E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Update on Performance Woes from 20.01.00

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='233554
Hi Znod
I have been studying your post#66 and have come up with the following thoughts:
1-Time to speed & time to distance are similar but not the same.It appears your 0-10,20,and 30 times with 20.01 are very close to the times you got with 19.01.Other than your 1/8 times I don't see other time to distance figures for 20.01.I am curious what your 60' times are with 20.01.I have had some poor 60' times due to wheelspin but still registered decent 0-60 times.
Darn I missed this post before when you posted 2 in a row. Agreed, sometimes I don't record the times to distance. I'll go back and make a table.
Originally Posted by grogan545' post='233332
3-However the the period of time the trans takes to start & complete the shift is relevent.For example if the shift times for 19.01 took .3 sec and now with 20.01 the shift time is .5 sec,the .2 sec diff is lost time and cannot be made up.It is also possible that 20.01 more agressivley reduces torque during the shift which would temporarily reduce your acceleration rate.
Yes, that time is lost. A related consequence is a greater drop in RPM and additional torque loss--even if the reduction is not from more agressive software action.
Originally Posted by grogan545' post='233332' date='Feb 1 2006, 10:33 PM
In summary my best guess is that the quickness & firmness of the shifts with 20.01 are not as agressive as with 19.01.Note that other posters are reporting "smoother" shifts.Smoother is not conducive to faster times.
I don't know if there is a learning curve with the new software since we did no testing after previous updates.
Exactly. The whole issue simply may be shifting. Still, it is troublesome that I consistently get somewhat lower HP readings--by 20 HP or so. In this regard, I have been thinking about another, possibly concomitant, possibility. What if 20.01.00 is failing to load the more aggressive fuel map in DS? I mentioned this possibility once long ago, but now I am thinking about it again. Maybe!
[/quote]

You are correct,If the shift occurs say between 59 & 61 it would affect both segements(50-60,60-70),but I think you had a much larger discrepancy between 50 & 60 indicating maybe the shift was either complete or almost complete by 60.

My experience with some of the muscle cars I owned didn't show a noticeable increase in time even if I shifted 500 RPM lower.The engines in those days had very narrow torque peaks.Of course there were no engine management systems to get in the way.

On your horsepower issue you must remember that the GT2 derives horsepower from a number of inputs.It is strictly a calculation.Your time to speed is the only the only one that is changing in this equation,as your time increases your horsepower readings will decrease.It can't account for faulty shifts but just see's a slower time therfore you must be developing less horsepower.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

WAO and this tread keeps going.. well got CIP 20.0xx and all I can say my Idrive boots fast the car feels smoother and actually quicker (butt dyno) ...so unless it only applied to 545s Im very content with the upgrade..something that caused me a bit of concern is that they could not program the CCC-a unit the first time but they got it.. so far so good
Old 02-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='233589
I am in the process of making the"supreme sacrifice" Znod.My 545 is being updated to 20.01 as I write.It's a long story but a computer module has been replaced to repair my adaptive headlights and requires reprogramming.After much discussion the dealer insists that they must use the latest CIP version per BMW.I decide not to continue to fight and will look at it as a way to prove or disprove if 20.01 is the reason for your lower performance problems.No one else with 20.01 has GT2 data except you.I will do some runs as soon as weather conditions improve(50 deg or above)and compare data to my runs with 17.03 software.
I refuse to believe this is a permenant situation and it will be rectified in due time.
Oh boy. I still have my fingers crossed. Yes, the ultimate sacrifice for either you or I. Don Juan says all is well with his update to 20+. He is an acceleration-oriented guy so I trust his SOP dyno somewhat.

Did you see that I suggested sending me another email possiblity via PM? Apparently, I can't attach the files here.

