs to be one and one only so that it works anywhere. <_<
Old 06-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 10 2004, 10:26 AM
There needs to be one and one only so that it works anywhere.
TRI-BAND GSM would do the trick. The same TCU could be used in NA as well in Europe. Not sure though if there would be issues with Assist. But, that means BMWNA decides to do this. Doesn't match their MO so I'm not counting on it happenign soon.

For the short term (next 2-3 years) I think we're looking at a TCU swap out and then swap back when we rotate back to CONUS.

34 days to go....
Old 06-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Contributors

I think you are right. I am going to look into swapping the modules when I pick up the car Mon. I will find out the cost if they can do it and see if I can keep the module they swap it out with.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Contributors

I will tell you that if you have NAV it is diffferent becasue your voice commands are in miles but it displays in km. km commands do not work that I know of so far. more to come.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Icy
Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 11 2004, 11:50 AM
I think you are right. I am going to look into swapping the modules when I pick up the car Mon. I will find out the cost if they can do it and see if I can keep the module they swap it out with.
kigerka,

Any word from your dealer on what it would take to swap out the TCU?

Spec33,

Has your dealer started your test install?
Old 06-17-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Nothing yet, been working long hours. I will try and ask them tommorrow.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Members

well changing out the TCU in my car was a bust. They worked for two days. The final outcome was that they put my car back together and now my daytime running lights don't work and my phone says contact the dealer. Before I got the full screen just said "no net". Not sure why the swap did not work. They think if may have something to do with NAV (This is the tech talking). But, I got voice activation working
Old 06-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Contributors

All mine says now is contact the dealer. If that is it then it is not worth swapping.

Quick Reply: US car in Europe?