E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Urgent Assistance Needed Pls

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

So I recently picked up a new Remus quad exhaust system for an E60 and needed a dual-output diffuser that fits the M-Tech bumper. So I shopped around a bit and finally settled on an Ebay retailer that claimed to make such a diffuser specifically for the M-Tech bumper. Granted it was Chinese made but what isn't these days. So I decided to try it out...

Huge mistake... I went to install the unit today and ran into all kinds of fitment issues. The product is a complete piece of garbage. It's supposed to be "carbon fiber" and instead is fiberglass with carbon-fiber vinyl wrap that's been clear coated. Looks like carbon-fiber from the exterior, flip it over and it's definitely fiber-glass. I've been trying to make this POS fit for nearly 4hrs with lots of dremeling and grinding and it still looks like crap. Finally I decided to ditch the unit and back out of the install.

To my surprise, I'm unable to get my stock diffuser back on. I see from another thread that I'll likely have to remove my bumper to reinstall it. Not a huge problem, but if I'm going to remove my bumper, it will be to install the proper needed dual-output diffuser.

So now running around with no rear diffuser and have my dual-exhaust install on hold until I can come up with something. What are my options? Is there a factory fitment, dual-output, high quality aftermarket diffuser out there that I should be using instead? I think Haman makes one but it's very expensive. Would it be cheaper to get a pre-painted M5 bumper drop-shipped instead?

All input is appreciated...

Finally, some pics:

Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

What seems to be the problem with the fitment?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 PM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

dremeling and grinding -- what parts were those on?

Also where are you at in VA; I'm in VA too
Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Wow! Sorry to hear about the fitment issue. I am using an OEM Modified Rear Diffuser courtesy of EuroRev.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Members

^thanks.. I've reached out to EuroRev, waiting for a response.

The hacking & grinding was on the crappy fiberglass diffuser. The material thicknesses were all over the place and in some areas there was too much material for a snug fit. That wasn't the biggest problem however, which was the overall length. The aftermarket unit was simply too narrow in width leaving the huge gaps on each side that are pictured.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

Good luck with your dilemma... A lot of the Carbon Fiber items on eBay do like nice. I would stay away from the Made in China ones without prior recommendation from a couple people. Folks might have better luck with Made in Taiwan. Typically they have better manufacturing processes & standards for the smaller shops.

Did your wife say... "what exactly was wrong with the back of your car that you needed this????". Hope it works out for you. Did you hear from the seller that the fit was wrong?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GoRavens
Did your wife say... "what exactly was wrong with the back of your car that you needed this????".
Ha.. actually she hasn't even noticed yet. Although it won't be long as I'm currently running around naked without a rear diffuser until I can get this situation straitened out.