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='233701' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:39 PM
WAO and this tread keeps going.. well got CIP 20.0xx and all I can say my Idrive boots fast the car feels smoother and actually quicker (butt dyno) ...so unless it only applied to 545s Im very content with the upgrade..something that caused me a bit of concern is that they could not program the CCC-a unit the first time but they got it.. so far so good
Good deal DJ. I am very happy for you (and green with envy ) that all seems excellent.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Good deal DJ. I am very happy for you (and green with envy barf.gif ) that all seems excellent. twoup.gif
Thanks Znod! i just feel the car more agile... but I have been driving it like if I stole it for the program to adapt quickly... that is so that a mercedes pulled up by me last nite (going arounf 40mph) he rev it ..I guned it and got a jump all of the suddem I was left in the dust to my surprise it was an SL65AMG (V12 twin turbo by the specs i found) .. oh well besides that whiping ass I got, the car still feels quicker than before
Old 02-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='233708' date='Feb 2 2006, 04:57 PM
Good deal DJ. I am very happy for you (and green with envy barf.gif ) that all seems excellent. twoup.gif
Thanks Znod! i just feel the car more agile... but I have been driving it like if I stole it for the program to adapt quickly... that is so that a mercedes pulled up by me last nite (going arounf 40mph) he rev it ..I guned it and got a jump all of the suddem I was left in the dust to my surprise it was an SL65AMG (V12 twin turbo by the specs i found) .. oh well besides that whiping ass I got, the car still feels quicker than before
Great DJ. I hope you will start a "Killed" thread in the "The Competition" section for fun and tell your story; it's a good one. Remember, there is a "Kills" thread there too; you could add your kills too. I'll go give the "Kills" thread a bump if I haven't already done so. Apparently, some of us are willing to share on the questionable activity. The Dolly Llama say: "Always insist being safe or at least minimizing the risks greatly."
Old 02-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='233589
My experience with some of the muscle cars I owned didn't show a noticeable increase in time even if I shifted 500 RPM lower.The engines in those days had very narrow torque peaks.Of course there were no engine management systems to get in the way.
Right, but my torque calculations show a fair differential decrease in torque for the 545i even if shifting is only 125 RPM early--i.e., differential drops of about 18 ft. lbs. for the 1-2 shift and about 8 ft. lbs. for the 2-3 shift. I speculated that these differential drops might cost one several tenths in the 1/8. Check out my post #66 again on these issues.

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='233589' date='Feb 2 2006, 02:00 PM
On your horsepower issue you must remember that the GT2 derives horsepower from a number of inputs.It is strictly a calculation.Your time to speed is the only the only one that is changing in this equation,as your time increases your horsepower readings will decrease.It can't account for faulty shifts but just see's a slower time therfore you must be developing less horsepower.
Right, if the GT2's HP readings are calculated as a function of time to speed, then the readings should automatically be lower--even if the engine has not actually been detuned. Is what you say definitely the way the GT2 derives HP? Of course, if the Step isn't the problem, then HP is because of some sort of engine management or detuning--accidental or otherwise.

Going to do the Z06 now.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' post='232848' date='Feb 1 2006, 12:44 AM
I'm getting another one of those headaches...
Hi Stream:

I hope your headache never developed or, if it did, that it went away soon. I would like to return to a status of neither of us being mad at the other, etc. I definitely am not mad at you.

I have apologized for being sarcastic. I did it with full awareness and take full responsibility. I worded my original repy to you too harshly and used too many words. One of my main points, which didn't seem to come through clearly, is that it appears to me that you are singling me out for a few transgressions and not saying the same sorts of things to others. So, I would appreciate it if you would refrain form doing so if that is what is occurring. Either way, as requested, if you have comments on what or where I post, then I would appreciate it if you would PM me rather than making your comments public. I think that using this procedure is best for avoiding misunderstandings and public squabbling regardless of the identity of the perceived offender. Thanks.

Best,

Znod
Old 02-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

E90 community is starting to question post CIP 20 performance as well see:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12168

Step tranny still seems a likely candidate
Old 02-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='233824' date='Feb 2 2006, 08:12 PM
E90 community is starting to question post CIP 20 performance as well see:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12168

Step tranny still seems a likely candidate
Thanks cd. And, exactly. Here is what the first post said:

"I don't know if it's only me but I'd like to find out if others are noticing what I've noticed on my E90 after getting the CIP 20 software upgrade on my car.
I've noticed that now when step on it the car is less aggressive . At When the pedal is to the metal, and shifting between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th I've noticed that the pull is not the same as before I took the car in for service. Does anyone have any *real and reasonable* explanation for this? Is it just me?"

My appointment is set for Tue. morn. at 8:00. Thanks for your advice again.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='233723' date='Feb 2 2006, 02:14 PM
Great DJ. I hope you will start a "Killed" thread in the "The Competition" section for fun and tell your story; it's a good one.

Or start a BEEN KILLED thread LOL SL65 AMG! I WANT THAT CAR!

Quick Reply: Update on Performance Woes from 20.01.00