E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Unlocking Passenger door from diver seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Thirdy' post='399701
Just beat me to it...
Usually, it happens in my garage after work -- I often leave the key in the car when it's in the garage...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Audi A6 had one button as well, but it was on the driver's door which made no sense to me. If I got out of my car with my wife in it and the engine running to go into a store or something, she couldn't lock the doors without reaching over to the driver's door. If you're going to have one button, it certainly makes sense to put it in the middle.

I still think that Lexus has the right idea. There are two buttons - one on the driver's door and one on the passenger's door. The buttons are rocker type where one side locks and the other side unlocks.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i | Silver Gray/Blk | Step-Tronic | Sport/Premium Package | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='399697' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:20 AM
I suppose it's in the middle so a passenger can operate it but in my opinion, the downside is that very often, I find myself outside the car with only the driver's door unlocked. Usually I'll want to open a rear door to get my briefcase out or something. In order for me to unlock the rear door, I have to struggle to reach into the car to press the button.
I agree w/ Rudy that the lock/unlock feature is somewhat an inconvience. For instance, I manually open the driver's door and double-park my car w/ engine on to assist my gf and when I try to open the trunk or any other doors, I find that it's locked and I have to reach into the car to press the button to unlock all doors. Offcourse, this whole scenerio is based on not unlocking the car doors by pressing the middle button in the first place. Maybe it's because I came from MB and all their cars unlock all doors when you manually open any front passenger doors. I'm still not use to this feature from BMW....
Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by terracotta' post='399776' date='Mar 7 2007, 12:27 PM
Maybe it's because I came from MB and all their cars unlock all doors when you manually open any front passenger doors. I'm still not use to this feature from BMW....

I think that can be set. I think mine unlocks the doors when I manually pull open the doors. Or is that in the Lexus?

Lexus has a awesome setting where if you manuall pull open the door within 10 sec of the engine shutdown it will unlock all the door or if you wait more than 10 secs it will only open the drivers door.

OR you can program it to always unlock all doors or just one door

OR always unlock all doors when you shift into park.

Too many options.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The button is in that location because there it can be used from both front seats and acn't be hit by accident only on purpose.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

Mine locks the doors when driving off (unusual for a UK car - the PO must have asked the dealer to enable it)
When stopped and you remove the key, all the doors then unlock.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='400080' date='Mar 8 2007, 08:50 AM
Mine locks the doors when driving off (unusual for a UK car - the PO must have asked the dealer to enable it)
This is set through the iDrive for UK spec cars so no need to dealer to do it as I had to with my old Audi.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

This is set through the iDrive for UK spec cars so no need to dealer to do it as I had to with my old Audi.

Dawi - is the menu for this hidden? I cant recall seeing the settings for this in the idrive menu (bog std nav if it makes a difference)
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='400132' date='Mar 8 2007, 02:08 PM

Dawi - is the menu for this hidden? I cant recall seeing the settings for this in the idrive menu (bog std nav if it makes a difference)
No it's not hidden. Can't recall exactly where it is now but it is grouped together with other locking functions such as whether you want to have the hazards flash on lock and unlock - you can have the visual confirmation or disable it - whatever your preference. I'll try and remember to look on my way home from work tonight...

I would have liked an option for an audible confirmation on lock but sadly that is not available. I find myself hesitating before walking away as I lock the car as the visual flash is somewhat more delayed than on all my previous cars. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='400080' date='Mar 8 2007, 08:50 AM
Diveleader, did you respond to this topic because of its unusual subject?

ABC

Quick Reply: Unlocking Passenger door from diver seat